Bad Horsie wah. Help needed - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Bad Horsie wah. Help needed

Hi there. I got a second hand BH Wah today and im not very happy with the sound im getting out of it. Im using a battery that came with it, so maybe thats making the signal slightly weaker. but the overal tone is very week indeed. Theres basically no sweep, its just either a very thin tone toe down, hardly nothing heal down, and the main stuff in the midle, yet that still isnt up to much.

I cant seem to get close to anything ive heard the bad horsie do

I heard you can mod it by changing how much light enters the....thingeh :/ Is there anything i can do to beef it up a bit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 12:48 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
It's hard to tell from what you posted if this is a glitch with your BH or not. The biggest rap on the BH is it's tone curve is quite limiting. get a new battery and see if that helps. you can adjust the "on/off delay" (see jemsite tech section)... glen
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Hmm. I got a new battery and it seems to be the same. Although i took the delay off which is slightly better.

Im not really sure how its meant to sound, maybe its s combo of **** leads and a **** amp with a standard RG570, or maybe it just sucks. Whatever it is, i cant seem to get anything close to what Mr vai does.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 12:44 AM

Try using the bridge pickup more....I don't know if u have been using the neck pickup when u use it.

My BH sounds fine to me.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly
Whatever it is, i cant seem to get anything close to what Mr vai does.
I like my BH2, of course it's the only wah I've ever used. I've read somewhere -- probably on Jemsite -- that Mr. Vai rarely uses the BH/ I think it said he usually uses the Digitech Whammy.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly
Whatever it is, i cant seem to get anything close to what Mr vai does.
I like my BH2, of course it's the only wah I've ever used. I've read somewhere -- probably on Jemsite -- that Mr. Vai rarely uses the BH/ I think it said he usually uses the Digitech Whammy.
thats apples and oranges dude....whammy is for pitch shifting, bh is a wah pedal
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 04:58 AM

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 07:40 PM

Yeah, the Whammy has nothing to do with wah. I thought I read that Vai uses a Crybaby most of the time live and all the time in the studio. I never believed that Vai actually uses the BH wahs.

Swirly, have you been using a deferent wah pedal before you got the BH? My personal feeling is that Morleys are the worst sounding wahs for the exact reason you stated. Ive always used a Vox wah and more recently a Teese wah. Its 1 of only 3 pedals I use that effect my tone so its very important to me sonically. If your used to the vocalness and range of, say, a vox, the BH may sound weak to you. Of coarse my impression of BH comes from trying it only a few times in a music store.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 07:49 PM

Also, are you using a pedal for distortion?

If so are you puting the wah before or after the Distortion?

For a mainstream wah sound the wah MUST go BEFORE the distortion. It should be one of, or, the first pedal your guitar plugs into. I still like the effect of puting it after the distortion but Its rarely used that way by guitarists. If you have it in the FX loop make sure you put it before the amp and not in the FX loop.

Sorry if you find that suggestion insulting. I dont know what level of experience your at so if you consider that rudementary I mean no offense.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan D Mahnn

Swirly, have you been using a deferent wah pedal before you got the BH?
Yeah i used to have a crybaby, and got rid of it. Then wanted to get another wah and after hearing things like BH and FTLOG the wah seemed like the type i was after.
But i just isnt what i thought.

Its not that its crap, its just not as good as i thought

Dan D Mahnn: Im not using a distortion pedal. I am only using the crap distortion on my MG30w amp
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 11:53 AM

Im not very sure about the song BH, but you do realize the BH wah was NOT used to record FTLOG in the studio or on the G3. Im almost posative it wasnt used to record BH either though I may be wrong about that.

If your very descriminative about wahs, and it sounds like you are, you should look into Teese and Fulltone wahs. Modern production wahs (morley, Vox, Dunlop) are OK at best sonically. To me they flat out suck . Some of these boutique guys really capture the sweep, sweep range and tone of original wahs. Thats how its supposed to sound. Most people will say theyre modern wah is the best, becouse, well... (due to lack of funds or knowledge of its existence) they've never played anything better and will never know anything but modern cheapo production pedals. Its not a subtle difference either. Its a MAJOR difference in tone. Of coarse some people will flat out like new wahs better (not me!! !!) But Ill tell you one thing, the first time you pedal up then down on a Teese Picture wah or a Fulltone Clyde wah, itll hit you in the face what a huge difference it is from what your used to.

Of coarse the boutique wahs are much more $$$.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Dan D Mahnn: Im not using a distortion pedal. I am only using the crap distortion on my MG30w amp

Of coarse you can have the best wah pedal on the planet. If the rest of your rig doesnt sound very good, the wah isnt gonna improve that much. Especially when it come to distortion. Its possable that that is a large part of your problem.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Vendor

Eh, just buy an old Thomas built Crybaby and you'll never want for anything else
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan D Mahnn
Im not very sure about the song BH, but you do realize the BH wah was NOT used to record FTLOG in the studio or on the G3. Im almost posative it wasnt used to record BH either though I may be wrong about that.
Although i ad doubts as to what wah was being used on the G3 FTLOG, if your right, then its a bit misleading knowing that steve didnt even use the Bad Horsie wah, for Bad Horsie
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 04:33 PM

Bad Horsie, the wah, was named after the song. Not Vice Versa.

Tags
bridge pickup , digitech whammy , distortion pedal , horsie wah , music store , neck pickup , pitch shifting , vox wah , wah pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode