Amp question.. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Amp question..

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new amp and I'm currently looking at a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, ENGL Powerball, and VHT Pitball 50/CL. I'm looking for an amp that has a real smooth lead tone. For music such as Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert type stuff. Out of these 3 amp's which one do you think could get me a smooth tone like that but still be able to push it for heavier rhythm type stuff. Thank's everyone. I can't try these amp's out where I live. I'd especially like to know about the VHT out of all of those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 02:27 PM

Re: Amp question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick911sc
I'm looking for an amp that has a real smooth lead tone.

how bout instead of dual recto for real smooth lead tone.. try a Mark IV or nomad series. Dual Rectos, for me, gave mesas a bad rep. they were not smooth at all. very girtty and harsh and in your face. i played the Mark IV and was blown away with how smooths the leads could get. it also can get pretty heavy for rock, but not in your face lie the recto. i dont' knwo much about the other 2 though.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 03:42 PM

Vox have smooth leads but i wouldnt say their dist is as good its pritty punk but thats is about as far as it goes for dist.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Maybe if someone could tell me about the VHT it would really help me out.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 03:53 PM

Sorry mate can't help you out with the VHT, but i can tell you about he Mesa Mark IV......

.....IT'S AMAZING!

I don't think i've ever achieved such a nice lead tone from that amp. I tried it out with some crappy godin guitar and even with that it just sounded out of this world. Mark IV really is the way to go i think
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

How heavy can the rythm's get on a Mark IV? I've always contemplated getting something along the lines of a Legacy but I don't know how heavy their rhythm's can get.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

What about the Mesa Stilleto amps?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick911sc
How heavy can the rythm's get on a Mark IV? I've always contemplated getting something along the lines of a Legacy but I don't know how heavy their rhythm's can get.

The rhythms can get pretty heavy and sound pretty good. Very tight and articulate.

One amp i would suggest not touching is the Mesa Rectoverb, it sounded damn awful. If you put the gain up it sounded far too thin and raspy, take some gain off and it sounded dead. To me it sounded terrible like an over expensive Crate
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 08:08 AM

I am asking this same question at the moment. Whats the go with a Mesa duel rec 3 channel?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 08:35 AM

Reviews: 1

I'd say if you want a smooth tone get the Mark IV, there are a few really heavy players that use them for rythem to. All the rest you mentioned are going to be more grainy, gritty.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 08:58 AM

Engl are the sweetest amps I ever heard, sometimes though you do feel they are geared more towards a "metal" player even though the clean channels are just as nice. Have played a mesa and i wasn't overly impressed by it compared to the engl.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 02:04 PM

Dude, try to A/B them. Wait until you can play one if need be. If you really like the sound of what you do get to hear, then buy it!

If it was me, I would go with the ENGL hands down. As for Mesa - I think they have better amps than the rectos like Mark IVs, Stilletos or Nomads but they arent my thing.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliciousteve
Sorry mate can't help you out with the VHT, but i can tell you about he Mesa Mark IV......

.....IT'S AMAZING!

I don't think i've ever achieved such a nice lead tone from that amp. I tried it out with some crappy godin guitar and even with that it just sounded out of this world. Mark IV really is the way to go i think
Not at the Music Live show by any chance? I tried one there too and the only guitar to play it with was a Godin. I agree though, very very nice tone and hugely versatile. People say you need to tweak them for ages, but I was pretty satisfied with most of the sounds I was getting.

Tags
boogie dual rectifier , dual rectifier , dual recto , engl powerball , mesa boogie , mesa boogie dual , mesa boogie dual rectifier , mesa mark , mesa recto , paul gilbert , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode