Awesome pawn shop find, USA Peavey bass - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Awesome pawn shop find, USA Peavey bass

Got it got it for 115, with mint deluxe gig bag that has like, 2 inches of padding, and a stash of picks and cable!

Did some research found out these Peavey Foundations were made in the early 80's to early 90's. They are passive, which is fine with me (since I can't all do that fancy bass stuff) and the pickups are Peavey's super-ferrite pickups.

It's not the best sounding, but its super solid and I have no complaints. Plays like any good Fender.

I got kinda bored with the plain black, so I decided to paint a Dharma wheel and binding with silver paint. It turned out pretty well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 09:35 AM

Reviews: 59
Re: Awesome pawn shop find, USA Peavey bass

Nice. Pawn shop finds are awesome, especially when the seller doesn't really know anything about instruments and you get a steal.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 11:13 AM
DJR

pawn shop bargains are fab, but oh so rare thanks to noobs using the blue book and getting it completely wrong! I found a Warwick "Rock bass" entry level streamer in Lakeland/Cash Pawn America, and they had it priced up as a full blown Warwick Streamer top spec model at nearly $1500 !! doh lol

This one was my best ever; found it in a small rickety pawn shop near Altamonte Springs near Orlando, was marked up at $600 with a half price sale reduction of 50% ! 300 bucks.... and then I pointed out the cracked trem arm socket (knowing I had one back home in England), they reduced it further to $250, and then they even offered to toss a coin for the tax, and I won HAHA!! $250.... took it back home, replaced the socket, stuck it on eeeevilbay.co.uk at £99 starting bid, and it sold for over £1100 British Pounds, which at the time (199 was equal to nearly $1800 US. wOOOOOOOt!!! drinks were on me. USA custom shop Angels Depart pencil graphic, albeit not mint! but hey, $250 haw haw haw
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

That is a hell of a find DJR!

Hmm....i wonder if there's a way how can we make these intricate Ibanezs LOOK broken. If the cashier is a total noob, you could loosen the trem claw so that it the trem sticks up all the way and say "yeah, man, that's broken. Nobody's gonna buy this, these trems cost 200 bucks to replace." I know it's very wrong and bad, but you could snip the ground wire if the cavity is exposed so it will make a whole lot of noise and be like, "oh yeah, you're gonna have to replace all the electronics. Nobody's gonna buy this one". Or maybe even loosen the screw on the tuners so much that it looks really broken.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 01:07 PM

Reviews: 59

I've got a similar story. I was in a pawn shop in Nagasaki Japan a few years ago and they had an old Fernandes neck thru sitting in the corner. I still don't know the exact model but it looked in pretty good shape. I asked the guy how much and he said it was broken so he couldn't sell it and would give it to me for free. Well, I plugged in to see if it was really broken, being somewhat honest, and sure enough, no sound. I got the gig bag with it and took it home. As soon as I got in my apartment, I popped the back plate off, stuck a 9v in and played it to my hearts content. Active electronics are a funny thing...
I also got another Fernandes off the guy. It was one of their strat rip-offs called "The Function." It was a pretty red guitar with gold hardware and a gold mirror pick guard. Paid $90 bucks for it and it's still one of my best playing guitars that I own. The only thing I like better is my JS1200. While not a rediculously expensive guitar, I found out later that these things were a pretty penny back in the 80's.
Pawn shops are like a box of chocolates...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 11:04 PM

Reviews: 22

amen, I picked up a 7620rg with no lockstraps and nut-locks w/o a case for $190 around a year ago.

At the same pawn shop a few weeks ago i found a minty Randall century 200II for $75.

they have a knocked around 7241 for like $200 right now........ i haven't picked one of the plans listed earlier on this thread for knocking it down a little more.

on the other hand i have seen Squiers for 400 bucks and a jem555 for $1600 (while being listed at a Steve V. custom... please!

Last edited by THEE HAMMER; 02-19-2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: labeling while sleepy.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 11:41 PM

I saw a J-Custom the other day at a pawn shop for $600. Not incredibley low, but yeah, it's "only and Ibanez."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
I saw a J-Custom the other day at a pawn shop for $600. Not incredibley low, but yeah, it's "only and Ibanez."
I imagine Pawn Shops in Japan have a whole lot of sick guitars? And a bunch of used electronics?

Tags
peavey bass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode