Another alternative to linseed oil, after sanding the neck? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Another alternative to linseed oil, after sanding the neck?

I'm always sanding the neck of my strats because I like them to be fast, and I use linseed oil to protect them.

Is there some good alternative to linseed oil that doesn't slow your neck and and it dries faster?

any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:04 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Another alternative to linseed oil, after sanding the neck?

Tung oil is a popular option, not sure on whether or not it's faster drying. Gunstock oil is used sometimes too.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

Thanks man, I'm gonna try tung oil this time...
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 04:20 PM

Reviews: 11

Most "tung oil" you will buy, off the shelf, will be in fact linseed oil, mineral spirits, and shellac. If you are using PURE linseed or PURE tung oil, it will take weeks to dry. Using "boiled" and "drying" oils speeds that time up to a day or so. Using steel wool after you finish the neck will get rid of any"tackiness" that slows you down.

Dont want to risk it? Get some GOOD gunstock oil.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 03:08 AM

Best stuff I've tried is Tru-Oil by Birchwood Casey. It's made for gunstocks, and is more than just an oil, it's more of a polymerized finish, and it dries hard. Warmoth warrants their neck if it's used, but not if you just use Tung Oil or some other kind of oil. Do a couple of coats rubbed into the finish with your finger tip, buff with a soft cloth, and your neck will feel like an old pair of jeans that's well worn in.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 01:20 PM

Reviews: 34

Once it has been sanded to 600 ish burnish the neck with some maple wood shavings, then:
Shellac sanding sealer - 2 coats with a light rub with steel wool between coats
Danish oil - 1 or 2 coats with steel wool in between coats.
After it has all dried I polish with beeswax. I then use my hand to rub the neck vigorously to generate a bit of heat to seal the wax (becareful not to burn your hand). Then I use a polishing cloth. If there is an sticky feel I give it a light rub with steel wool again.

This technique is an amalgamation of tips I have got from people on jemsite (and others) over the years and I have used it more than once. It really brings out the grain and it feels soooooo good.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:11 PM

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:51 AM

Reviews: 6

From the EBMM FAQ:
http://www.ernieball.com/faq/3-MusicMan-Guitars-FAQ#1

"Q: How do I clean and maintain my Music Man neck?
A: To clean the neck, use a high-grade of lemon oil. If the neck is very dirty, try Murphy's Oil Soap diluted 3:1. Some players have found that using a toothbrush for cleaning is very effective. Since the neck is finished only with the gunstock oil/wax blend, it is more susceptible to humidity changes. A very infrequent dose of gunstock oil will help to keep the neck maintained; we recommend Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil, but any good quality gunstock oil will work. Use a small amount, leave it on for just 5 minutes, then it off with a paper towel. After that, apply Birchwood-Casey Gunstock Wax. Be sure to douse the paper towel with water before disposing of it! Read the wax and oil manufacturer's instructions regarding disposal of these used paper towels. Birchwood-Casey products are available at most sporting goods or gun stores or directly. Their web address is www.birchwoodcasey.com Rosewood fingerboards should not be treated with the gunstock oil; instead they should be treated with a high grade of lemon oil. Again, for cleaning, try using the same high grade of lemon oil to clean the entire neck, both maple and rosewood fretboards. Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes Fretboard Conditioner are excellent for frequent cleaning and maintenance as they are very effective and string removal is not necessary. If the neck is very dirty, you can use a small amount of Murphy's Oil Soap, diluted 3:1 to clean it. Keep in mind that if the dirt has gotten into the wood, it cannot be removed except by sanding it down, which we do not recommend. It is better to keep it clean in the first place. Washing your hands first helps! On an unfinished neck, some discoloration after many hours of playing is normal. Be sure to follow all of the manufacturers recommended safety precautions when using any of these oils or waxes."
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
That's the stuff I was talking about a while back! I love it.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbaline View Post
Best stuff I've tried is Tru-Oil by Birchwood Casey. It's made for gunstocks, and is more than just an oil, it's more of a polymerized finish, and it dries hard. Warmoth warrants their neck if it's used, but not if you just use Tung Oil or some other kind of oil. Do a couple of coats rubbed into the finish with your finger tip, buff with a soft cloth, and your neck will feel like an old pair of jeans that's well worn in.
are you still using a sanding sealer before or is this on the bare wood?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
are you still using a sanding sealer before or is this on the bare wood?
Right on the bare wood, just sanded it down really smooth first, like 320 or 400. Works great and easy to apply. I think that's what EBMM uses on their necks too.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Right on the bare wood, just sanded it down really smooth first, like 320 or 400. Works great and easy to apply. I think that's what EBMM uses on their necks too.
giving it a shot. Thanks-
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
giving it a shot. Thanks-
Good luck. And check out the forums at reranch.com; those guys are experts at all aspects of refinishing. It's where I learned all about Tru-Oil.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Good luck. And check out the forums at reranch.com; those guys are experts at all aspects of refinishing. It's where I learned all about Tru-Oil.
awesome.. will do. Thanks for the tip!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
From the EBMM FAQ:
http://www.ernieball.com/faq/3-MusicMan-Guitars-FAQ#1

"Q: How do I clean and maintain my Music Man neck?
A: To clean the neck, use a high-grade of lemon oil. If the neck is very dirty, try Murphy's Oil Soap diluted 3:1. Some players have found that using a toothbrush for cleaning is very effective. Since the neck is finished only with the gunstock oil/wax blend, it is more susceptible to humidity changes. A very infrequent dose of gunstock oil will help to keep the neck maintained; we recommend Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil, but any good quality gunstock oil will work. Use a small amount, leave it on for just 5 minutes, then it off with a paper towel. After that, apply Birchwood-Casey Gunstock Wax. Be sure to douse the paper towel with water before disposing of it! Read the wax and oil manufacturer's instructions regarding disposal of these used paper towels. Birchwood-Casey products are available at most sporting goods or gun stores or directly. Their web address is www.birchwoodcasey.com Rosewood fingerboards should not be treated with the gunstock oil; instead they should be treated with a high grade of lemon oil. Again, for cleaning, try using the same high grade of lemon oil to clean the entire neck, both maple and rosewood fretboards. Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes Fretboard Conditioner are excellent for frequent cleaning and maintenance as they are very effective and string removal is not necessary. If the neck is very dirty, you can use a small amount of Murphy's Oil Soap, diluted 3:1 to clean it. Keep in mind that if the dirt has gotten into the wood, it cannot be removed except by sanding it down, which we do not recommend. It is better to keep it clean in the first place. Washing your hands first helps! On an unfinished neck, some discoloration after many hours of playing is normal. Be sure to follow all of the manufacturers recommended safety precautions when using any of these oils or waxes."
YOU CAN NOT USE LEMON OIL ON MAPLE. YOU WILL NEVER GET IT TO DRY AGAIN

Lemon oil and the maple oil is to close together and the maple grabs the oil and holds it forever. Ever walk in to Guitar Center and pick up a maple fretboard guitar and it's really sticky and oily? Just walk away or ask if they have more in the back.

I read on the Martin site they recommend using 3-in-1 oil on their rosewood boards, which is a lot like gunbore oil so that's what I use.

Tags
fast neck , guitar , sanding neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode