Bad Horsie vs. Vox vs. Dunlop - Which is the Crybaby of choi - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Bad Horsie vs. Vox vs. Dunlop - Which is the Crybaby of choi

My Dunlop is in need of replacement. *I bought a Bad Horsie today and plugged it in before my gig. *It didn't even make it to the downbeat of the first song. *Didn't like the spring action and the wah didn't "open" far enough (sonically) for my taste. *It was also about $30 more expensive than the Dunlop.

I like the Dunlop, since it's got that "classic" sound, but i haven't tried others. *What does anyone else here like? :help:
~Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 11:54 PM

Bad Horsie vs. Vox vs. Dunlop

I haven't had a chance to try one yet, but I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the Tech 21 Killer Wail.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 12:07 AM
rgr

The Vox's and Crybaby's are nice, I like the sweep of a regular wah better than the BH too. *Just put a true bypass switch in either of those (check www.fulltone.com for details). *It makes a world of difference. *There is also the Killer Wail like Dave Swift mentioned, I haven't got a chance to try one yet, Budda makes a nice wah as well as some Roger Mayer and some other boutique types but they cost quite a bit. *I like my Vox with true bypass, I guess I've just gotten used to it.

$0.02,
Roger
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 12:51 AM

I have/have had the BH, Crybaby, Vox, Sepuveda Crybaby, and the 535Q...the latter is my favorite.

Here's a new one on the market...

http://silvermachine.de/en/silvmac.htm

Looks like a vintage Morley wah with a Mesa Recto face lift. *Zee Gchermans made it gut, ya!

Greg
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 02:12 AM

I also suggest the Killer Wail Wah and/or the Budda wah's. Both very crybaby'sih with their own charactor.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Just looked into the KW.
looks good on paper, but ex$pensive - anyone know of anyone selling one privately?

~K
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 09:35 AM

The one wah I love to bits is a silver limited edition vox wah I bought several years ago, like the vox wah sound, but more of it (more range), which might be what you want. And it's shiny

I like vox wah's, but I think the weird limited runs they tend to do are worth the extra money as it isn't just the cosmetics that they've tweaked.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 10:38 AM

What about the BH 2? Anyone try that yet?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

as far as i know, the difference is that the BH2 allows control over the freq. like the Killer wail (and the fancier dunlop) which i'm sure would be better, but it's also got that damn spring - didn't like that part at all.

Has anyone tried to take the spring out of the BH? *i wonder if that'd be an imporvement. *It'd become like the traditional wah, except the switch would be on the 'closed' end, rather than the 'open' end.

~K
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 11:04 AM

I find the range of the BH to be a little limited, but it's good for single note stuff, a true rock metal type wah if you ask me. You can really get the screamy wah effect with the right eq settings.

If you're going for a really good wah pedal, IMHO check out the fulltone clyde wah! Killer!

www.fulltone.com

Chris.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 06:32 AM

Why replace? Fix the Cry Baby and get a Bad Horise as well. I mean, we have more than 1 guitar for different sound, why not 10 wah wahs? hehe
I have Cry Baby, Bad Horise 2 and digitech
XP100 Wah.. all have their own use. I do recommend a Bad Horise for metal lead guitar wah and great for stage since its switchless. None of them are perfect, the Budda wah is very nice. Fix the Cry Baby with a true bypass or Roger Mayer's electronic replacement sets. Bad Horsie II's contour setting let u choose different wah sounds, some people might find useful.. I haven't yet.

Last edited by SHREDlamode; 01-11-2007 at 10:06 AM.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 08:17 AM

The fulltone Clyde wah seems like it's worth checking out...
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 11:54 AM

Whadabout this? Anybody heard it?

-bill
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

looks insteresting enough...$149 at MF. *It'd better be good...
it looks plastic - if it is, no deal....
curious if anybody's heard it though.

~Kenny
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 02:40 PM
rgr

Leave it to Bill to bring up a Roland digital product, they should be paying you man:innocent:

Tags
combo amp , dunlop crybaby , mesa recto , morley wah , vox wah , wah pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode