beginning to look for a tube amp - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Re: beginning to look for a tube amp

what about a peavey valveking 1x12? I found a local listing of a brand new one what someone needs to sell for money, ..$200! that's half price and reviews sound like it's a great amp. Any experience here on this one? it should definitely be able to pull off the sounds I'm looking for based on the soundclips on the peavey website as well as youtube vids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:43 PM

Also a good thing to do is try a some out. Orange makes some nice amps.
I hear the new marshalls sound great, Boogies combos are not bad.
Try out the Marshalls Vintage/Modern Amp I haven't tried one out yet but I read good reviews.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 12:26 AM

I bought a Valve King 2x12 combo back when they first came out. The amp died on me two days after I bought it! They aren't bad amps though, I know a few others who have had reliability issues with Valve Kings. For $200, it's worth trying out. You never know if you'll like it or not until you try it. I can give you my insight on various amps, but nobody has the same tastes and opinions.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmiester View Post
I bought a Valve King 2x12 combo back when they first came out. The amp died on me two days after I bought it! They aren't bad amps though, I know a few others who have had reliability issues with Valve Kings. For $200, it's worth trying out. You never know if you'll like it or not until you try it. I can give you my insight on various amps, but nobody has the same tastes and opinions.
Cool. I was just wondering if it's even worth checking out, that's all. I did read one review where somebody said there was an issue of total volume loss for about a whole second when switching channels. I can't imagine they designed it like that on purpose, but if it's more than just that guy's, ...that kills that option for me, lol.

I'll stop by the G.C. tomorrow and see what they got for me to play and check out.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 01:21 AM

I don't remember a volume loss while switching channels. Let me know what amps you get around to testing out tomorrow.
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 01:39 AM

Boogie Mark Series. That's the way to go.
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmiester View Post
The songs, tones, and albums you mentioned none of them are very gainy or something the Classic 30 can't handle. Satch has used the Classic 50 (head) in the studio in the past. He really doesn't use a whole lot of gain, especially live. On tour, he's had the gain on his JSX at about 10 o'clock.
True d'at on the tone of the songs I mentioned. Some of the Crystal Planet rythym sounds to me like it's getting gainy. I like the smooth sounds of Satch and Vai, but I also like stuff like Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden (Fresh Tendrils tone!), and in Audioslave, Tom Morello gets some insane tone on them riffs he's groovin' to.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 04:18 PM

My favorite Satch album, the most underrated, is his self titled album. The tones on that album are great! I also like Crystal Planet because it sounded 'bigger' than the other albums. His cleans with the JSX are really nice, but I prefer his tone when he was using Marshall's.
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordhauser View Post
Boogie Mark Series. That's the way to go.

didn't the guy say no more than $500?????

I have an Orange Tiny terror........ and can gig with it - AWESOME!

I just put a little Aligator - a Tubescreamer - a Bad Horsie in front of it for a little versatility!

Buy one - you won't regret it.........

Max
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: beginning to look for a tube amp

Well, the strangest thing happened today.....I went to G.C. to test drive different tube amps to see what appealed to me. Unfortunately, they didn't have the Marshall Vintage/Modern combo in, only the head and cab which is too much for me. So, the story goes, ...dude had me check out a Peavey Classic 50, 2x12. He said "you won't believe what we are letting this go for, ...$500 (sticker price is just under $900). I thought that was a deal too good to pass up. So I plugged in and played for a while.

I could INSTANTLY hear and feel the difference in the tube amp vs. the Flextone III. I didn't even have to think about it, ...it was just so obvious to me. I've had my Flextone for a while now and I've played with its settings in deep editing a bit too. I can now say, unbiased (since all I've ever owned is a Crate 1x12 solid state back in the day, a Line 6 GuitarPort, and the Flextone III), ...tube freaking ROCKS! Sorry modeling guys, the difference is very real, very noticeable, and quite OMG tastee! Anyway, back to the evening:

I thought the Classic 50 sounded pretty good, ...the gain sounded nice, ...kinda british to me. I was just about sold on the deal except I noticed it didn't seem to have much "kick/punch" to it, ...the volume was up pretty good on about 4 and the volume was very low, with pre and post volume up and trying different combinations.

Sooo, ...even though I didn't like my friends Classic 30, and the videos on youtube and Peavey's site didn't make a believer out of me, ...I still had to plug in and A/B it against the Classic 50. OMFG! The tone and sound literally freaking LEPT out of that cab with some BIG, round, tubular tone! This amp really sounds about a dozen times bigger than it is, I swear it, ...crap, I still ain't over it.

I sat in disbelief and amazement. I do NOT remember my friend's 30 sounding like that at all, but I got to thinking that he did change his speaker out to a Celestion, and it's possible his tubes may be old, or maybe I've just gotten so used to the Flextone that I can actually hear the difference because it is soooo different than what my ear is used to.

Furthermore, contrary to soundclips and videos I heard on youtube and Peavey's site with the amp supposedly at full distorted lead tone, ...this amp gets WAY crunchier and distorted than that and it kicks major dadgum A$$! Again, I just sat in total unbelief with my jaw hanging on the floor. End of the story, ...I took it home with me, ...and I am still AMAZED. It changed EVERYTHING! My guitars sound better, my Boss DS-1 and Bad Horsie Wah sound incredible through it! My tone wrocks, and it is what Joe Satriani has been talking about, "tubular"! I can hear that!

No wonder a few of you kept saying "I really think the Classic 30 will do what you need"! The G.C. guy told me that since they recently became an authorized Peavey dealer, ...they haven't sold a Crate Palomino, LOL. He had 10 Classic 30's on Monday, ...I took the floor model!

I can't thank all of you who commented and helped me enough. The conclusion really is that you have to just go play the darn things. I could go on and on for a mile about how overjoyed I am, but I bet some of you already know what this amp can do. I am now Tubular!!!
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 11:18 PM

Good to hear you tested and were blown away by the amp. Have fun with it!
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 01:31 AM

The Power of an EL34 shall glow deep within you or ummm errrrr
or the 6L6 shall glow no wait 5881

May the power of the tube be with you.

I have gas damm the burrito.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTac in my eye View Post
The Power of an EL34 shall glow deep within you or ummm errrrr
or the 6L6 shall glow no wait 5881

May the power of the tube be with you.

I have gas damm the burrito.

LOL. It's one fine sounding amp, that's for sure. And man it is LOUD. Them 'er tubes is: Four EL84s and three 12AX7s. I soooo totally did not go with any intention of actually making a purchase today, ...but I just didn't see any use in waiting after playing that sweet amp! I have been missing out! The crunch is just amazing. Played some drop D riffs on it and there are just no words. The amp has a superb "bark" to it that I luv. I really wanted to try out that Marshall, but I saved $1000+ by getting the Peavey, ...and it's nothing to sneeze at for sure, ...a very popular and well established amp. Now I see why.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 01:45 AM

Hey tt...can you tell me how your tone is and whose it sounds most like if that's possible...I mean I know your guitar and pickups and everything matter, but it would be nice to have some idea. I'm looking to finally get a nice tube amp soon and one that won't break the bank would be nice...

Sound clips would be awesome...
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyMan View Post
Hey tt...can you tell me how your tone is and whose it sounds most like if that's possible...I mean I know your guitar and pickups and everything matter, but it would be nice to have some idea. I'm looking to finally get a nice tube amp soon and one that won't break the bank would be nice...

Sound clips would be awesome...
Dude, I tell you what, ...I've got a tube mic too that's been sitting around in it's case doing nothing, ...so I will make you some sound clips dude! I'll try to do that tonight. I won't be able to let the volume completely run free because this sucker is hot and loud, ...and I have some respect for my neighbors, lol. But I'll try to open it up a little for ya. Dunno where to post it though.

My custom swirl JEM has DiMarzio Norton (bridge), ISCV-2 Single Coil, and Air Norton (neck). It also has a push/pull pot for splitting the norton's into single coil mode.

The RGT320QRBB has the stock Dimarzio/IBZ pups.

I have a Strat with YJM (neck), HS-3 (bridge), and crappy mexican stock middle pup. This guitar is only playable up to about the seventh fret right now because the guy who customized it for me didn't press the frets all the way in. Gotta get that fixed soon.

And, ...the Gibson SG STD all stock. Let me know what you wanna hear and I'll try to accommodate.

Tone description, ..well, I'll try. The tone to me is like a blanket of warm tone wrapped around you. I think the tone is: big, round, tubular, crunchy or smooth depending on the settings. I don't know what other adjectives to use here. Get's a good brown sound to me. The clean channel is equally impressive, but I didn't spend nearly as much time with that last night. It has some shimmering in the highs that is hypnotic to me.

I can most certainly get Iron Maiden on this amp. I played some Hot for Teacher and it sounded pretty darn close to me. I can get SRV Riviera Paradise/Lenny type tones out of it, ...I played For The Love of God on it last night and was kinda in shock at how close it brought me! Much closer than the Flextone, period. Definitely Stone Temple Pilots can be owned through this thing. Can certainly get Satriani tones outta this puppy! He has been quoted as saying he uses the Classic 30 for recording, I think he also uses the Classic 50. I gotta say after playing One Big Rush several times on it last night, and Crystal Planet, ...I was really asking myself "whoa! did he record those songs on this amp?" Can most certainly get AC/DC outta here, which means Def Leppard and other classic rock as well, ...including very Hendrix-ee sounds. It really is an incredibly versatile amp. Oh yeah, ...if you are into Yngwie, I'd say you can probably get right close to his tone outta this thing too.

I HIGHLY recommend you play one in a store. I wouldn't order anything blind after my test driving session, that's for sure. I am really tempted to just say BUY IT and push you in that direction, ...but you need to go by your own ears and what you are looking for. That said, I couldn't find an amp in the store that was in the same universe as this amp.

The tone is just pouring out warmth. It has a most definite "roundness" about it, extra especially on the neck pup.

Tags
air norton , coil mode , crystal planet , custom jem , custom swirl , custom swirl jem , def leppard , digitech whammy , dimarzio norton , distorted tone , distorted tones , equipped guitar , flextone iii , horsie wah , iron maiden , joe satriani , mesa mark , mesa mark iii , music store , neck pup , paf pro , peavey classic , peavey valveking , practice amp , rob balducci , swirl jem , tom morello , tube amp , tube amps , tube preamp , tube tone , valve king , van halen , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode