Axe FX with drum amp? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Axe FX with drum amp?

So I'm thinking about getting an Axe FX unit, and I'm wondering what I need to get to get sound out of it. I figure since it would be replacing my Line 6 Spider II, I won't run it through that, but I was thinking that I could run it through my Roland PM-10 monitor. would that work? oh yeah I'm new been browsing the site for a bit so i just get an account. if you need help on any of life's problems, contact the Philisiraptor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:02 PM

Re: Axe FX with drum amp?

Yeah, it'll work, but I dont know how good it'll sound. Being a monitor, it should have a fairly flat frequency response, but to really get the best from an AxeFX you want some kind of FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) poweramp/cab like the Atomic Reactor. That way the amp and speakers wont colour the tone so the Axe's built in poweramp and cab sims will sound their best.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 06:43 AM

Reviews: 1

So you're looking for something to replace your practice amp? Where will you be using this? Just at home or will you be carting it around to jam with friends or band practice?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
So you're looking for something to replace your practice amp? Where will you be using this? Just at home or will you be carting it around to jam with friends or band practice?
band practice and at home and small gigs
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 03:50 PM

Reviews: 3

I disagree with needing an FRFR for the Axe. Buy the latest and greatest cab sims from Redwirez and you're good to go.

I use my Ultra in conjunction with my 2/50/2 and my 2 Bogner cubes along with the Engl cabs from RW. Some presets have amp and cab sims on, some don't. Think Petrucci tone.
If the tone is colored, well it still sounds damn good to me.

The really cool thing about the Ultra for me is I narrowed my 10 space down to 3. It's that good.

At home I run it direct into my Mackie Pro and with the turn of a knob go from early Angus to 80's Metallica.

I think as long as you have a decent speaker and cab you can pretty much get any tone you want out of the Ultra.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by finstah View Post
I disagree with needing an FRFR for the Axe. Buy the latest and greatest cab sims from Redwirez and you're good to go.

I use my Ultra in conjunction with my 2/50/2 and my 2 Bogner cubes along with the Engl cabs from RW. Some presets have amp and cab sims on, some don't. Think Petrucci tone.
If the tone is colored, well it still sounds damn good to me.

The really cool thing about the Ultra for me is I narrowed my 10 space down to 3. It's that good.

At home I run it direct into my Mackie Pro and with the turn of a knob go from early Angus to 80's Metallica.

I think as long as you have a decent speaker and cab you can pretty much get any tone you want out of the Ultra.
alright cool thanks for the help everyone! just saved me some money haha
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 09:55 PM

I just got mine two days ago and have actually run it through a Peavey Vypyr 30.
It actually sounds decent, but I plan on running it through my Bugera 333XL soon.
There are so many tones you can get out of this thing (Ultra)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finstah View Post
I never said you needed one, but if you want to make the most of the cab sims you do. If you use a poweramp and cab you dont usually use the sims so if you use an FRFR you can use all the sims for more versatility.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 04:26 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlephil View Post
I never said you needed one, but if you want to make the most of the cab sims you do. If you use a poweramp and cab you dont usually use the sims so if you use an FRFR you can use all the sims for more versatility.
Sorry, wasn't implying, wrong words I guess.

Either way with the Ultra the possibilities are endless.

I do run a few patches with amp and cab sims through my setup and you can set an IA to different amps to change them on the fly.

Tags
axe fx , drum amp , philisiraptor , pm 10 , xiphos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode