Anyone Like Ibanez Amps? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 10:20 PM

Re: Anyone Like Ibanez Amps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepp3lin View Post

I did not get a chance to test the Thermion but I did jam in one of my local studio that had an older model ToneBlaster TB100HS with a 412 speaker cab model TB412A, it's a solid state amp with 100watts, the sound of it was very sterile and electronic, I manage to test it with a few pickups and it does not like a high output pickup. With high output pickups(Dimarzio Super Dist and original Dimarzio/IBZ) it will sound very thin and squeling like a mosquito. However it will mellow down with my Duncan JB pickups and sounded a bit warmer but still sterile. The 100watts solidstate power can't beat my 100Watts Tube Marshall.
Maybe the Toneblaster will work better with a good speaker like the Celestion Vintage30 or the Greenbacks, who knows never get to try it. After all a good speaker does effect alot on the guitar tone.
Oh yes definetly. I'd say the most important thing in a setup is the speakers. Then the amp and then the guitar/pickups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymike View Post
Oh yes definetly. I'd say the most important thing in a setup is the speakers. Then the amp and then the guitar/pickups.
i disagree. if you have a crap amp to start with, your not going to get the tone ur looking for.. speakers make a big difference, but it doesn't turn a marshall into a bogner.. the same goes for the tube argument, your amp is going to have a diff flavor, but it still sounds like the same amp.
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
i disagree. if you have a crap amp to start with, your not going to get the tone ur looking for.. speakers make a big difference, but it doesn't turn a marshall into a bogner.. the same goes for the tube argument, your amp is going to have a diff flavor, but it still sounds like the same amp.
i have firsthand experience. i had a crate gx1200 running into a crate cab. the whole setup was worthless. once i ditched the crate cab for a mesa recto 4x12 the crate actually sounded pretty good. i discontinued using the crate's onboard preamp and distortion and used it as a poweramp for my pod xt. you would be shocked if you heard that setup. the mesa cab made ALL the difference in the world. the crate had less influence on the setup. now that i have a mesa 2:100 i'm using the pod xt as a preamp and it's pretty amazing. the cab matters most.

all you have to do is imagine how ****ty the sound was with the crate cab. extremely fizzy and junk speakers that couldn't handle the output of the head. once you swap that cab out with a mesa or something of comparable quality it sounds like a completely different amp.

Tags
blue voodoo , celestion vintage , crate blue voodoo , high output pickups , ibanez amps , ibanez dealer , local music store , mesa cab , mesa recto , music store , output pickup , paul gilbert , practice amp , preamp tube , rob balducci , roland cube , solid state amp , speaker cab , tube amp , tube amps , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode