applying compression after recording. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

applying compression after recording.

hello.

i have a soundblaster card (w/ input, output, and microphone jack) i use cakewalk pro audio 9 to record tracks, and i've just gotten a presonus bluemax compressor.

i know that i could add the compressor to the signal path during the actual recording, but if i wanted to apply compression using the bluemax to a track which has already been recorded, how would i go about doing it? would i have to set up an effects loop of some kind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 09:26 PM

Once something is in the digital domain, I like to keep there. Sounds like you want to take a signal, put it through an A/D converter, send it back out through a D/A converter, into the compressor, then again into an A/D converter.
You will lose resolution. IE, the samples won't "match up". You'll be sampling samples.
I say record dry, then find some compressor plug ins or Direct X compressors you like and compress it that way.
The only time I use a compressor while tracking is as a limiter on a kick and snare.
You also might want to look at getting a new soundcard. The converters on those Soundblasters really aren't meant for real recording.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

yeah, that makes sense. and you're right about the soundblaster converters; they're pretty bunk. what are some good compression plug-ins that i can use with cakewalk?

just as a side note, then, the bluemax is an analog device? (forgive me, i'm just learning this stuff)
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 03:47 AM

Waves makes some great compression plugs. So does Bombfactory. I'm not sure if they are direct x compatible, but there are always vst wrappers.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2003, 01:58 PM

Even if you don't use the compressor for actual compression during recording (and I probably would myself, nothing too heavy of course, but just a light compression to tighten things up a little and keep the signal in the ideal dB range for a recording- you want it to peak about -3dB, and while it's not a HUGE deal if you're lower, the further below that point you go, the lower the resolution and higher the noise floor will be) I'd still leave it in the chain, set as a hard limiter to prevent clipping- nothing can destroy a take faster than digital distortion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode