Any experience here with ZOOM effects? Any good? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Any experience here with ZOOM effects? Any good?

The reason I ask is there's a local music store here having a closeout sale (going out of business) and they have several models of Zoom effects pedals on sale, in the sub-$100 & sub-$150 price range. I'm going to throw out some model names here that I think I remember seeing in the store last night, on sale: G1, G1X, G2, ZFX-3... ?

My current amp is a Roland Cube 30X. Would I be able to use one of those devices with my amp just fine?

(still a noob here and have zero experience with external effects add-ons.)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 02:07 PM

Re: Any experience here with ZOOM effects? Any good?

Take a look at the reviews at harmony-central.com, they have a large user-review database.

Good luck with the effects!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 02:28 PM

get a POD and don't look back.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 03:13 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
get a POD and don't look back.
Yes, definately better than the Zoom stuff I've tried.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 PM

I use a Zoom G2.1u, it's awesome, but if I had the money I'd rather get individual effects or a Line6.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 04:47 PM

I had a Zoom 505 back in the day and that thing was great considering how cheap it was. I think they make decent sht.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 07:13 PM

Reviews: 120

I've got a Zoom G7.1ut and I get some great sounds out of it. The G2 (or G2.1u) has a similar group of amp sims, stomp boxes and effects so it should be pretty nice too if that's what you can afford.

I personally love using the JCM800 crunch sim (MS Crunch), pushing it to 100, adding high compression and using mega boost to make it scream like a hot-rodded JCM 800, sounds great!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermau View Post
I had a Zoom 505 back in the day and that thing was great considering how cheap it was. I think they make decent sht.
A buddy of mine had one of those back in the day, and his (and my) view was about the same. If you can go higher, you can get better quality, but if you're on a budget, it'll hold up.

Edited to add... if you're a noob, buying a cheap fx pedal to figure what you use/don't use might be a good idea so that if/when you purchase a high qual one, you know what to prioritize for... just my two cents.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:47 PM

yeah, the Zoom 505 is a real POS, especially after you play around with Line6 stuff..
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermau View Post
Yeah, I had a 606 like five years ago, I paid like $75 and it gave me a HUGE tonal palette from which to choose.

They make good effects, especially for the price you're paying. BUT, they're not top of the line.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 08:18 AM

ive had 2 effects units since i started guitar 13 years ago zoom4040 zoom8080 4040 was crap 8080 was miles better but both units are complicated to store your own patches
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 08:51 AM

Reviews: 26

zoom multi effects... zoom E1010 was my first ever multi effect pedal.. ages ago.. well that tyme it was pretty awesome.. im not sure about the new zoom pedals nowadays..
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 10:42 AM

Reviews: 5

My Zoom 505 sounded amazing with headphones on but as soon as it was plugged into my amp - bleh. It was horrible - almost all the distortion models were sounding the same.

I sold that and got a digitech rp series.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 09:12 AM

Reviews: 9

I have a GFX-8 and am really happy with it. I'm running it through my Ibanez Tone Blaster 100 combo amp and can get a nice thick sounds and crystal cleans. I picked it up for under 100.00 and had to just download the manual from the ZOOM site.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
yeah, the Zoom 505 is a real POS, especially after you play around with Line6 stuff..
...and is also ten year old technology, and in a completely different price range. You're comparing apples to, well, Apples, dude.

FWIW, a mesa endoorser buddy of mine has been demoing with a Zoom modeler - he's floored by just how good the Rectifier model sounds on it. I was even surprised when I heard a few clips. Zoom stuff isn't the greatest on the market, but if you want to get into effects for cheap it's not a bad buy at all. I used to own a 505 waaay back in the day when they first came out - it wasn't amazing, but it was fun.

Tags
combo amp , local music store , music store , pod pro , power amp , roland cube , stomp box

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode