Amps that react well to pedals? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Amps that react well to pedals?

I've recently got quite keen on overdrive and dist pedals, but unfortunately, they don't really seem to sound particularly good through my TriAxis rig. My Keeley DS-1 always sounded pretty tinny on the clean channel, but i didnt really think much of it.

I tried it though my Marshall AVT100 before selling the amp and it sounded amazing on it's clean channel! Really clear yet chunky - NOTHING like it sounded on the TriAxis.

Anyway, i just got a Maxon OD-808 and I'm thinking i could dump the rack setup and just got for a combo/head-cab and pedalboard.

I'm really thinking about a Carvin Legacy or a Mesa Lonestar because they've both got fantastic clean tones and a really nice drive channel. But can anyone tell me how they react to pedals? I'm guessing by Vai's usage that the Legacy can take pedals pretty well on the lead channel without getting too noisy or fuzzy, but what about the clean channel?

Anyone got any other recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:09 PM

Re: Amps that react well to pedals?

It depends on the amp and pedals how well they work together.
All of my amps seem to love my FullDrive 2 Mosfet though.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 09:31 PM

Ummmm, I can't honestly see what you'd get running a tube emulating overdrive pedal in front of a TriAxis, which has already got more tube gain available than mankind really needs.....

Having said that, what about putting the OD808 in the effects loop of the TriAxis, and if you find the sound a bit thin still, try winding up the Dynamic Voice to compensate?

If you want to go down the Tube Amp and pedals route, there's a local guy around here who has a bunch of very boutique pedals sitting in front of a Fender Twin Reverb (pretty sure it's a reasonably recent 85watt Blackface reissue), and his guitar tone is unbelievably fat and gnarly. Helps of course that he is a superlatively good player!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Ummmm, I can't honestly see what you'd get running a tube emulating overdrive pedal in front of a TriAxis, which has already got more tube gain available than mankind really needs.....
Don't get me wrong, I love the tones i can get from my TriAxis, but i just couldn't get a good bluesy broken up clean tone, and the tubescreamer gave me what i was looking for.

Quote:
Having said that, what about putting the OD808 in the effects loop of the TriAxis, and if you find the sound a bit thin still, try winding up the Dynamic Voice to compensate?
The OD808 sounded great on the clean channel, its my other pedals that didn't work very well, and i was surprised how good they sounded on the clean channel of my old hybrid Marshall. Ive had the DS1 for ages, and have spent hours trying to tweak the amp to work with it, but it always sounds too sterile.

Quote:
If you want to go down the Tube Amp and pedals route, there's a local guy around here who has a bunch of very boutique pedals sitting in front of a Fender Twin Reverb (pretty sure it's a reasonably recent 85watt Blackface reissue), and his guitar tone is unbelievably fat and gnarly. Helps of course that he is a superlatively good player!
Thanks, i guess the best thing to do would be to try a few amps out and see what happends. I was looking at the legacy and lonestar because i know their clean and lead channels would suit me well anyway, and with just a little OD and EQ i could probably get any other tones i wanted too.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:13 AM

Reviews: 18

Don't forget to try out a JSX. You'd be amazed at how well it can take effects and give you an incredible sound.

Jimmy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 09:21 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGuitar View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love the tones i can get from my TriAxis, but i just couldn't get a good bluesy broken up clean tone, and the tubescreamer gave me what i was looking for.
Really? You don't like the factory preset of the clean mode cranked? #6 is cool I like it with my power amp, cab, and guitars.

In any case, the Carvin Legacy takes pedals very well and you absolutely need one to get the clean channel to break up even at live stage volume. Another excellent amp for pedals is a THD Flexi-50. Check it out.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotechnology View Post
Really? You don't like the factory preset of the clean mode cranked? #6 is cool I like it with my power amp, cab, and guitars.

In any case, the Carvin Legacy takes pedals very well and you absolutely need one to get the clean channel to break up even at live stage volume. Another excellent amp for pedals is a THD Flexi-50. Check it out.
Yeah they sounded a little too smooth and nice, i wanted something with a bit of grit to it, while keeping a smooth midrange.

Thanks for the advice, ill check out the THD too.

Tags
clean tone , david mccarroll , fender twin , fender twin reverb , marshall avt , overdrive pedal , power amp , rack setup , tube amp , twin reverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode