Any locking tuners that fit without drilling? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Any locking tuners that fit without drilling?

Having tried locking tuners on a non-Ibanez guitar, I want to replace tuners on my RG3120 with locking ones. However, I don't want to drill anything. Does anyone know if there are locking tuners that fit on Ibanez guitars without any modification of the headstock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 06:40 PM

Re: Any locking tuners that fit without drilling?

I am pretty sure that the Sperzels will retro. The Schallers might also. If your guitar has the Gotoh style sealed tuners then you can retro.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 10:33 PM

The sperzels require a hole in the headstock to keep them from shifting but this is underneath the base of most tuning keys, so they should fit just fine. Although my big question is why you want locking tuners on a 3120 that has A LOCKING NUT>
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
The sperzels require a hole in the headstock to keep them from shifting but this is underneath the base of most tuning keys, so they should fit just fine. Although my big question is why you want locking tuners on a 3120 that has A LOCKING NUT>
Simple. To turn the knobs less when installing new strings. With non-locking you have to leave quite a bit of the string and then turn it onto the post so that it doesn't unwind on you. With locking, one turn around the post is enough, since string is locked in place anyway.

The thing is, I don't want to either drill any holes or leave any holes uncovered. I'm looking for tuners which have the same mount layout as "stock" ibanez tuners.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdmitry
Simple. To turn the knobs less when installing new strings. With non-locking you have to leave quite a bit of the string and then turn it onto the post so that it doesn't unwind on you. With locking, one turn around the post is enough, since string is locked in place anyway.

The thing is, I don't want to either drill any holes or leave any holes uncovered. I'm looking for tuners which have the same mount layout as "stock" ibanez tuners.
I dont really know of any locking tuners that are a complete retrofit, as ive mostly only dealt with sperzels but these are rather non-invasive, and are the best lockign tuners ive had the opportunity to use.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 12:01 PM

Gotoh makes locking tuners. They're the same tuners with an auto lock shaft. They're my favorites. They're obviously a direct fit, and they work great.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Frank, what model are you using, and where did you buy yours?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 04:20 PM

I've gotten them from Stew Mac, but now they seem not to have them. I imagine they're out there used. They came stock on the Ibanez Maxxas, 442R and 542R, and some SV470's among others. Here's a good shot of them on the RV470:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1993/r_2.jpg

They're out there. There are chrome ones in an auction right now, # 270001967493 for example. Musicians Friend seems to have them here:

http://www.***************.com/produ...ack?sku=361070

You might try Stew Mac anyway, even though they aren't listed. They may still have some, but just pulled them from the website.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 06:30 AM

Ditto on what Frank said about the Gotohs, and I'll add that the RT650 and 750 also came with them.

Also, someone said in a similar thread awhile back that the Planet Waves Auto-Trims were a direct swap for the Gotohs used on the Ibanez. You might want to search on "locking" to verify that I'm remembering correctly. I have no experience with those -- could someone confirm if that is right?
Bert
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 06:50 AM

I can only recommend Schaller locking tuners . Don't know if they are a direct swap with the non-locking Gotohs on Ibanez.

Regards

André

Tags
ibanez guitars , locking nut , locking tuners , planet waves , schaller locking , schaller locking tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode