BBE sonoc maximizer - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

BBE sonoc maximizer

anyone using this? ive heard good things about it and a few bad. looking to possibly get one and wanted to get others feedback. is it a tone killer? the youtube videos sounded good? review were good as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 03:56 PM

Re: BBE sonoc maximizer

Love my Sonic Stomp, never turn it off and can't play without it... adds presence, tightens the low-end and packs a mean punch.

It replaced my CAE Line Driver a year ago... the CAE added sparkle to my tone and was generally good but the Sonic did something magical.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:02 PM

Reviews: 12

The jury is still out here, but at the end of the day its about what please's YOUR ear that matters!
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:47 PM

What exactly does the BBE stuff DO? I've searched it up before and come away confused as to its actual effect.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanrio View Post
Love my Sonic Stomp, never turn it off and can't play without it... adds presence, tightens the low-end and packs a mean punch.

It replaced my CAE Line Driver a year ago... the CAE added sparkle to my tone and was generally good but the Sonic did something magical.
so the stomp box and the rack unit work the same? i was going to get the rack unit.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:38 PM

Reviews: 59

The stomp box and rack unit work the same, it's just that the stomp box is only one channel and unbalanced ins/outs. As for what they do, it's basically an EQ that allows you to tailor bass and treble response in your signal. Think of it like a presence control and a bass boost in one unit. I've used the stomp box for 2 years and that's what I've found it to do. I went through an initial phase where I never turned it off but have gradually come to use it in a booster format for melodies/solos to help cut through the mix. It does not radically alter your sound but can add an extra EQ dimension to things.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 PM

Reviews: 12

I have a Sonic Stomp in the effects loop of my HT-5.
Because the loop is post preamp in the amps signal path, the pedal acts like resonance and presence controls for the power section.
Frequencies project unevenly out of your speakers. Although only a few milliseconds apart, this can cause a perception of muddiness and not accurately represent your amps true tone. What the Maximizer does does is align your amps freq's before they project out of the speakers so that they can be heard clearly and properly. Many people say it's like a blanket being taken off their speakers, which is attributed to the new found clarity. Once the pedal is on, it's working to align the projected freq's. The two dials then allow you to further tweak the strength of the highs and lows.
I've always said it's a strange pedal, but it's a good one.

Last edited by Van Noord; 08-18-2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 01:31 PM

I used to be a believer. I had one on my 5150 and loved it. Couldn't play it without one. Then I sold both, and bought a JSX. I got nostalgic and bought the pedal version. Didn't work the same mojo on the JSX as it did on the 5150. The 5150 is not an articulate amp, so the BBE worked great. The JSX is already very articulate, it just made it over bright. Could have something to do with active eq, I dunno. I just know 5150 = good, JSX = bad
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:36 PM

Reviews: 59

I've had similar experiences with mine. Sometimes I love it's tone and other times I find it a bit too bright/articulate/etc. I totally agree with anyone who says it's like a blanket being taken off of your amp. It lets me punch through the mix without a significant volume increase on solos, but I can see how an articulate amp would not be improved by it.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 11:59 AM

A friend of mine let me borrow his this weekend. I searched on the internet for what it actually is but its kind of hard to find that info.

I used it with clean channel and full on gain.

Clean: LO gives it beef.. warmth. Basically it adds bass. PROCESS cleans it up and adds treble. Its almost like a bright switch on an amp. Overall I like to add a little PROCESS into the clean tone and it makes it sound very clear and nice.
Full gain: The LO added bass.. something I didn't like. It turned out that it made it much too muddy or the bass just too strong in the mix. PROCESS made my tone shrilly. If I added just a little bit it gives it a nice presence to the mix.

Verdict: Not for me. Its pretty much an EQ with only 2 knobs for $99. Not worth it. It does make it sound a little clearer, but for $99 no thanks.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousef View Post
A friend of mine let me borrow his this weekend. I searched on the internet for what it actually is but its kind of hard to find that info.

I used it with clean channel and full on gain.

Clean: LO gives it beef.. warmth. Basically it adds bass. PROCESS cleans it up and adds treble. Its almost like a bright switch on an amp. Overall I like to add a little PROCESS into the clean tone and it makes it sound very clear and nice.
Full gain: The LO added bass.. something I didn't like. It turned out that it made it much too muddy or the bass just too strong in the mix. PROCESS made my tone shrilly. If I added just a little bit it gives it a nice presence to the mix.

Verdict: Not for me. Its pretty much an EQ with only 2 knobs for $99. Not worth it. It does make it sound a little clearer, but for $99 no thanks.
thanks for the review and i will keep what you said in mind. much apperciated bro.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 05:53 PM

Reviews: 22

I've used the pedal version live and 3 of the rackmount versions, i'm down to a slightly older black 382 i believe thats the number.

I think the idea is genious and with almost everything you should spend time tweaking and eq'ing it with your amps and effects.

Cody from After 11 swears it is the best thing that ever happened.

It really helped my 6505 and xxx heads, articulation on the 6505 and beefiness on the xxx.

It works well with recto's too.

On amps like the peavey classic 30 and Carvin legacy it didn't seem as helpful to me.

It sounds more like upgraded speakers than taking a blanket off to me.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEE HAMMER View Post
I've used the pedal version live and 3 of the rackmount versions, i'm down to a slightly older black 382 i believe thats the number.

I think the idea is genious and with almost everything you should spend time tweaking and eq'ing it with your amps and effects.

Cody from After 11 swears it is the best thing that ever happened.

It really helped my 6505 and xxx heads, articulation on the 6505 and beefiness on the xxx.

It works well with recto's too.

On amps like the peavey classic 30 and Carvin legacy it didn't seem as helpful to me.

It sounds more like upgraded speakers than taking a blanket off to me.
cool. thats what i like to hear. glad it worked out for you getting nice sounds.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousef View Post
Sonic mazimizers are been used for decades to clear up mixings and besides adding bass and treble it takes out that annoying 1Khz mid range area.
For playing ALONE it adds air,dimension to your tone BUT when playing with a band or recording it kills guitar tone cause guitar, like our voices, is a mid range instrument,cutting those mids will make you disapear in your band.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 06:31 PM

Reviews: 22

Glad i could help.

I saw some custon painted BBE Sonic Maximizer Rm's a while back, one was the 821? (3 in/outputs) and the other had three block letters FXE bother were bright metallic orange, I wanted to suss them sooooooo badly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to set up sonic maximizer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode