Amp Recommendation - $1,000 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Amp Recommendation - $1,000

I recently bought a Vox AD50VT Valvetronix amp. It's a great amp, especially for the money ($325 out the door), but I've decided to return it and get something that will give me that real tube tone. I'm willing to go up to $1,000. I don't want anything too big as I will be playing this in my house only. I don't really want a Fender or Marshall. I'd consider just about anything else: Mesa, Peavey, Vox AC30, . . .

Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 07:04 AM

Re: Amp Recommendation - $1,000

I absolutely LOVE my Peavey Triple XXX Super 40 EFX. It's perfect for at home. Not too loud for at home (barely), awesome tone (all tube), and greate variety of sounds. Also, the EFX version has a small amout of digital effects (chourus, etc.) which eliminates the problem of pedals in my living room. Got mine used for $400 in MINT condition. Go try one out, I highly doubt you'll be disappointed.

Allen
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 07:38 PM

Used Mesa Mark III(~$700), problem solved. If you want less wattage and weight, and a bit less gain, then a used Mesa Studio .22+(~$450) would also be great.

What music do you play though?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 10:02 PM

+1 for the xxx.

Fantastic Amp, i wouldn't trade mine for anything.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectriK

What music do you play though?
I know I should have stated that first. I like three main sounds:

1. Heavy blues (SRV)
2. Satriani-esque (Blues/Rock)
3. I've also recently come to like the Joe Stump metal sound. Although I don't necessarily like the music, I have fun playing minor key scales and riffs using that tone.

In other words, I want the best of all words in a nice convenient package. Ever heard that before?

How about a Mesa Rectoverb Combo (Series 1)? I've come across a used one for about $700. I don't know anything about the Rectoverb/Recitifer sound. Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by ric232; 12-03-2005 at 08:47 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 11:07 PM

peavey xxx or jsx
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 11:14 PM

Peavey 5150?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric232
I know I should have stated that first. I like three main sounds:

1. Heavy blues (SRV)
2. Satriani-esque (Blues/Rock)
3. I've also recently come to like the Joe Stump metal sound. Although I don't necessarily like the music, I have fun playing minor key scales and riffs using that tone.

In other words, I want the best of all words in a nice convenient package. Ever heard that before?

How about a Mesa Rectoverb Combo (Series 1)? I've come across a used one for about $700. I don't know anything about the Rectover/Recitifer sound. Any insight would be appreciated.
the xxx is a good amp but just for home use its too loud IMHO, a mesa studio caliber/caliber .22 are great little amps. these evolved into the dc-2 models(seperate eqs for each channel), can get great cleans, great at mid gain stuff and can get some badass metal tones, similar to a recto but a tad more "refined" should i say and a little less of the recto chainsaw grind. at 20 watts of all tube tone you should be able to saturate the power amp enough to get it dripping with all sorts of good tone but it won't rattle your brain... on the other hand it'll still get pretty damn loud if you ever want to jam out with some buddies. the dc-2 are a little harder to find, but you could get a dc-3 which is 30 watts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 12:21 AM

I really recommend a Laney VH100R, does everything you want, Andy Timmons uses them, and he has one of best tones I've ever heard, and they aren't that expensive as well
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 02:19 AM

The new Carvin V3. Some of the clips from users are sounding quite good and putting the website ones to shame.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Those last two recommendations are 100W (tube) amps. Seems a little loud for home use.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 09:17 PM

V3 is switchable to 50 watts.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 10:24 PM

+1 on the xxx that amp is smoking i tried it at GC DAMN BITCH GOTTA LOVE ME SOME CHICKEN (that means get this amp or ill eat u)!!!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 01:28 AM

I just bought a Peavey Rock Master preamp and its amazing!!! I got it for $175.00 Shipped off of Jemsite actually!!! Its got 4 12AX7s in it and its very gainy!!!! Its amazing!!! I actually sold my ENGL Preamp cause the Rockmaste sounded better!!!! I just dropped in some JJ's 12AX7s for $40.00 and now its even better!!!!

Its very smooth sounding! If I plug my YJM Strat in to it and lower the gain a bit & add some delay/reverb I NAIL Yngwies tone! If I go to the Ultra channel and use my Carvin or my John Petrucci Sig Music Man it reminds me of Petruccis tone and Marcel Coenen!!! I love his tone! (check it out at www.marcelcoenen.com hes got a Media section Check out the movie clips! Holy **** hes good!)

Then I got a used Mesa 50/50 poweramp for $300.00

Grand total of $475.00 (or $515.00 if you get the JJ's) for an all tube rack amp!

Here are some clips of one. The gain is not all the way up on them and unfortionately these clips dont do the preamp justice.) I didnt record them but Ive talked to this guy several times. (Now these are modded Rockmasters, but mine is stock and sounds just as good, he just adds a bit of gain or lowers the gain and boosts the eq.)

http://www.fjamods.com/Clips.html

Ive owned TONS of Tube and Solid State amps in the past and this is the least expensive and is the best sounding!!!

If you got that youd have almost $500.00 left over! Thats alot of beer money!

Last edited by Progdude; 12-03-2005 at 01:38 AM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric232
How about a Mesa Rectoverb Combo (Series 1)? I've come across a used one for about $700. I don't know anything about the Rectoverb/Recitifer sound. Any insight would be appreciated.
The Rect-O-Verb is my favorite rectifier, but it's still geared a little more to metal tha any other style. I'd give a Nomad a look - I've been playing a Nomad-45 2x12 for, um, probably two years now, and the thing still inspires me. Smooth, creamy lead tones, great clean channel that can be driven into SRV-inspired grind with ease, and channel 3 modern is right up there with the Rectifiers for metal chunk.

It's sorta the swiss army knife of the Mesa line - it's not quite as smooth as a Mark, nor quite as brash as a Recto, but it's pretty darn close to both.

Tags
andy timmons , combo amp , joe stump , john petrucci , marcel coenen , mesa mark , mesa mark iii , mesa recto , peavey triple xxx , power amp , solid state amp , solid state amps , tube tone , yjm strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

free forum software recommendation
bare knuckle pickups recommendation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode