Attenuator - has anybody tested?? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Attenuator - has anybody tested??

Im about to buy a Mesa Triple Rectifier and as most of you already know, these monsters plays LOUD at 150 watts. Much too loud for basement practice unless you live alone 10 miles out in the desert, which is not my situation.

I just read about this little device called THD Hot Plate Power Attenuator, which enables you to krank the volume knob up to maximum, and then you let the Attenuator take care of the out-volume by the knob in the front, letting your huge amp work for full but the sound coming out could be used in the bedroom after the kids have fallen asleep.

This little device costs around 300.00 and must be worth every cent if it works as it should.

http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/hotplate.htm

Anybody with experience from an attenuator, willling to share his impressions?Is the sound really just lowered or are there any other side-effects of it?

I would very much appreciate any kind of information as soon as possible since I just got this terrible disease, the worst disease of them all: G.A.S.

Thanks in advance all attenuators out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Banned

Re: Attenuator - has anybody tested??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPCO View Post
Im about to buy a Mesa Triple Rectifier and as most of you already know, these monsters plays LOUD at 150 watts. Much too loud for basement practice unless you live alone 10 miles out in the desert, which is not my situation.

I just read about this little device called THD Hot Plate Power Attenuator, which enables you to krank the volume knob up to maximum, and then you let the Attenuator take care of the out-volume by the knob in the front, letting your huge amp work for full but the sound coming out could be used in the bedroom after the kids have fallen asleep.

This little device costs around 300.00 and must be worth every cent if it works as it should.

http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/hotplate.htm

Anybody with experience from an attenuator, willling to share his impressions?Is the sound really just lowered or are there any other side-effects of it?

I would very much appreciate any kind of information as soon as possible since I just got this terrible disease, the worst disease of them all: G.A.S.

Thanks in advance all attenuators out there.
i got a marshal first and it SUCKED and then i got a thd

these are really only practical if you are playing clean tones

with distortion they DONT sound good at all unless you completey dial it in

not worth it, some poeple like it, some people hate it

try it on a messa, and the hotplate is only rated at a single channel at 50 watts, anything above that and it wont work right or sound right

i think, anyone else think otherwise..??
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:20 PM

There are a bunch of other threads on this same topic . . .
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:54 PM

Paul Gilbert had a THD hotplate on top of his Marshall during his recent Australian clinics.

Sounded great.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:37 PM

I had a hotplate and it killed the tone of my Marshall 1959SLP.
It was one of the worst gear purchases I ever made.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:55 PM

Try a Weber Mass, they don't suck the tone nearly as much since they actually use a speaker driver to soak the tone, and not a bunch of resistors. I liked mine before I had to sell it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
Try a Weber Mass, they don't suck the tone nearly as much since they actually use a speaker driver to soak the tone, and not a bunch of resistors. I liked mine before I had to sell it.
yeah i heard those were better but i never got around to finding one
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
The Weber is the one to get.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 01:32 AM

I have a THD Univalve head, with built in "hotplate".
I'm a huge fan of this amp', but not a fan of how the attenuator completely changes the sound, at all.
So I just don't use the hotplate and found some really low powered tubes ;-).
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 02:28 PM

I may be in the minority, then - I swear by my hotplate. Does it color the sound a bit? Sure... Bt with the deep and bright switches engaged it's not too bad (with them off, though, anything over 8dB makes the amp sound horrible) at all, and more to the point, my Rectoverb combo running with the volume halfway up at -16db attenuation sounds WAY better than the amp with no attenuator does at the same volume.

And that's the critical thing to remember - yes, it's not perfectly transparent, but is your sound betterat the volumes you'll be using it with the Hot plate than without? For an amp as volume-sensitive as a Rectifier, I wouldn't recommend owning one in an apartment without an attenuator.

I wouldn't run the Triple wide open and use the attenuator to control the volume - with 6L6's, the "sweet spot" seems to be about halfway up with channel volume at around 1/3 on my Rectoverb, though with E34L's you can go a bit higher. Muchpast that sweet spot though, and you go from poweramp compression/coloration to poweramp distortion, and for high gain metal rhythm stuff you actually don't want a fully saturated power amp - the low end tightness just falls away. IT's perfectly safe for the poweramp and the attenuator to crank it all the way up, but I just doublt you'll like the sound.

I can't speak to how the Weber compares to the Hot Plate, bu I know a lot of guys over at sevenstring.org own and like Webers.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 04:56 PM

I use one of the original Scholz Power Soaks, and have not noticed any any tonal changes, until I push the amp beyond 8, but I'm guessing that change is coming from the amp, and not the Soak.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 05:13 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
Paul Gilbert had a THD hotplate on top of his Marshall during his recent Australian clinics.

Sounded great.
I agree, Paul sounded great with the THD running.

He has also said that the Vintage Modern actually sounds pretty good with the master just turned down for home practice. He said he does that at home, and whilst the power tubes aren't running full steam the amp still sounds pretty much the same.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 06:38 PM

Gilbert's "turned down" could be everyone else's "11". It's not a coincidence that he wears isolating headphones now - years of standing in front of walls of Marshall 4x12's wrecked his hearing pretty bad.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 10:13 PM

Reviews: 120

I don't think so, he has said that he doesn't like it really loud when just practicing and stuff.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:04 AM

Anyway, attenuators suck. Get your amp tech install this into your amp:

http://londonpower.com/kits/dcpsk1.htm

Adjustable output power down to whisper level, adjustable sag, and adjustable power stage overdrive. And there's NOTHING between your amp and your speaker.

Tags
amp distortion , clean tone , mesa triple rectifier , paul gilbert , power amp , thd hotplate , triple rectifier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

which attenuator for stiletto

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode