WHICH AMP?.......splawn nitro vs mesa boogie dual rectifier vs engl powerball - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

WHICH AMP?.......splawn nitro vs mesa boogie dual rectifier vs engl powerball

I can't decide on which of these 3 amps please give me your opinions.......i need a really good clean tone as long with great distortion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 12:26 AM

Re: WHICH AMP?.......splawn nitro vs mesa boogie dual rectifier vs engl powerball

Splawn does the best hot-rodded Marshall tone you can get. Rad cleans, plexi and JCM800 tones but with WAY more gain. Rectifiers are the industry standard high-gain amp. Everyone has heard the sound they make many times. Cool sound for sure....lots of sizzle. Powerball is like a 5150 on steroids, to me. Super-tight, high gain, tons of bass and thundering low-midrange that still cuts through the mix. Plus it has a gate built into it, and great versatile features. The clean channel rules on it.

I'd say for really heavy death/thrash metal styles, the Powerball wins. The Recto with a Tubesecreamer in front kicks major ass. Alone it's a bit flubby for tight rhythm stuff, but can work ok. Splawn is best for hard rock/metal, IMO. All rad amps, though.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 08:21 AM

Re: WHICH AMP?.......splawn nitro vs mesa boogie dual rectifier vs engl powerball

If I had to choose between those three, then it would be a Mesa Roadking Series II, which is in the Dual Rec class. Has the dirt of the Rectifier and the cleans of the Lonestar (best cleans Mesa has ever put out)..

The other two are also monsters in their own sense, more on the growl of the dirty channel, but that is to my own opinion.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 03:17 PM

Reviews: 39

If you are going to drop $1500+ on an amp, you need to decide what tone you want.

As 2203thrash pointed out, all 3 amps have their own voice. The Splawn is a hotrodded Marshall sound, the Recto is well...a recto...and the Engl is a tightly voiced bottom ended amp.

If you wanna save cash on a modern sounding amp, get a 5150. If you want a cheap(er) Mesa that sounds like a recto; get a .50+ caliber, and if you want Marshall tones - get a JCM and hotrod it! Spending big cash on tone is big cash unless you want brand or -that- tone.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 04:22 PM

Reviews: 2

Soldano SLO 100
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Thumbs up Re: WHICH AMP?.......splawn nitro vs mesa boogie dual rectifier vs engl powerball

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchfan6 View Post
Soldano SLO 100
Introducing that amp into the thread is cheating (but is also the correct answer )
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:08 PM

Reviews: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Introducing that amp into the thread is cheating (but is also the correct answer )
Bogner Uberschall.

Lets just throw all the name ultra drops.

You know, is it just me, or does the PRS Sewell sound sweeter and sweeter every time I hear it?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 08:04 AM

Reviews: 65

Those amps are as different from each other as fries and rice are as a side order...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 03:56 PM

had the powerball for a few years ,,, sold it cos the 5150 cut in the band mix better ,,,, still cool amp though , really enjoyed it ,,,,i have to say the 5150 isnt a great amp for cleans so the powerball would win on that front . mesa is good but never fancied one though i hear the new model is nicer ,,,, never tried a splawn but heard one live at a couple of gigs , seems to have lots of character and that total 80s metal vibe ,,,, think i would choose the splawn ,,,, the powerball is a bit more sterile but depending on the kind of music that might not be a bad thing ,.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 10:21 PM

Yep - choose the Splawn. The others might have more knobs, but Splawns just rule. I've got a Quickrod though, and haven't heard the Nitro.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 11:08 PM

Reviews: 130

Splawn Nitro--I have a Nitro and a Quick Rod--some of the best-sounding amps you'll ever hear. If you have the time, I'll be doing a review of each towards the end of the month.

Cheers,

Race
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:23 AM

I would go with the nitro
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 01:18 PM

Get Marshall JVM
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 05:21 PM

Reviews: 2

Ive never really been too impressed with engls they sound quite fizzy, but ive never been able to spend lots of time tweaking or been able crank one.
Splawns although ive never tried i assume are very marshall-esque which is great if you want a marshall tone with more gain, and rectos get alot of mixed reviews; some people love them others think they sound flubby and have an awful clean tone and are only good for rhythm metal playing.
Personally i would ignore tubes and go for an Axe-Fx or if a real tube amp was necessary maybe the mesa roadking recto or the Mesa Mark V/Mark IV (sorry to throw even more options in there lol)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:34 PM

Although I drank the coolaid and have been an axe user for over a year and quite happy,my last tube amp was a custom audio electronics pt100.It had stellar cleans, excellent mid gain and superb high gain.It was also the quietest tube amp I ever had.I seldom used a gate and gigged it dry.That said I don't regret selling it to fund the axe.

Tags
amplifier , engl powerball , mesa boogie , metal , splawn nitro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode