Anyone try the new Macs yet? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
Anyone try the new Macs yet?

Just wondering if anyone has tried the new generation of Macs yet...my 7 year old PC is dying and I'm ready to make the plunge into the Mac world so I'm curious.

It looks like the biggest differences are the processors (obviously), the new HD cameras and the thunderbolt thing (not sure what that is good for - apparently it will be good for stuff coming out later this year?)

I've seen some pretty good deals for the previous gen of Macs here for about $1,000 (blowing out the previous gen of stuff now that the new ones are out) and I'm wondering if I should go for a deal on an older model or splurge for a new one...

Any thoughts, insight, advice is mucho appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:56 AM

Re: Anyone try the new Macs yet?

Everyone I have known who made the leap to the Mac like 40-50 people were all thrilled with them and said they wouldn't go back to a PC.Like 42 for 42 so you will probably be very happy with the Mac. Im still a PC holdout dunno why. I should get a Mac too!!
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post

It looks like the biggest differences are the processors (obviously), the new HD cameras and the thunderbolt thing (not sure what that is good for - apparently it will be good for stuff coming out later this year?)

Any thoughts, insight, advice is mucho appreciated
It all depends on what you want to do with the computer. If its for home recording, e mail, web, etc, I'd say get the deal on the older generation. After all, the new ones will be out dated in 6 months any ways Thunderbolt is a "all in one" port developed between Apple and Intel (if memory serves) and is faster than USB 3.0. External displays and peripherals all connect to this port. The problem is, for right now, there are not too many devices available for it. The rumor is that Apple is getting rid of fire wire, and that this is going to replace it. Good luck to you!
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:55 AM

i just did the swap from PC to mac because i was killing a PC every year.

i got the quad core 27" iMac.

best thing i ever did, took a day to get used to it, apart from the little odds and ends that are different. it has never once crashed and taken all my work with it. no blue screen, very reliable so far and its still as fast as the day i got it even though i have more than half filled the 1tb disk.

i have snow leopard though, the new ones get thunderbolt.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 PM

I got the smallest 2nd gen. 13" macbook pro not too long ago. These were released in march(?). Very satisfied indeed. I haven't tested it on purpose for performance, but it's perfect for my use with logic pro 9. I record, edit, mix, you name it, works out brilliantly. Going to upgrade the memory to 8gb soon. Though the stock 4 work just fine. Also bought a whatevermajiggerport to VGA for an external monitor, this uses the thunderbolt port.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perks View Post
Going to upgrade the memory to 8gb soon. Though the stock 4 work just fine. Also bought a whatevermajiggerport to VGA for an external monitor, this uses the thunderbolt port.
8gb of memory?!? wow - are they that ram intensive? the new ones come with 4GB (two 2GB) memory - isn't that enough if I'm gonna run Logic express?

Still don't get what thunderbolt is?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Once it is completely adopted, it'll take all those ports on your computer (esata, firewire, ethernet, usb, etc) and combine them into one port. You'll be able to plug in displays, hard drives, any usb device, anything that plugs into a computer into the same port. Of course though, you'll have a "usb to thunderbolt" or an "hdmi to thunderbolt" adapter for the near future. As it's being adopted, things will start being compatible with it right out of the box. Also, thunderbolt can't be added to any existing computer. It's a chip that will be soldered to the motherboard, so if you want it, you have no choice but to buy a new computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
i just did the swap from PC to mac because i was killing a PC every year.

it has never once crashed and taken all my work with it. no blue screen, very reliable so far and its still as fast as the day i got it even though i have more than half filled the 1tb disk.
PC's only do this when they are filled with cheap, generic hardware crammed into a case that is too small for proper air flow. I built my own computer with all name brand stuff about 1 1/2 years ago, and I have not had one crash, or blue screen, or anything. It also runs just like the day I got it. I just hate the bad name pc's have gotten because of companies like dell and hp putting the cheapest components they can find into their computers.

Apple is very strict on what they allow in their computers and do extensive testing before releasing anything. This is why if you want a mac, you have to buy it from them. This is also why they are so reliable and cost a little more.

EDIT:
Also, I'd like to add that thunderbolt isn't an Apple technology, it is from Intel. Apple is just getting it first, their deal with Intel ends in 2012, then it might end up on PC's also. That is, if it isn't a fail.

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 06-07-2011 at 05:19 AM.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
8gb of memory?!? wow - are they that ram intensive? the new ones come with 4GB (two 2GB) memory - isn't that enough if I'm gonna run Logic express?

The 4 gigs do the job perfectly fine without any issues, don't get me wrong, but there is a noticable difference in speed/performance.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 03:16 PM

i bought an imac last year (21.5 inch model 2010)was running a pc that i'd built a couple of years ago that vista etc just killed.

It's easy to get used to, looks great, runs fast and you can set it up just how you want it.

I use it for music (itunes), run Pod Farm through it and for movies etc, internet and it does the job perfect everytime. Hell i even installed portal and it worked a dream. I'm only on 4gb ram atm but can expand it up to 16gb I think, but I don't think I'll ever need that much!

Honestly, it was more expensive but runs better than my pc ever did, its never frozen, never restarted and never had any problems with it.

Do yourself a favour and buy one!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLinkageXx View Post
Apple is very strict on what they allow in their computers and do extensive testing before releasing anything. This is why if you want a mac, you have to buy it from them. This is also why they are so reliable and cost a little more.
l.
actually there are plenty of guides on how to build a 'hackintosh'. http://lifehacker.com/5672051/how-to...ght-easy-steps

that's your alternative is just to build a mac from reliable parts that are compatible with the mac os. you wont have the mac look, but you'll have a mac for half the cost.

If you're a gamer though stick with PCs!

Last edited by wandereruk05; 06-07-2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: link added
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:14 AM

Reviews: 2

I was PC loyal and just had my 17" macbook arrive the other day probably safe to say i wont go back i love the lay out of the mac OS its just simple and ive also known people go from PC to MAC and say they wouldnt go back, i got the i7 quad core and 8gb RAM and the faster 500gb HDD and i love it, bit pricey but when i shopped around the PC competition had one part the same as this but then lacked in another area its pricey but i think worth it!!
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandereruk05 View Post
actually there are plenty of guides on how to build a 'hackintosh'. http://lifehacker.com/5672051/how-to...ght-easy-steps

that's your alternative is just to build a mac from reliable parts that are compatible with the mac os. you wont have the mac look, but you'll have a mac for half the cost.

If you're a gamer though stick with PCs!
According to mac, doing that violates their eula. Just sayin' . On a lot of computer forums, they ban you for even bringing that topic up. Hence, I wouldn't recommend it unless you be willing to deal with any and all consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchie777 View Post
i got the i7 quad core and 8gb RAM and the faster 500gb HDD and i love it, bit pricey but when i shopped around the PC competition had one part the same as this but then lacked in another area its pricey but i think worth it!!
That's a very nice machine. I've yet to do anything an i7 couldn't handle.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:05 PM

I really do love my mac. It was bought 1 year ago. I believe i have the 27'' 1 tb 4 gig RAM one. Its really great! People say they are only for editing, but i don't see why. You can do most things the same on a PC and a Mac if you want (they even just released Call of Duty for mac), so i don't see why.

I really love all the programs it comes with. 8 years with mac, and its all been smooth sailing! No crashing, loss of data, or anything. Cool!
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 11:12 PM

I've had my 24" 3.06 Ghz iMac with 4 Gb ram now for 2.5 yrs. This computer just does not let me down and is awesome with Logic Pro 9. I use a Windows based PC at work but I'm always glad to be working back at my Mac when the work day is over.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandereruk05 View Post
Do yourself a favour and buy one!
lots of positive comments about Macs - I'm convinced I'm going to get one soon cuz my PC is ready to die...I'm actually pretty excited about taking the Mac plunge...the only question now is whether to go with a new gen model or pay a little less and go with a slightly older model cuz there are some deals to be had on the slightly older models now that the next gen models are out...

Tags
imac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode