Any OT transformer recommendations? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Any OT transformer recommendations?

I just checked for the first time and realized my SL-X has a Dagnall transformer (which are quite cheap!). It sounds great but I bet it would sound better with a Drake in it.

I am having troubles finding a Drake OT transformer for a 100 watt head, but I have heard OEI's reissues are good as well as Mercury Magnetics (in fact, I heard they are comprable aside from the price - the OEI is cheaper!).

Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to something NOT cheap I could put in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 05:14 PM

Re: Any OT transformer recommendations?

I don't think an OT upgrade will make a good bang for the buck upgrade for that amp. The slx is more about premp tone than ot/power tube.
If you are intent on OT check out a heyboer also. There is a good article on OT's at legendarytones.
If you want to upgrade the tone on that amp throw a fistful of Mullards or RFT's in the preamp section.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

While it may be a lot about preamp tone, the power section is quite warm and would be effected quite a bit, provided that I don't just turn the preamp gain all the way up and the MV down.

I've been hearing great things about the OEIs, often how much of a difference there is between an OEI and a Dagnall. It's not like the amp doesn't already sound good - it's just that it could probably sound better!

The PT is fine, it's the OT I am more interested in.

Thanks for reminding me, I have to buy some RFT 12AX7s for my Marshall Major which is getting retubed and redone soon - can't wait believe me it's been a while! Personally I think they're almost as good as a Mullard but a better bang for the buck as you can find them cheaply these days!

Last edited by red5; 08-15-2005 at 04:39 PM.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 07:09 PM

Try gcaudio for the RFT's $45 a pair NOS.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

thetubestore.com sells them for $25, just ordered a pair of them (already got a RFT 12AU7 for it). tubedepot.com had them for around $30 too but were out for a while.

Tags
amp tone , preamp gain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode