AVT150H or TSL100, HELP ME! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

AVT150H or TSL100, HELP ME!

Hey

I need your help guys

I am finally gettin my first decent amp in about 2 weeks but I cant decide.

Should I get the Marshall AVT150H or the Marshall TSL 100 Head ??

I need a nice all-round amp, nice clean sounds to beefy sounds to full on rock sounds.

Whats the differences what are they good/bad for ??

I have found decent prices on both
AVT150H - 355
TSL 100 - 675

Both prices are for brand new models, but is the TSL got enough good points for the extra 320?

or should I just put the 320 towards my 7VWH ?

Cheers Guys
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 10:55 AM

Do you need a new amp? I'd go with the TSL. I'm getting away from solid-state. I have a valvestate that I have trouble getting good sounds at volume. It sounds very thin, but it has an awesome clean sound. Granted it's different than the AVT which has a 12AX7 in the preamp to warm it up. I tried one at GC and actually liked it. It's got built-in FX, but you can only use one at a time. At volumes, though, I suspect the TSL is going to sound better. If you ever wanted to trade it, I think you'd do better with the TSL--kind of like the difference between a Honda and a Chevy, if you will.

Otherwise, save up for a 7VWH! Yummy. I'm partial to the re-issue FP, but I bought an SBL last year. Mods, you didn't just read that.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 12:52 PM

Do what I did-get both!

I prefer the TSL100 quite a bit but the AVT150H is excellent sounding, too. Much warmer than one would expect from an amp with only one tube in the preamp. It's built well and having separate on-board FX circuits for the dirty and clean channels is nice. There are some sounds that are nice that tube amps don't do, also. The TSL 100 is no less flexible. I prefer using my own effects pedals in my combinations of choice but the TSL has two effects loops (1 for the lead and crunch and 1 for the clean channel). It saves a lot of tap-dancing.

I currently have the TSL hooked up to a slant cab (JCM1960A and the AVT to a straight (JCM1960B). I didn't get the heads and cabs simultaneously. I got the TSL before I got the AVT. I'd recommend the same.

Mike 777 Haug
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 12:56 PM

The TSL is an amazingly loud amp. I found the clean channel to be it's strong point. The lead and crunch sound really similar and they don't really open up unless the amp is cranked, until then they sound sort of buzzy. The VPR function is useful but it darkens the tone considerably sort of flattening all the frequencies. If you like marshall and you like loud marshalls, then the TSL will likely make you happy. Cabinet choice makes a big difference in how the head sounds so be careful there as well. All around, its a good versatile amp, but its big, heavy and requires you to crank it to maximize its tone...just like any other marshall.

Good Luck
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 07:11 PM

You might check out a TSL 60 instead. Same amp, more practical, and less money, too.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 08:26 AM

+1 for the tsl 60
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Hey

Guys thanks for your responses, I was pretty much set on the TSL100 and this has confirmed it.

I considered the TSL60 but I'm the sorta guy that everytime I look at it Id want the TSL100

Anyway none of it matter now because Ive decided that the amp goes on hold, I'm off to get a 7VWH next week :P the only thing is I aint got an amp

Cheers
Guys
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchi5t
Hey
I considered the TSL60 but I'm the sorta guy that everytime I look at it Id want the TSL100
but everytime you want to crank it if you play it live at smaller venues and find its waaaaay too loud you would think again about it

seriously unless your playing gigs in halls or larger you wont need 100 watts. I use a 50 watt amp and its easily loud enough, and if your doing a big gig you could just make the pa work a bit harder. just something to think about when you do get an amp.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 06:47 PM

go for the tsl100

i have a 100watt marshall valve state that seems to be louder than my 100watt tsl, for example at gigs i used to have my valvestate set to about 4 1/2 for my rthymn sound but now with the tsl i always it set to bout 6. i guess it must harder to get the tubes to be louder but without a doubt the tsl sounds Class
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

I have no idea what Ill end up with really, If I had the choice it would be a TSL100

I just found a DSL50 second hand 400 which is really cheap

I want a decent amp badly. I started with a Bass amp which wudnt pick up the 1st and 2nd string then I got a MG15CD and Ive had that ever since I need a good amp!

But I cant live without my Jem any longer :P

Lifes tough
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 11:36 AM

I'm telling you, if you decide to get a TSL, get the 60 watter. Do you honestly think you'll need 100 watts? Anybody, raise your hand if you've ever cranked your amp all the way up live and it wasn't loud enough. Trust me, 60 is LOUD. 40 watts sounds like a lot of difference, but it's really not. I was on www.amptone.com reading an article about low-power amps, and it said that you would think a 100 watt amp is twice as loud a 50 watt amp, but it's not. Really, if you think about it, the concept of the 100 watt guitar amp makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It's WAY too loud for anything but completely clean playing in a stadium with no PA. Really, if you're trying to get great cranked amp tone, 15 watts is a good deal too loud for most venues. Get the 60. You'll be much happier. You'll still have to reduce the wattage to really crank it.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 04:44 PM

15watts!, you must be playing in someones bedroom..
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 07:38 PM

It's obvious that you don't play out either, because if you did, you would realize that I am right. At least attempt to make it look like you know what you are talking about. Whatever amp you have, I don't care what it is, crank everything all the way up, and try to tell me that you need more volume.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 07:39 PM

Besides, I have a Mesa Dual Recto. I'm not saying this out of jealousy or anything.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 07:52 PM

i cranked it and i need more volume..
happy smart arse? :P

Tags
amp tone , bass amp , dual recto , groove tubes , marshall avt , marshall tsl , mesa dual , mesa dual recto , power amp , power amps , slant cab , sound forge , tone zone , tube amp , tube amps , tube head , tube power amp , tung oil , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode