Apartment Gear - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Apartment Gear

Ok heres the deal...i live in a apartment which means i cant be too loud. I have a pos squier amp that sounds terrible. My buddy of mine came over tonight to give me lessons and he brought his Crate DX112 over and i used my crap amp. Ofcourse his sounded better which i was supprised becuase are volumes werent that high. Now after talking to him and my uncle(another guitarest) tonight they both say i need atleast a twelve inch with effects built in. Im looking into either getting the dx112 or 212 amp..now will 212 sound good at low volumes? What do yall recomend for an apartment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 06:52 AM

Can't help you with the two models you've asked about.

However, if you're happy with a small SS practice amp and want built in effects, how about a Roland Cube 30? (Only got a 10" speaker though.)

I've also got a crappy old Squire. A 15 watt thing I bought years ago - and yes, it isn't very good.

I now play the Cube 30 in my flat (apartment) and it sounds MUCH better.
It has two switchable channels - a clean one and the effects one. Plus a few usable amp models, reverb, delay, chorus, phaser (I think) and of course distortion. Plenty of choice and loud enough for home use.
Try one if you can.

Rich
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 12:37 PM

Re: Apartment Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyW
they both say i need atleast a twelve inch with effects built in.
A twelve inch speaker? Yes. You'll get better, clearer bass response. Effects built in? No. Reverb's always nice, but you're not going to get very good effects out of a low-end amp, and you'll be tempted to over-process everything. Get a good amp with a 12", tube if you can find it, without effects. After you learn to appreciate the sound of a great amp on it's own, then maybe consider effects processing. An effects patch won't be able to save an amp sound if the fundamental tone isn't good to begin with, so save your money and get something without effects that'd sound better.

-D
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 01:09 PM

Line6.

It's designed for low volumes, and has enough sounds that you'll never get bored
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 08:54 AM
dex

Tech21 trademark10.

there was one in the classifieds for $180 - the best small practice amp money can buy.

ilia
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 09:31 AM
RGN

Apartment rig? How about 2 full VHT 4X12 stacks with two 100watt Pitbull CL heads. It sounds great at low volume and you can crank it up when that dirtball who lives below you starts beating on his ceiling complaining.

When I lived in an apartment my neighbors used to complain no matter what rig I had. I would base your rig on what you like and wouldn't worry about others.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 09:57 AM

i would have 2 say get somethin like a lil line 6 flextone.

i mean its no great tone thats for shure

but it will give ok sounds at low volumes and thats good right?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 10:15 AM

I agree with the Line6 recommendations. Plethora of options and sounds that are all adequate for rehearsing and practicing and playing live. Best bang for the buck in my opinion for what you are after. Sound good at low volume, or no volume with headphone outputs, and you can run them straight into your soundcard and get good sounds straight to your PC with minimal fuss. All in all, good solid stuff. I use my POD Pro every single day...it has been a God send because I have young children. I can practice while they sleep and I can keep all my expensive stuff safely tucked away out of reach most of the time.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 11:54 AM

First a couple of things
1. What is your price range?
2. You don't necessarily need to by a amp with effects built in you can buy them as you go along.
3. You can play at higher volumes just find a way to sound proof. (check out http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=25 for info on that)
OK now I'll explain. 12in speakers are standard because they are larger and therefor have more bass response. They are also not that heavy (SRV used 15s' but that's about it). But as with guitars their are many brands and models and they each sound different. Also I would suggest trying out a lot of amps till you get what you want. And like Drew said that first you have to get a amp and then appreciate it then get effects. Also cheaper amps are usually cheaper all around. A line6 is a good idea but to me they only sound good at low volumes. A pod or some version of it would be great as you can play with headphones and then plug in to play loud. But if an amp isn't good to begin with effects aren't going to help[/url][/quote]
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all this info...guitar center has some great deals this month crate amps that dont have effects in them...my idea was to get an amp and them maybe a processor or pedal and then i would have a good amp and effects would be built to my needs not to what the manufacture thinks should come in my amp
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 12:27 PM

Check this thing out, it should be good sounding and quiet enough:

http://zvexamps.com/amp_view.html

The Z. Vex Nano Head!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 01:22 PM

Jimmy, in response to your 10" vs 12" question in the other thread you asked to have deleted (incidentally, i think you can delete it yourself- hit "edit" and see if there's a "delete" option at the top), 12"s are better in combos, because they give fuller, clearer, more defined bass response. However, in a half stack-type speaker cab, some people prefer 10's for exactly the same reasons- it has a slightly weaker bass response. a 4xwhatever arrangement will put out more (percieved, anyway) bass than a 1x or 2x arrangement, so the smaller speakers would give you a tighter, more controlled bass. Some people like that, although most apparently don't, judging by the prevalance of 4x12's.

-D
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Orange
Check this thing out, it should be good sounding and quiet enough:

http://zvexamps.com/amp_view.html

The Z. Vex Nano Head!
Those things are so cute. I want one (slthough i might hold for the three channel, footswitchable version with independant EQ and gain for each channel... ) I have a feeling that I might have to learn how to wire to do it myself, though...

-D
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 08:01 PM

How about a Gorilla? ...worst amp ever.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

ok guys well i went out to gc first to test drive some of there amps again and i saw a used marshell with a ten and played and loved the distortion on the thing but the amp just didnt seem right like something was wrong with it so i played some crate 10s and though they were ok but the sound the marshall had was what i was looking for so i decided to check another guitar center on the other side of houston and knew there was a little guitar store right across the street from there so i stoped in and the people were extremely helpfull and friendly and i saw this cool mini amp type setup and pluged in and was amazed that something at that price was sounded that good....so i left there and went to gc and they had nothing that is in my price range that i wanted (300 max) so i went back to the other lil shop and pluged into another marshall that had effects and really didnt think it was worth 50 more bucks for the effects anyways cuz i need to learn how to play not hide how bad i sound...so i bought the stack and its perfect for my house....!!!!! here is the amp....http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSHMG15MSII and on the effects thing i rather have a separate controller(s) so i have more controll over the tone........thanks for the help guys

Tags
bass response , pod pro , practice amp , roland cube , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode