ANybody here own an Ecstacy?? just curious - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

ANybody here own an Ecstacy?? just curious

Hey..i've been wondering about these amps for some time after finding out the alien love secrects was done with that amp (and a few others ) i think thats the best tone vai has ever recorded! And wondered how many people had them here and what they thought of them. I must say cruising by the bogner website yeilds some pretty impressive sound samples.

whats your thoughts?

track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 12:01 AM

love em.

wish I had one, big time
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 03:02 PM

Ditto. Right after I find someone willing to take my liver in exchange for one, I'll post some clips.

I guess it was his G3 setup, too.

-D
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 04:26 PM

If you read just about any of my posts youll see all kinds of tips or facts about the XTC. Ive been using one for years. Its definitly the ALS tone. And the first G3 tone. Although only 1 or 2 tracks were recorded on ALS without a DS-1 running before it. Its hard to describe its tone. Its modern high gain like a Soldano but has more character. Its more beefy and midrangey. It has a midrange bite. Like an old cranked plexi (EVH style). Not exactly like that but DEFINITLY reminds you of it.

When I say it has more character that doesnt necessarily make it better. Ive been using my 100B as my main amp for about a year. Ive recently gone back to the Soldano as my main gigging amp. Its just a very crystal clear amp. Ill probably get a little tired of that sound after a while and go back to the Bogner.

Here's one seriouse tip I always make. Get the 100 XTC instead of the 101. The 101 is harsher and more mid heavey (in a bad way). Its honky and has no cut through compared to my 100B. A while back I thought I would like the 101B better becouse of all the options. I traded the 100B in and bought a 101. Man was I sorry. Right away I noticed the problems Ive mentioned before. Also the options I thought were cool, were just anoying. I didnt use the boost switches. The preEQ switches didnt do THAT much for me. And I really missed the built in variac on the 100.

I wound up going back to a 100 and selling the 101. Im sure Bogner would make the spec changes from a 101 to a 100 for the right price. On the used market the 100's usually go for alot cheaper. Ive seen them go for about $1800 on ebay.

I dont like sound samples on websites. For one its misleading. For another it leaves out the one thing that guitarists use to judge an amp beyond all else. That is how the amp plays. How it feels playing it with the rest of your rig. How it sounds and how it sounds while your playing it can be vastly different in your own perspective.

Its also not the end all be all. I have vintage amps I paid 400-600 bucks for that I like just as much. Its not the end-all of amps but it is one hell of an amp. Unmatched in modern high-gain. Theres other great high-gain amps but none touch what the bogner does.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode