Which amps have no pre-amp driven cleans? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Which amps have no pre-amp driven cleans?

I know the XXX and JSX don't use pre-amp tubes to drive the clean channel, which is mainly why they have no character on that channel. How about the Legacy and other comparable amps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 04:05 PM

Exclamation Re: Which amps have no pre-amp driven cleans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister CCJ View Post
I know the XXX and JSX don't use pre-amp tubes to drive the clean channel, which is mainly why they have no character on that channel. How about the Legacy and other comparable amps?
this is definitely not true for the JSX:

http://www.peavey.com/assets//litera...00575450_2.pdf

p10 shows the schematic, the first thing your guitar meets at the input is a tube stage, after the channel switching the Clean channel has EQ (solid state) and another tube stage. The clean channel thus uses at least two tube stages in the pre-amp section.

http://www.peavey.com/assets//litera...s/00456390.pdf

the XXX is the same. Twin tube stages in the clean pre-amp.

Last edited by eviltwin; 11-22-2007 at 04:08 PM. Reason: XXX added
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 04:49 PM

Re: Which amps have no pre-amp driven cleans?

The Legacy has the single most spectacular clean I have ever heard from an amp. It has a very strange compressed quality that sounds completely different from anything I've ever heard before. This makes up for the mediocre drive channel.

I object to your criticism of the JSX. The clean channel was designed specifically so that Joe could set up any pedal he wanted in front of the amp, and still sound good. The clean is very clean. Some people like that (I do), and some people don't.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyr Machine View Post
The Legacy has the single most spectacular clean I have ever heard from an amp. It has a very strange compressed quality that sounds completely different from anything I've ever heard before. This makes up for the mediocre drive channel.
Vai's lead tone is mediocre?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood42 View Post
Vai's lead tone is mediocre?
I honestly don't recall saying that. Maybe you could point out where I said that Vai, who didn't start using the Legacy until recently, and who runs his guitar through $10,000 worth of rack effects, has a mediocre lead tone?

That said, I'm not a fan of his Legacy-era tone. He reached his tonal peak with Alien Love Secrets.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:
I honestly don't recall saying that. Maybe you could point out where I said that Vai, who didn't start using the Legacy until recently, and who runs his guitar through $10,000 worth of rack effects, has a mediocre lead tone?

That said, I'm not a fan of his Legacy-era tone. He reached his tonal peak with Alien Love Secrets.
His current lead tone is essentially the legacy with a tubescreamer. He also doesn't use $10,000 worth of rack effects. The only things on his rack are a legacy, a backup legacy, and a g force
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
this is definitely not true for the JSX:

http://www.peavey.com/assets//litera...00575450_2.pdf

p10 shows the schematic, the first thing your guitar meets at the input is a tube stage, after the channel switching the Clean channel has EQ (solid state) and another tube stage. The clean channel thus uses at least two tube stages in the pre-amp section.

http://www.peavey.com/assets//litera...s/00456390.pdf

the XXX is the same. Twin tube stages in the clean pre-amp.
*****!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood42 View Post
His current lead tone is essentially the legacy with a tubescreamer. He also doesn't use $10,000 worth of rack effects. The only things on his rack are a legacy, a backup legacy, and a g force
you're mistkaen then. Vai uses a ton of rack effects, tons of them
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 09:57 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo1299 View Post
you're mistkaen then. Vai uses a ton of rack effects, tons of them
Nah, he's switched out. Look for a copy of Septembers Guitar World, and you get to see his current set-up. He explains that throughout his career and different bands, he's liked to change his sound a bit, and with time he adjusts himself according to what he needs on stage. He wanted a set-up that sat right in front of him with all access. The only thing left in his rack are a korg tuner and i believe a EQ , but don't quote me on the latter.

On the floor he has everything from his morley wah's, to his Od-1 , to the G-system foot unit etc.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
Nah, he's switched out. Look for a copy of Septembers Guitar World, and you get to see his current set-up. He explains that throughout his career and different bands, he's liked to change his sound a bit, and with time he adjusts himself according to what he needs on stage. He wanted a set-up that sat right in front of him with all access. The only thing left in his rack are a korg tuner and i believe a EQ , but don't quote me on the latter.

On the floor he has everything from his morley wah's, to his Od-1 , to the G-system foot unit etc.

hmm, interesting. I didn't read that issue. sorry guys
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 10:57 AM

Reviews: 65

He still uses rack mounted harmonizers midi controlled by the G-System and the G-System itself can do tons of effects. (Actually it can do all effects that he had his 10.000 bucks effect rack before, prolly why he switched apart from getting money from TC to play it.)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post

That diagram wasn't entirely accurate. He doesn't run two legacy's in stereo, he only uses oen. And he doesn't use the line out into the carvin power amps like the diagram indicates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
He still uses rack mounted harmonizers midi controlled by the G-System and the G-System itself can do tons of effects. (Actually it can do all effects that he had his 10.000 bucks effect rack before, prolly why he switched apart from getting money from TC to play it.)
No he doesn't, I was two feet away from his rig. The only rack effect he uses live is the g force
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Couldn't agree more with your comment regarding his tone on the ALS era, that sound was unbelievable

Tags
morley wah , power amp , power amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode