Anyone using a Line 6 Flextone? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Anyone using a Line 6 Flextone?

I have a Flextone III with an FBV Shortboard. Wondering if anyone else has experience with this setup. I got it used about a year ago. I like it because of all of the tones that are to be gotten out of it. I'm really curious about how to get a couple of good A/B for clean verse and distorted chorus setups at equal volumes.

The only gripe I have about the amp is that all the presets have different volumes. So, if I'm playing live (I've only done this once with this amp), and I am playing a song that has a clean part and a distorted part, ...switching patches for the sound also switches the volume because the amps associated with the patches are different and have different output levels. Grrr. Changing the volume of the amps in the patches to try and equalize the volume levels also changes the TONE. I don't have a hint of an idea of why they didn't build this amp to have equal volume levels between all the patches and let the user lower or increase volume with the pedal and/or the guitar's volume knob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 07:01 AM

Red face Re: Anyone using a Line 6 Flextone?

Bro, i've been using Line6 amps and PODs since they first came out and have been very pleased w/ their performance!!! i was using a first generation Flextone up until mine got stolen round a yr ago, but have never had any hands on experience w/ the Flextone IIIs!!! i do own an AX212,and a Vetta though, so hopefully that can qualify me to help!!! What i do is set the overall master volume to where i'll be for live performance, then programe the individual channel/amp volumes from there!!! i usually begin the channel volumes at around halfway up(12 o'clock), so i've got plenty of headroom for equalizing the Rhythm and Lead patches accordingly!!! Of course the tone will change w/ the change in volumes because that's how it is w/ real amps!!! Alot of it is a physics thang!!! Alot of times, the volume/gain ratios will change depending on whether i'm using single coils or humbuckers so being concious of gain vs. patch volume is something You need to be aware of!!! my guitars have coiltaps so i'm always tweaking things to get the gain balance just right!!! Like anything, it takes time to get aquainted w/ Yer equipement, and Line6 amps are pretty much a knob tweakers heaven or hell depending on Yer temperment!!! Hang tough,Bro, and invest the neccessary time, and You'll be pleasantly rewarded!!! Personally, i never really use the stock presets for anything more than a starting point, and that's usually just for their effects settings!!! Inevitabley i usually end up changing the amp models and cab models and even the mic settings!!! If Ya find something that's close to what Ya wanna hear, make sure Ya save it to the patch!!! Alot of times i'll save my "Work/Gig" patches to another bank just so i can tweak and experiment w/ the sounds w/o losing what i already like!!! Hopefully this helps!!! ENJOY!!!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Re: Anyone using a Line 6 Flextone?

Thanks. You're method of setting the master volume where you want it and then pulling the amp volume down to half way as a starting point gives me a little pointer in the right direction. A lot of people say these amps sound fake to them, but I think it's mostly a psychological thing. I have friends who work as professional musicians daily and they are the one's who recommended the amp to me. They use it live, on professional large sized gigs, with very big name people, and they get some pretty darn good tones outta that amp, ...well, I think the main guy referring it has a Flextone II but they have to be similar enough in sound since it's the same technology and company.

I'll keep working it for a while. I was actually considering trading it in for something under $1000, but I want to give it a fair chance before doing that. Too bad I don't have a lot of experience with equipment and know how to use it better.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 10:59 AM

i have a flextone III 2x12 i bought a couple of years ago. i personally think the presets are quite horrible sounding, but luckily there is a lot of flexibility when you dig in and start tweaking the amp models and emulated cabs. i ended up with some pretty decent tone, but honestly, i can hear a difference between my tube amp set up. mainly in terms of dynamics and the way the amp behaves when you roll the volume down a bit as opposed to a tube amp. nowadays, i mainly use it for a practice amp at home. they are definitely gig-worthy, but i still prefer my tube amp set-up for gigging.

as for your issue, you definitely have to get in there and start editing the presets and tweaking the amp volume to even everything out. you are lucky that you like the presets, but cause it took me a while to get a tone i thought was usable...BUT i did eventually find it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Well, I liked a handful of the presets. Most of them sound really flat, like a wall of sound rather than an organic / dynamic sound that has depth. I just got done setting up about 8 tones that are pretty sweet using you guy's instructions. Things are a LOT better now. One thing I notice is that you just have to use a little compression, reverb and delay to get the tones to sound good (maybe it's just my preference though). I got a nice clean and distorted Bogner set up as well as a couple of Vox AC-30 tones and a couple of Fender Reverb patches. They sound pretty good but I still have a lot to learn about amps (I know very little) and my ear will no doubt develop more as time goes by. Thanks for the help guys!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 09:44 PM

u cant get a processor and expect to use factory settings, they are garbage..
your pickups make a huge difference in output, remember that.. tips for making patches

-all eq's 12:00
-amp model
-cab model
-mic model
-stomp box (if needed)
-compression (mostly on cleaner tones)
-delay (on leads)
-dont use too much gain on rhythm tones..

-assign patches in groups of 4 (for live)

i go A)FX B) Clean C) Rhythm D) Lead

make sure your dirty's are louder then your cleans unless you want to sound like tinfoil to the audience..

dont switch between tones in the same song.. or even gig for that matter...
(depends on situation)

for instance.. if i was playing some rock.. have a distinct amp model / patch base for dirty stuff.. and a distinct model for clean... the sound guy isnt going to want to recalibrate every song.. it sounds very lame and unprofessional to use a marshall sound for rhythm and then switch to a boogie for ur solo.. you want to fool the audience into thinking you are using a real amp.. (or at least sound as close as possible)..
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 11:28 PM

The early Flextone II 2x12s running with the origional POD programming are great amps. I don't care for the IIIs.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

What changed? Seems like things should have gotten better, not worse.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 11:52 PM

I know, you would think that, but I think they just kept cramming more and more crap into it and the tone and response changed completely. When I was picking out a amp for a friend at GC we did a side by side between a bran new III and a old beat up II that looks like it went around the world a few times with a K-7 the II ran circles around the III hands down.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt0511 View Post
What changed? Seems like things should have gotten better, not worse.
i think they've gotten "better"!!!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

They did have a firmware update, so that may have changed things back to the better when that came out. Perhaps the comparison in the store had the Flextone III with inferior firmware and that's what the deal was. Or, maybe it just needed the computer program for deep editing of the tones to pull the sounds out of the thing more than the Flextone II. In other words, maybe you just have to do more work to pull the good tone out of the III and the tones were more easily accessible in the II.

Lots of people give extremely good reviews of this amp though, so I'm not too worried. Interestingly, lots of studio people and musician's who play for a living are very impressed with these amps.

I just wanna hear other's experiences and pickup some good info since I don't know much about getting the thing setup and using it in a live situation. I appreciate all info I can get in that area.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt0511 View Post
They did have a firmware update, so that may have changed things back to the better when that came out. Perhaps the comparison in the store had the Flextone III with inferior firmware and that's what the deal was. Or, maybe it just needed the computer program for deep editing of the tones to pull the sounds out of the thing more than the Flextone II. In other words, maybe you just have to do more work to pull the good tone out of the III and the tones were more easily accessible in the II.

Lots of people give extremely good reviews of this amp though, so I'm not too worried. Interestingly, lots of studio people and musician's who play for a living are very impressed with these amps.

I just wanna hear other's experiences and pickup some good info since I don't know much about getting the thing setup and using it in a live situation. I appreciate all info I can get in that area.

Honestly,Bro, i play professionally for a living, and my whole touring rig is my PODxt and the Longboard!!! i'll probably go w/ the PODxtl sometime next yr to make my rig even more compact!!! The biggest problem for most folks that i've noticed, is that there is so much there, that people can't really explore the all of possibilities of the Line6 stuff in a store unless Ya really know what Yer doing!!! Even when Ya do know what Yer doing, You can spend hours tweaking away just trying to get things exactly the way You want them!!! You've literally a one stop amp shop, and for the money, it's pretty hard to beat!!! i've done numerous gigs w/ Jorge Santana, and his tube amps are constantly crapping out on him, and he's constantly tweaking w/ the things during the gig, and he seems frustrated most of the time!!! He's always telling me how good i sound, and he's mentioned that he want's to start checking out Line6 amps!!! If You prize consistancy, low maintenance,versatility, and compactness, Line6 is the way to go!!! In my eyes, it's all about getting good sound,NOT how Ya get it, and if Ya sound good, the audience doesn't care how You get there!!! Forget all that "fool the audience into thinking Yer using a "real" amp" stuff!!! i mix different amp models all the time, and no one has ever complained or accused me of sounding bad,OR "unprofessional"!!!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 01:37 PM

Doubtful it was just a firmware thing, It was GC so you know they had like a billion different III's, some 2x12s, some 1x12s, some used, some new and they all sounded thin and buzzy (especially the 1x12) even after 10 min of tweaking the II still sounded 100x better, full, thick, tight distortion and for 1/3rd the price too! lol. The only thing I forgot to do was check the brand of speakers, I wonder if they were different.

Last edited by Lefty Robb; 08-12-2007 at 02:36 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby simcox View Post
Forget all that "fool the audience into thinking Yer using a "real" amp" stuff!!! i mix different amp models all the time, and no one has ever complained or accused me of sounding bad,OR "unprofessional"!!!
i agree with everything u said except this.. sorry man but if you switch from 2 completely different sounding amps and they are both being used as distortion channels, it sounds bad.. it is best to mod the gain levels, volume, fx, eq, etc etc.. but changing from 2 completely different ranges of frequencies sounds sloppy (in that context..)
i dont know about you bro but I don't care if they know what I am using, I just want GOOD tone.. and for me to use an amp modeler and have that tone, it needs to sound as natural as possible.. when you are listening to a guitar, you almost get used to the tone, and when you switch from amp to amp, it almost sounds dramatic.. for instance.. if you play with a really soft tone with the highs rolled down, and then switch to something with a normal amount of sparkle (marshall).... it doesnt sound like that normal marshall tone---your ear is used to the other soft cuddly eric johnson sound ( who uses marshalls lol )------- when you go to the diff amp, it sounds very edgy and trebly...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Cool. Thanks for the advice and help. I agree with Shogun about changing tones in a gig because I can imagine what he's saying. But perhaps you meant that you mix and match cabs/amps all the time, ...rather than meaning that you change setups with totally different characteristics all the time during a single gig.

The only time I could see that I would disagree with this as a general rule would be if you were doing some shows with cover songs from different genres and sounds (like me). If you have to play something jazzy or folky, and then play AC/DC, ...you might wanna change setups, lol. But as a general rule I think it's a good idea to stay with variations of the same distorted tone. I don't mind using a good distorted amp setup with a different amp that has great cleans like a Fender. I think I have read write ups on some big name players who have one amp and cab (or more of them, lol) for their dirty and distorted tones, ...and have a different amp right beside that stack for their cleans. But, they aren't all over the board during a show. They basically have similar cleans and similar distortions all night.

A lot of the time I've noticed that players change their tone by changing guitars during a show, but not amps. For example, Tom Morello (Audioslave and Rage A.T.M.) plays several guitars during one show, ...his Les Paul, his Strat, and another guitar I can't remember. When I saw Army of Anyone earlier this year (and they were freaking awesome! The best live performance I think I've ever seen/heard with the exception of Satriani, ...but he ain't singing.) the guitar player (DeLeo?) did the same thing by switching axes.

Tags
amp modeler , distorted tone , distorted tones , eric johnson , flextone iii , les paul , pod pro , practice amp , speaker cab , stomp box , tom morello , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode