Ibanez JEM Forum banner
2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  rastachild 
#1 ·
Something I've noticed wih amp tone. It's hard to pridict how it will translate mic'd through pa. But I've determined this much. Bedroom amps, like Line 6 etc don't mic well. Those amps mimic guitar tone you hear on the radio or cd. Amps like Rectifiers sound a bit harsh, but mic much better. My FSS sounds good by itself. But mic'd sounds much better. What comes from a great high end tube amp is like raw tone. It goes through the mic, pa, speakers, and room and comes out clean and crisp and kicks butt. Sticking a mic in front of a modeled amp with built in everything tends to sounds a bit like mic'ing great guitar tone coming out of radio. Thin and lifeless.

#2 ·
Very very true. I had the hardest time adjusting when I first started playing out. Now I just try and get a good stage sound for me so I can play well and not worry too much about what comes out of the PA to the audience. Most of them don't care how it sounds (tonewise) anyway. :)

#6 ·
I agree. If you want to mic an amp, you need to spend some money into the microphone so that you can get the best sound you can get for a given budget. I was also looking at a presonus video which shows you how mic placement affects a recording:

Jimmy:smile:

#7 ·
I traded the JSX for the FSS. It was a need for smoother and less gain. There are somethings I liked better about the JSX. It had widow shaking wonk the FSS lacks. But the FSS has a tone I'm currently looking for. Plus its a combo, which I like better than a head and cab.

As far as mic placement. A small movement will do more the effect EQ than most people realise. Sat we played with mic placement on a Krank cab with Laney head. Big differences with small movements. But a 57 still seems to be the workhorse for mic'ing cabs.

#8 ·
As far as mic placement. A small movement will do more the effect EQ than most people realise. Sat we played with mic placement on a Krank cab with Laney head. Big differences with small movements. But a 57 still seems to be the workhorse for mic'ing cabs.
no doubt about that. i saw vinnie moore with ufo last night (phenomenal) and he had a small area on his speaker grill squared off with tape so the sound guys would know exactly where to place the mic. that is such a great idea for live playing, since it's doubtful you will be able to use your own mic in gigging situations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.