Asking Distortion/Overdrive pedal advice - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Asking Distortion/Overdrive pedal advice

Hi, I have been following posts about the DS-1, modded DS-1's, SD-1's, you name it. I have also looked at the DOD YJM-308, a replica of an older DOD 250. I run a JEM 7VWH w/stock Evo's straight into an ADA MP-1 with JJ's at 116 or so gain. I have heard raves about the DS-1 in front of Legacy's, Marshalls, etc, but am wondering what would be cool in front of the ADA for a little more saturation? Anyone have any experience here? I could buy a bunch of crap from GC and return what I don't want, but would rather see some input here. I like 80's tone, thats why I have the ADA. So please base your opinions on that :P I have a hard time understanding whether it's distortion or overdrive I want/need more in front of the preamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 08:18 AM

I use a tubefactor from hughes and kettner to boost my system a little more.

jemke
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 09:46 AM

I have both a DOD YJM-308 and DS-1 Ultra(Robert Keeley Mod). The YJM is super articulate and will give you the searing 80's metal sustain you're looking for. However it can be a little bright. I can't really comment on the DS-1, since mine seems to not be functioning correctly. I just tried one of Robert Keeley's modded TS-9 tubescreamers. That was killer as well. I'd recomend starting with either one of those 2(RK modded TS-9 or the DOD YJM-30. You could also experiment with a compressor pedal for adding sustain. But, be careful with how much compression you use, they can be very noisey.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 11:29 AM

The Boss OD-whatever, the two-pedal multi-distortion thing is really sweet. It's got a boost function, plus the DS-1, OD-1, etc built right in, including some other cool features.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemke
I use a tubefactor from hughes and kettner to boost my system a little more.

jemke
Looks like a nice unit. I'm looking for a boost of some sort myself...

Jemke, what sort of tonal variations can you get with the Voicing control ?

I'm happy with my basic sound so I don't want to colour it too much. However, it would be nice to be able to add a bit in the upper mids for lead sounds on occasion. Can you use the Voicing control in that way ?

Cheers.
Ving
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 07:33 AM

The voicing goes from blues sound with a lot of midtones to a raw sound. It is not good for a typical metal sound.
It doesn't give tons of sustain but for the subtle work, it is perfect.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 07:46 AM

I use my DS-1 to add a bit of Eric Johnson-esque sheen to an already distorted amp. It can do much more than that, but that's one thing it's good for. Hey, they're cheap, why not just give it a shot? If you don't like it, you can always use a DS-1 as...
- a doorstop
- a hammer
- an on-off switch (if you take out the battery)
- a wacky alternative to pistol-whipping
- a fun stencil for arts and crafts
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
The Boss OD-whatever, the two-pedal multi-distortion thing is really sweet. It's got a boost function, plus the DS-1, OD-1, etc built right in, including some other cool features.
I assume you mean the Boss OD-20 Drive Zone. I've got one as well and it's a great unit
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 12:41 PM

just throw a tubescreamer in front of it...

Tags
eric johnson , keeley mod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode