Anybody using 9-46 strings on a RG3120? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Anybody using 9-46 strings on a RG3120?

I've put a set of 9-46 on my RG3120 and it pulls up the bridge too high and there's nothing I can do about it. The spring cavity seems to be too short to adjust the tension in a wide range. Even if I arrange the strings in a "triangle" there's still not enough tension. Another bummer is, you can only have 3 springs there, no more. I should probably have put this message in that "suggestions to Ibanez" section. How do you like the guitar that is only designed for one string gauge?

Took it to Mike Lull for adjustments. He will also lower the nut on it which was a tad high for my tastes. Three days without my main axe is a huge challenge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 09:16 AM

you are using a hybrid gauge, that excessive bridge pull-up is unavoidable as ibanez guitars are factory equipped with 9-42 string set.

you mean you can't screw in the trem spring screws any further into the body?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 09:18 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Another bummer is, you can only have 3 springs there, no more.
see the jemsite tech area for using 4-5 springs with the Edge... glen
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 10:39 AM

Mike Lull? that famous Pearl Jam and every other Seattle band tech?
I guess he charges a lot, for something you can do yourself following either jemsite.com or ibanezrules.com tech sections...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Well, you get what you pay for. My RG3120 has never been setup by a good tech. The intonation was set up very well from the factory (which is a rarity), but the nut (and the action) was a little bit higher than what I'd like to see.

He's a wizard and a good guy to boot. As I said, if it wasn't for the nut height, I'd have done it myself. I just don't want to mess with the wood, and screw up the neck.

Tags
ibanez guitars , nut height , pearl jam , spring cavity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode