Anyone played a Road King? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
NNS

Anyone played a Road King?

Has anyone played a Road King long enough to work out what the progressive linkage actually does?

What is the tone like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 09:34 AM

Re: Anyone played a Road King?

Isnt it the ability to mix and match the various pre amp and power amp sections together? Such as use different poweramp tubes on different channels?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 11:45 AM

i wasnt too thrilled with it...the clean channel sounded overly sterile, the first dirty sounded pretty nice with a strat, kinda nasty with an LP, high gain sounded great with a tom anderson but nasty with an LP.

for whatever ridiculous price they were charging you could get a bogner xtc, two-rock, fuchs, soldano, etc...and blow the road king away.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 11:43 AM

I had a Road King head and it sounded amazing.
It essentially does any Boogie tone; gives you the options of cabinet switching, power tube switching, etc.
It's an incredibly versatile head and I'd have to say that if someone didn't get a good tone out of it, they didn't know how to use it.
It's easy to get a bad or fair tone from it...a little knowledge goes a long way with that head though.

If you dig any of the Boogie tones, it's the head to have.
I do agree that the price is a little high though, but if you dig Boogie tones, you'll appreciate it if you work it right.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 09:27 PM

The Road King series 2 just came out, it has the lonestar cleans and a few of the kinks worked out. It is amazing, the best amp out there if you want flexable Boogie tone.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 11:42 PM

I agree with both JiMoSiTY and spencer096. The Road King is an awsome head capable of doing any Boogie sound it wants. So if you're into the Boogie sound, it's a great head. But if you're only sorta into it or whatever you can buy, like spencer096 said, a lot of other high end boutique amps for the same price or in a lot of cases, less.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 12:17 AM

Reviews: 6

The progressive linkage is a great tool to use in shaping each channel's tone and punch amount. Road Kings are great amp... I didn't notice much of a difference between a II that I tried out vs. the original I owned a few months back.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 03:40 PM

Progressive linkage allows the Road King to assign each of the 4 Channels it's very own Power Tubes in either of two flavors and/or a combination of both - plus your choice of solid state vs. tube rectifiers for each channel as well. Very cool - my head has no problems whatsoever.

Assuming you'll plug in a killer fiddle, you should be able to dial in anything from Sabbath to Dream Theater tones with a Road King.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
NNS

I was thinking of getting a Roadster. They have four channels, but don't have progressive linkage. Can you get nice Marshally sort of tones from a Road King/Roadster?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 10:23 PM

If you are going for a Marshall type tone, then the RK is probably not the ticket. The Stilleto would be better. The RK will get a great crunch tone, but not so Marshally. It sounds more like a cross between a Mark and a Recto.

On a side note the Roadster sounds great, and unless the Progressive linkage is a must have for you, then the Roadster is just as good. I actually would rather have a Roadster, but thats just me... By the way I have a Lonestar Special; Traded in the RK for the LSS. I like more of a vintage Class A tone.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 12:55 AM

I've messed around with a road king a time or two at my local guitar center, but imo the Bogner XTC with Classic mod is way better, you could get just about anything out of that amp exept for a bad sound.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 08:55 AM

i played one for only minutes. and i thought the lead channel sounded like a recto. maybe it can do more, but i only got the recto type sound from it. i only like about 2 boogies: Mark series and nomads. the rest i'm not too thrilled with.. so having an amp that can do all mesa sounds (probably not as well as each individual amp itself) would be pointless for someone like me. I guess it really boils down to, if you like the recto, then the road is awesome cause it can do more than just recto. But if you don't like the recto, then don't bother with a road king and just get the amp that has the sound you do like and save some money. I dunno, it's just how i felt about it. If i were gonna spend 2700 on a head i'd probably get a Bogner, Engl or some other very Boutique amp, but for now i'm very happy with my mark iv
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 10:30 AM

(a Nomad lover)

I've played a Road King for 30 seconds. I have no idea how it was set, but it was the first time I ever got a lead tone I've liked out of a Recto. I immediately shut the thing off so I wouldn't seriously consider buying it.

I supect it's an amp you need to spend a couple hours tweaking to get a feel for, but between the different preamp and poweramp configurations available on the thing, I'd be shocked if anyone with a passing like for the sort of tones Mesas produce wouldn't be able to find SOMETHING in it they would like.

Is it worth the price tag? Depends... For me, I suspect not because the Nomad 45 I'm playing now is already capable of giving me most of the sounds I'm looking for on the fly, so coughing up another two grand just for a slightly heavier rhythm tone (although, now that they have a lone star flavored channel... man that LS combo I played rocked) doesn't really seem worth it. However, for someone who preferred the Recto crunch (which the Nomad can approximate quite well, but never truely replicate) but wanted a few other sounds available at the push of a button...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 08:46 AM

I have had one for a few months now and am still dialing it in. Sounds better the more time I spend with it, but it IS an amp that needs time spent. I like the 4 independent channels and have it rigged through a midi switcher into a TC G-System so I have the one button versatility of a SS rig (near endless combinations). I love it

Tags
local guitar center , power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode