Anyone seen this yet? (www.tremol-no.com) - Page 5 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 272 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
Sorry, Darren unfortunately you don't have a whole step of play on the 1st and 2nd strings. The D-tuna could only get you about a half step at best. The only strings that can give you a whole step are the low E and the G. And this is pertinent to the thread because we're talking about what you can do with a tremol-no.
That's unfortunate. Maybe Kevan will invent a variant of the D-Tuna that has greater range!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 272 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 12:23 AM

if you want that much tuning flexability, why not just buy a hipshot trilogy bridge and put it on something?
post #63 of 272 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:26 AM

Or just go all the way and get a Transperformance-equipped guitar
post #64 of 272 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 12:43 PM

Neither the Transperformance nor the Trilogy bridges are available as tremolo units.
post #65 of 272 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 09:43 PM

No, but then I think by the time you get that many lever's on your trem unit it becomes fairly useless anyway. I'd have to have to flip that many things to change a tuning, I'd rather just have a couple extra guitars set up that way if I really needed that flexability. Or just have a fixed bridge guitar that I can retune fast. Besides, as far as I know, the D tuna won't fit an edge or lopro edge anyway will it? I thought the castings were to thick as opposed to the stamped and formed bases of an OFR.
post #66 of 272 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Neither the Transperformance nor the Trilogy bridges are available as tremolo units.

And it just hit me duh..........

This arguement is pointless because you're talking about using the tremol-no with the Dtuna's and it would HAVE to be locked in order to use the Dtuna anyway, in which case, it becomes a non tremolo guitar to hold pitch with the D tuna's in use. The only reason the unit works on the Van Halen stuff is because there is no recess for the trem to fall back into, you drop the D and it's sitting tight against the body, if you actually have it floating, when you drop the D the rest of the strings go sharp anyway.
post #67 of 272 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
And it just hit me duh..........

This arguement is pointless because you're talking about using the tremol-no with the Dtuna's and it would HAVE to be locked in order to use the Dtuna anyway, in which case, it becomes a non tremolo guitar to hold pitch with the D tuna's in use. The only reason the unit works on the Van Halen stuff is because there is no recess for the trem to fall back into, you drop the D and it's sitting tight against the body, if you actually have it floating, when you drop the D the rest of the strings go sharp anyway.
Finally...somebody intelligent enough to actually GET it.
post #68 of 272 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 01:15 AM

Maybe the mulitiple-D-Tuna idea was pushing the boundary a bit far. Excuse me for thinking unconventially. Just trying to inject a little creativity.

But thanks for your insightful commentary on my "intelligence."

Have a nice day.
post #69 of 272 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 09:47 AM

Hey...it wasn't meant as an insult to your intelligence at all. It's just hard to believe that you've continued to defend an idea with so many obvious holes in it. I simply meant that finally somebody else was able to see yet another reason that it's completely implausible.

No harm intended- the whole thing has been in good humor (just in case you were unable to detect the sarcasm in the "off-topic" comments.)

Once you get a chance to actually play around with the Tremol-no, you'll better understand it's capabilities. It's a killer gadget, but it's not going to alter the laws of physics or make the impossible possible.
post #70 of 272 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 05:21 PM

I don't think a unit like that would be superfluous at all. In fact, to me the perfect bridge would be piezo, with a non-floating trem and hipshot type tuning abilities. I'd MUCH rather have that than multiple guitars. I'm kinda like Vai that way... I just like to have ONE real good guitar that I use above all others.

Just think, some people think 7 strings are too much, and nowadays we have 8, 9, and even more multi-stringed instruments. If thinking forward and pushing the creative boundaries is too much, go play a banjo then!
post #71 of 272 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 08:31 PM

It's not a matter of thinking forward being a bad thing. It's a matter of being realistic and knowing the limitations of what you're working with. The D-Tuna only functions under very specific conditions. The Tremol-no is designed for, and does, ONE thing. Can you use them together? Sure...to some extent. But no combination of the two items will erase the limitations of each individual item.

It's simply a matter of being realistic.

(And if you think that playing a banjo is to be equated with being limited, you should check out a couple of Bela Fleck albums).
post #72 of 272 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 02:22 AM

this sounds like a really interesting venture for Kev. how cool is it that Steve Vai is using one??

Good luck Kev, in case your reading.
post #73 of 272 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
If these see production, I'll get one. Have to mod it so I can keep my backplate though.. This thing, + plus a D-Tuna, would be very nice.
Backplate templates are now up: http://www.tremol-no.com/support.html
(New pics & user quotes up as well!)

post #74 of 272 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
It's not a matter of thinking forward being a bad thing. It's a matter of being realistic and knowing the limitations of what you're working with. The D-Tuna only functions under very specific conditions. The Tremol-no is designed for, and does, ONE thing. Can you use them together? Sure...to some extent. But no combination of the two items will erase the limitations of each individual item.

It's simply a matter of being realistic.

(And if you think that playing a banjo is to be equated with being limited, you should check out a couple of Bela Fleck albums).
Whatever. I still say it's a cool idea, and anything is possible if you put your mind to it. I'm not even talking about the D-Tuna so much, as just appreciating that Darren was throwing out wild, and improbable, but still forward-thinking ideas. Being realistic... go tell that to Leo Fender, Les Paul or Floyd Rose. Or Ken Parker. I could go on and on.

Everyone always has an answer. Next thing you'll be telling me the wonders of some 1 string guitar player. Bela Fleck notwithstanding, you get my point.
post #75 of 272 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 08:57 PM

Just to clear up a thing or two...

The D-Tuna will indeed fit and function on an original Edge profile. I am using one on one of my RG520s. I had the backroute extended to make it easier to use.

I also put a Tremol-No on the same guitar. Sure the T-No isn't for everyone. Neither is the D-Tuna, Sustainer/Sustainiac or the Floyd Rose for that matter. Regardless, it's a great idea, and fully functional.

When I wish to use the D-Tuna, I activate the T-No, and it works as solid as a fixed bridge. When I don't need to use the D-Tuna, I can unlock it and have full up-and-down range on my trem. I couldn't do that when I just blocked the bridge for the D-Tuna.

I know it isn't a hard-and-fast review, but I have tried it, it does what it says it will, and I hope someone picks up the liscense to sell it. This way Kev makes a little cash, and I can outfit a few more guitars.

Cheers,
Butch

Tags
allen wrench , allen wrenches , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , bob oakman , bogner shiva , claw screws , custom shop , darren wilson , edge trem , equipped guitar , fender custom shop , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , flame maple , floating trems , floyd rose , floyd trem , guitar mag , guitar players , guitar tech , higher strings , hipshot tremsetter , ibanez backstop , ibanez jem , ibanez trem , intonation tool , jim donahue , john suhr , leo fender , les paul , lgm leviathan , locking bridge , mark knopfler , parker fly , parker guitars , paul gilbert , pro edge , rivera tbr , rob balducci , schaller trem , steve vai , string breakage , string guitars , tony macalpine , trem arm , trem block , trem claw , trem guitar , trem setter , trem springs , tremolo bridge , tremolo cavity , van halen , vintage trem , zero resistance trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode