Amplitube vs Modelling Pedal - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Amplitube vs Modelling Pedal

Morning all

I head off to university in about 2 weeks and for obvious reasons i can't
take my 100 watt marshall combo amp. I'm looking into getting an amp modelling pedal so i can practice through headphones and use it for gigs if needed.

After doing some research i've come across the Amplitube App for iPhone which altogether would cost me in the region of 50 which is roughly the price I've seen Line 6 Pod 2.0s for second hand.

Any advice on which to get would be greatly appreciated as the music shop near me doesn't really stock anything. Also i don't want to spend more than 80 if possible as i don't think student accommodation is particularly secure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 07:55 AM

Re: Amplitube vs Modelling Pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhare46 View Post
Morning all

I head off to university in about 2 weeks and for obvious reasons i can't
take my 100 watt marshall combo amp. I'm looking into getting an amp modelling pedal so i can practice through headphones and use it for gigs if needed.

After doing some research i've come across the Amplitube App for iPhone which altogether would cost me in the region of 50 which is roughly the price I've seen Line 6 Pod 2.0s for second hand.

Any advice on which to get would be greatly appreciated as the music shop near me doesn't really stock anything. Also i don't want to spend more than 80 if possible as i don't think student accommodation is particularly secure.
Get an iPad/iPhone app. There are several to chose from and they also have loopers and the ability to load a backing track in and slow it down... Many other features as well. I like Jamup the best. But line 6 makes a free one to be used with their dongle and it also is supported in Jammit which is free... You just have to buy the songs.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Do the dongle/adapters from one company work with the apps made by another company, so for example i could use the line 6 donge with amplitube or whatever?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 12:15 PM

The line6 dongle is the only one you can use with their free app and it is the only one that will load the presets for Jammit but I think all the others are interchangeable. The others will work with Jammit, they just will not automatically load the presets designed for the song like the line6 one will.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 01:09 PM

+1 for JamUp. I bought the Irig interface because I read in a few places it seems structurally superior to the others (although they're all just a hunk of plastic). I bought Amplitube LE but as far as the presets go, JamUp sounds better for high gain, IMO. Agile Ampkit us fun to mess with too, they all work through the iRig interface.

To rout the iRig to an external speaker, you need a splitter cable with one 1/8" jack and two 1/4" TS jacks, and use only one of the 1/4's into the speaker or amp to avoid feedback. If you get iRig Stomp instead, this is not needed since it has a 1/4" instrument input, 1/4" L&R outs for speaker, an 1/8" for the phone and another for headphones, along with an input level knob.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 08:38 AM
JFT

You should also check Apogee Jam, very good audio quality and it works not just with your iPad/iPad but also with PC/Mac (http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam.php)

I tried a bunch of app on the iPad and ended up with Amplitube.

Pros:
- it emulates very well the dynamic of a tube amp,it will clean realistically when you rolloff the volume on your axe.
- the lowest latency of all the app I tried (even without engaging the ultra-low latency mode!)
- work well as a background application
- Slash package gives two very nice Marshall to play with
- Include basic multi tracking

Cons:
- Crude metronome
- Basic multi tracking does NOT allow edition just punch-in (if somebody found a way please let me know)
- It can get expensive when you buy all the goodies

The POD. 2.0 was ok in its time (I still have one) but it does not have much dynamic and rolling off the volume on your guit will only yield a lower volume, muddier tone rather than a cleaner one. The POD 2 will more or less makes every guitar sound the same. Amplitube and other good modelling however will let your guitar sings through and provide tube dynamics.

Cheers,
JFT

P.S. I had a friend that had an iRig after he tried my Apogee Jam he got one as well!

Last edited by JFT; 11-13-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Removed the comment about lack of looping, that's mostly what included multi-track is good for! (need more cofee :P)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 PM

i have Amplitude in my PC. Sounds ok for practice and experimenting with different tones/setup. can also download presets by users. If your pc has a good soundcard and speakers, its pretty good I must say. Through iphone/ipad, you can get the sound but little tiny
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 10:06 PM

Personally, I'm using the Jamup and BIAS apps by Positive Grid, and I'm getting these tones!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGfcZynda94
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 03:34 PM

Pod-2 is my first choice. I really don't like software-based computer products.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 10:42 AM

Guys, the first post said "I head off to university in about 2 weeks" and was posted 2 years ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode