Bass amp for use with guitar? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Bass amp for use with guitar?

Allright. Well, I all of a sudden had this crazy idea about .. what if .. you were to stick a guitar into a bass amp?! Answer: You get a nice bottom on the thing, while keeping all the tonal values. However, I did not try to plug in any of my pedals, to use my distortion and such. I do not care for using an amps distortion. So i thought, if I could get an amazing clean sound from a bass amp, and then run my pedals through it. Would it be worthwhile? Any of you fellow jemsiters tried this out? What are your tips and tricks? I'd love to suck in all knowledge I can!
Edit: Another thing is, that you get a nice equalizer with it, instead of a three-band, of course. Well what are your thoughts?

Last edited by Gladhed; 07-18-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Insufficient!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Bass amp for use with guitar?

I had to do that in 1985 when my amp died before a show. Works just fine. As far as getting more bottom end--that's not necessarily going to happen just because it's a bass amp. The bass itself plus the beefier strings, etc make that happen. You can run whatever effects you want into it--it's just an amp. You're not going to hear much difference between a bass amp or guitar amp with a guitar plugged into it.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:06 PM

Reviews: 4

the EQ is calibrated differently, so just don't touch that too much.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:06 AM

Ummmm... how about a Fender Bassman?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
the EQ is calibrated differently, so just don't touch that too much.
Just different frequencies. Just need to flatten all EQ settings and then run whatever outboard effects and EQ. Basically just using it as a power amp.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:43 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladhed View Post
Allright. Well, I all of a sudden had this crazy idea about .. what if .. you were to stick a guitar into a bass amp?! Answer: You get a nice bottom on the thing, while keeping all the tonal values. However, I did not try to plug in any of my pedals, to use my distortion and such. I do not care for using an amps distortion. So i thought, if I could get an amazing clean sound from a bass amp, and then run my pedals through it. Would it be worthwhile? Any of you fellow jemsiters tried this out? What are your tips and tricks? I'd love to suck in all knowledge I can!
Edit: Another thing is, that you get a nice equalizer with it, instead of a three-band, of course. Well what are your thoughts?
I know of one studio that uses a Marshall bass head for guitar.

Works fine apparently.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:02 AM

Reviews: 120

Plenty of people have probably used bass amps over the years, namely the Fender Bassman. Weren't the original Marshalls based off this?

I used an old cheap bass amp for a while in my teens. Got it for nothing, and was loud enough for me to play with my band. Did the job.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:39 AM

what happens if it was the other way around, a bass on a guitar amp? how would it sound?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAustin89 View Post
what happens if it was the other way around, a bass on a guitar amp? how would it sound?
Go down to SM Mega-Mall to the music store and find out. Or, the music store at Robinson Mall.....Kumosta Ka?????

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Go down to SM Mega-Mall to the music store and find out. Or, the music store at Robinson Mall.....Kumosta Ka?????
cant do that stuck on work... i guess i'll sacrifice my 10watt crapAmp.. and see what happens.. haha..
(do you speak filipino?? )
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I've tried that with a Roland something, something. It doesn't give the excact same bottom-end as a huge old Marshall.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
I've tried that with a Roland something, something. It doesn't give the excact same bottom-end as a huge old Marshall.
does it damage the guitar amp?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
does it damage the guitar amp?
That would probably depend on how much you turn it up. It hasn't damaged this one, as I still crank it to eleven every once in a while with a guitar! But, eh .. I wouldn't suggest turning it up too loud.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
That would probably depend on how much you turn it up. It hasn't damaged this one, as I still crank it to eleven every once in a while with a guitar! But, eh .. I wouldn't suggest turning it up too loud.
thanks!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 06:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
cant do that stuck on work... i guess i'll sacrifice my 10watt crapAmp.. and see what happens.. haha..
(do you speak filipino?? )
...only when I'm drinking Royal Tru-Orange, eating adobo and watching TFC!

Tags
amplifier , bass , guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode