Amp question - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Amp question

OK, here goes. I don't know a lot about amps (other than where the power switch is and the knobs make it sound different ) I really fell in love with the clean tone of a Fender 59 bassman reissue. I currently have a Marshall half-stack. The head sounds very thin and weak to me, no depth, no body. The 59 Bassman had an incredibly deep and rich clean tone that I want. I also really love my Marshall cabinet, it's a 1960 Classic 4X12 with celestion Greenbacks. I want to keep the cabinet, So here is my question, I see that you can run basically any tube combo in the THD amps. If I get one of those THD amps and loaded it with the same set up as a 59 Bassman, 12AX7 in the preamp stage and 6L6's, would it achieve a very close tone to the Bassman? I know it won't be spot on, but pretty damn close?? I run a Digitech 2101 for distortion, so that wouldn't be a problem. Thanks guys. BTW, my head is a Marshall JCM 2550.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 06:10 PM

Re: Amp question

I wouldnt think so. Dont most Mesas have 12AX7 and 6L6s? DO they sound like the Bassman?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

See, this is the part where I have no idea. I don't even know what tubes are in my Marshall. Just seemed like the majority of the "voice" in an amp was in the tubes (I guess?). So I had hoped this would be a feasible solution. I can't really see myself playing a Jem through a Tweed 59 Bassman
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 06:20 PM

get different tubes!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Could I get pretty close to the Bassman tone by switching my Marshall head to the same tube set-up?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilkyBear View Post
Could I get pretty close to the Bassman tone by switching my Marshall head to the same tube set-up?
The Marshall is EL34s, I dont think you can throw 6l6s in there, but originally Marshalls were based off the 59 Bassman. Your best bet is probably to just bite the bullet and get the Bassman when the financial opportunity presents itself. If you cant wait that long, maybe start a thread about being angry that your dad wont give you one and hope jemsiters will start a collection for you.

That's a Jubilee Marshall right?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
If you cant wait that long, maybe start a thread about being angry that your dad wont give you one and hope jemsiters will start a collection for you.

That's a Jubilee Marshall right?
I really don't know what kind of head it is. It is pretty rare, not that it's valuable, because I don't think it is. I bought it in a pawn shop, mostly for the 4X12 cabinet with the greenbacks. It says JCM 50/25W MODEL 2550 on the face of it. Has Jim Marshall's signature on the other side (painted on). I know, it's only a 50 watt amp pushing the cab, it has a high and low power switch, but I rarely turn it up very far as I live in an apartment style building. I would just hate to get rid of the cabinet, but the Bassman is a combo so I would have no use for it if I switched.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 06:43 PM

You could probably run the Bassman into the cab, but then it wouldnt sound like the Bassman. I had a 2555SL 50 watt Slash Signature, which was just a Jubilee but not silver and it had Slash's name on it. It was a killer amp I wish I never sold, but like the story goes, I had 2 Marshalls and no money so one had to go. Although I think I let the wrong one go looking back on it.

Even if you didnt use the Bassman with the cab, it never hurts to have an extra 4X12 sitting around eventually you'll have a head for it again.
Basman is a hell of an amp though, but it's almost a sin to throw a distortion unit in front of it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

You said it, they sound soooo good clean it is unbeleivable. I was thinking of redoing my whole set-up. 59 Bassman, and then just getting a TC Electronics G System and going with a Hughes and Kettner Tubeman for distortion looped through the G System. Of all the gear I have played, this stuff sounded the best to me.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 06:59 PM

the tubes have a factor in the tone of the amp but the amp has it's own voice because of the tone stack (various resistors installed to cut/boost/shape the overall eq of the amp itself). The Bassman sounds good because it has different resisters assigned to each eq IE Bass Middle and Treble.

You can warm or tighten up certain frequencies of an amp by simply changing the tubes but the amp will still retain it's own sound.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 06:59 PM

That things less expensive than I thought it was. Damn you, now you got me thinking about them, and this was the year I dont go crazy buying gear.
Those 90s Vibro kings were killer amps too, I wonder what those go for used I know they were pretty pricey in their day
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 05:58 AM

Have you thought about getting a THD hot plate or similar? That will let you crank the Marshall a bit to let the tubes cook but still keep the volume reasonable. That will add a lot of depth to your tone.

Remember - Marshalls sound best when they're cooking!

Tags
clean tone , tube combo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode