B-52 AT100 Tri-Mode Rectifier - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

B-52 AT100 Tri-Mode Rectifier

I got the chance to crank one of these bad boys at Guitar Center not too long ago and it completely blew my ass off. One of the guys who worked there pulled me away from a Line 6 Spider II 30 watt amp and plugged me into this thing. I had no idea that we could get away with having it cranked like he had it cranked because the whole freakin' store was vibrating and there's no possible way that EVERYONE couldn't hear it. On top of that, the guy let me play through it at that volume for a good 20 minutes and he even played through it for about 10 minutes. Now i've always been a solid state user just because it's what I could afford (plus I never really needed anything with a lot of power) but after playing through this amp I finally understand why people say that tubes are the way to go.

I wanted to get some expert Jemsite opinions about this amp from those who have checked it out. For a tube amp, the price tag on this baby is sweet extremely sweet but I lack tube amp experience when they are at volume so how would you guys say that this one stacks up to the competition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 10:53 PM

Re: B-52 AT100 Tri-Mode Rectifier

I don't have a ton of experience with the amp, but I did play one for about 15 minutes at Guitar Center and was extremely impressed... for the money, it sounds great and has some pretty cool features. Frankly, if I was in the market for a rectifier-type amp, I'd be more likely to buy the B52 for half the cost of a real Mesa.

My bandmate uses B52 cabs (their 4x12's with Vintage 30's)... they are quite durable and sound great as well, espcially considering the cost.

--B
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 03:57 AM

they are pretty good considering the cost of a new amp... i see it's opened your eyes to tubes. if you love the tone then cool.. i think the peavey xxx is just a little more change so you may want to check those out too. for me, used is where i find bang for the buck. what are these new? like 6 or 700? you can find a used amp for under 800 that will destroy it. mesa dcs, xxx's, marshall jcms, but like i said if you try them out and still like the b-52 then cool
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far. My problem is that I just don't run into used tube amps around here so there's no way to try them out. Playing through the AT100 was my first TRUE tube experience even though I had previously played through a Mark something and a double rectifer from Mesa but not at volume.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 06:56 PM

thats where all the good sound is, the more you crank it, bthe better it sounds (to a point obviously) where as its the opposite for solid state (when you crank them beyond what they are capable of sound distubing)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 10:29 PM
rgr

I haven't tried them but I have heard reallly good things about them. FWIW, Ronnie Le Tekro of TNT is using B-52s now.

Roger
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

I'm resurrecting an old thread to see if anyone has any new insights on the B-52 AT-100 Tri-Mode Rectifier. I've been playing Line 6 Spider II's for the past year and a half and I want to upgrade to a tube amp and this seems like my best bet so I wanted to get some more opinions about the amp or any other comparable amps in the same price range.

Tags
tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode