Bass amp for use with guitar? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 45
Bass amp for use with guitar?

Allright. Well, I all of a sudden had this crazy idea about .. what if .. you were to stick a guitar into a bass amp?! Answer: You get a nice bottom on the thing, while keeping all the tonal values. However, I did not try to plug in any of my pedals, to use my distortion and such. I do not care for using an amps distortion. So i thought, if I could get an amazing clean sound from a bass amp, and then run my pedals through it. Would it be worthwhile? Any of you fellow jemsiters tried this out? What are your tips and tricks? I'd love to suck in all knowledge I can!
Edit: Another thing is, that you get a nice equalizer with it, instead of a three-band, of course. Well what are your thoughts?

Last edited by Gladhed; 07-18-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Insufficient!
Gladhed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: Bass amp for use with guitar?

I had to do that in 1985 when my amp died before a show. Works just fine. As far as getting more bottom end--that's not necessarily going to happen just because it's a bass amp. The bass itself plus the beefier strings, etc make that happen. You can run whatever effects you want into it--it's just an amp. You're not going to hear much difference between a bass amp or guitar amp with a guitar plugged into it.



AlaskaBat is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:06 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 2,878
Reviews: 4
Re: Bass amp for use with guitar?

the EQ is calibrated differently, so just don't touch that too much.
fwd0120 is offline  
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:06 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: North Platte, NE
Posts: 735
Re: Bass amp for use with guitar?

Ummmm... how about a Fender Bassman?
jallen is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: Bass amp for use with guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
the EQ is calibrated differently, so just don't touch that too much.
Just different frequencies. Just need to flatten all EQ settings and then run whatever outboard effects and EQ. Basically just using it as a power amp.



AlaskaBat is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:43 AM
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2,561
Reviews: 34
Re: Bass amp for use with guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladhed View Post
Allright. Well, I all of a sudden had this crazy idea about .. what if .. you were to stick a guitar into a bass amp?! Answer: You get a nice bottom on the thing, while keeping all the tonal values. However, I did not try to plug in any of my pedals, to use my distortion and such. I do not care for using an amps distortion. So i thought, if I could get an amazing clean sound from a bass amp, and then run my pedals through it. Would it be worthwhile? Any of you fellow jemsiters tried this out? What are your tips and tricks? I'd love to suck in all knowledge I can!
Edit: Another thing is, that you get a nice equalizer with it, instead of a three-band, of course. Well what are your thoughts?
I know of one studio that uses a Marshall bass head for guitar.

Works fine apparently.
nickcoumbe is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:02 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 9,233
Reviews: 120
Re: Bass amp for use with guitar?

Plenty of people have probably used bass amps over the years, namely the Fender Bassman. Weren't the original Marshalls based off this?

I used an old cheap bass amp for a while in my teens. Got it for nothing, and was loud enough for me to play with my band. Did the job.
LonePhantom is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:39 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: philippines
Posts: 23
Re: Bass amp for use with guitar?

what happens if it was the other way around, a bass on a guitar amp? how would it sound?
VAustin89 is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:53 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: Bass amp for use with guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAustin89 View Post
what happens if it was the other way around, a bass on a guitar amp? how would it sound?
Go down to SM Mega-Mall to the music store and find out. Or, the music store at Robinson Mall.....Kumosta Ka?????



AlaskaBat is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 04:41 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: philippines
Posts: 23
Re: Bass amp for use with guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Go down to SM Mega-Mall to the music store and find out. Or, the music store at Robinson Mall.....Kumosta Ka?????
cant do that stuck on work... i guess i'll sacrifice my 10watt crapAmp.. and see what happens.. haha..
(do you speak filipino?? )
VAustin89 is offline  
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 45
Re: Bass amp for use with guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAustin89 View Post
what happens if it was the other way around, a bass on a guitar amp? how would it sound?
I've tried that with a Roland something, something. It doesn't give the excact same bottom-end as a huge old Marshall.
Gladhed is offline  
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: philippines
Posts: 23
Re: Bass amp for use with guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladhed View Post
I've tried that with a Roland something, something. It doesn't give the excact same bottom-end as a huge old Marshall.
does it damage the guitar amp?
VAustin89 is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 45
Re: Bass amp for use with guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAustin89 View Post
does it damage the guitar amp?
That would probably depend on how much you turn it up. It hasn't damaged this one, as I still crank it to eleven every once in a while with a guitar! But, eh .. I wouldn't suggest turning it up too loud.
Gladhed is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:31 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: philippines
Posts: 23
Re: Bass amp for use with guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladhed View Post
That would probably depend on how much you turn it up. It hasn't damaged this one, as I still crank it to eleven every once in a while with a guitar! But, eh .. I wouldn't suggest turning it up too loud.
thanks!
VAustin89 is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 06:21 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: Bass amp for use with guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAustin89 View Post
cant do that stuck on work... i guess i'll sacrifice my 10watt crapAmp.. and see what happens.. haha..
(do you speak filipino?? )
...only when I'm drinking Royal Tru-Orange, eating adobo and watching TFC!



AlaskaBat is offline  
Reply

Tags
amplifier , bass , guitar

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bass cab for guitar amp scotte_za Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 7 06-22-2007 07:53 AM
bass cab vs guitar cab nott^^ Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 0 01-11-2007 07:52 PM
Guitar through a bass amp Labrie Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 6 09-20-2005 04:54 PM
Bass? Guitar? Both? Wound All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 16 05-13-2003 04:33 AM
Bass Guitar - And Amp Two hands31 Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 0 08-12-2001 08:07 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome