Anyone have JSX mini colossal? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By OCDemon
  • 1 Post By logicbdj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Anyone have JSX mini colossal?

I have the peavey JSX mini colossal and I was really unhappy with it at first. I don't like the distortion in it and it seemed impossible to get a clean sound out of it. Eventually after a few months of experimenting I realized there's a tiny sliver above zero that's clean before the distortion kicks in and that sounds good with pedals (DS-1, TubeScreamer). Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this amp and what they think. Also how does it compare to the JSX combo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:10 AM

Reviews: 4
Re: Anyone have JSX mini colossal?

I have the MC. I wish it had a lot more clean headroom. It sounds nice like you set it with single coil guitars. But as soon as the humbucker is used, it's off to distortion land. It's almost useless, IMO. I bought it because Joe talked about the "low watt class A". I figured it would have more usable cleans than THAT.

I have read on the PV forums that putting a different preamp tube helps improve the clean headroom. I really should try that.

I wish I knew how it compares to the JSX head. I keep wanting one to make an entire Satriani rig that I can PLAY, JS guitar, amplifier and all four of the Vox pedals.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:23 AM

I owned 3 x JSX heads that I used for touring... did the job, but got rid of them.... they sounded quite thin, decent clean channel tho, but lacked overall volume.... I often had them maxed out on 10 on the master volume.... was glad to see Joe leave Peavey behind.... still think the 5150/5150II are the best amps Peavey ever built.
Sean777 is online  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 07:56 AM

I too have the Mini Colossal as well. My skills notwithstanding, like you I have the volume set down in that tiny sliver. Usually though, I just miss that sliver and settle for the "just before breaking up" section of it. I also have the power attenuator (the main reason I bought it) at the same tiny sliver so it's making volume settings a little bit more difficult I think.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

I got the JSX retubed with JJ tubes and also it was cleaned. It made the amount the amp stays clean when the gain (volume knob) increase so I can go to about 4 and sitll not be super distorted. It sounds a lot better. Also the master volume (power sponge) used to be real scratchy when you turned up the knob but now it's whisper quiet.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

This is my living room setup that I use with my JS2000. Original Crybaby, Boss Combo Drive (AC30) Boss DD-7 with footswitch and Boss Fender '63 Reverb)

kissTheApex likes this.

Last edited by OCDemon; 04-30-2017 at 09:44 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:23 AM
Banned

yes i want one but has it a lot of gain ?
it is not a ivm so bad

and 8" ?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister disto View Post
yes i want one but has it a lot of gain ?
it is not a ivm so bad

and 8" ?
I don't really like the amps own distortion so much. I am not sure the speaker size, but it pairs nicely with overdrive pedals if you keep it clean
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

FEATURES
Single Input
1 x 12AX7 and 1 x EL84 tube
Pure Class A operation
No negative power amp feedback
Preamp Volume and Tone controls
5W (RMS) into 4, 8, or 16 Ohms (selectable impedance)
Power Sponge output power level attenuator
Buffered Effects Loop Send and Return jacks
Classic opto-electronic Tremolo circuit
Microphone Simulated XLR Recording Output
XLR Ground Lift switch
Specially voiced 8" C8R-type speaker
Classic jeweled pilot light
Chrome plated brass control knobs
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 08:16 AM

I have one, but don't use it. I go direct to my computer (via an Axe Fx II). Not sure why I'm keeping it... just in case I may use it one day? And Peavy doesn't make them anymore... may be a bit of a collector's item one day.
OCDemon likes this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDemon View Post
I got the JSX retubed with JJ tubes and also it was cleaned. It made the amount the amp stays clean when the gain (volume knob) increase so I can go to about 4 and sitll not be super distorted. It sounds a lot better. Also the master volume (power sponge) used to be real scratchy when you turned up the knob but now it's whisper quiet.
" and also it was cleaned. "

What does that mean?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

It means they removed the knobs and cleaned all the pots and stuff, probably just WD-40 or something but things are quiet now.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:25 AM

Ah, I misread that and thought it meant cleaning would give you more clean headroom. I got very confused.

Some days I wonder if my first language ISN'T Engrish!

Tags
jsx , satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode