Behringer direct boxes -- anybody tried 'em? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Behringer direct boxes -- anybody tried 'em?

I was just looking to pick up a few basic direct boxes for my studio, and was really intrigued by the features of some of the Behringer boxes given the price.

For example, the Ultra-G GI100 box has a switchable 4x12 cab simulator, can run on XLR phantom power, and is capable of connecting to an amp's speaker out to capture power amp tone (provided you connect a load to the direct box "thru").

Then the ADI21 and BDI21 boxes are optimized for acoustic guitars & bass... they basically are rip-offs (from a feature perspective) of the Sansamp Acoustic DI and Bass DI boxes, with adjustable EQ & gain controls.

Of course, since they're all Behringer boxes, nothing sells for more than $35 new.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody here had tried using these boxes, whether for recording or live performance. I just sold an ADA Microcab and put a Bass V-Amp and AG Stomp up for sale because they were all a little more than I needed, and was thinking it might be nice to have a couple of the Behringer boxes for spontaneous recording projects.

--B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 07:27 AM

Re: Behringer direct boxes -- anybody tried 'em?

I used an Ultra GI100 on these last year. I used an RG570 with EMG 85 in the bridge into my Carvin Legacy. The 4X12 cab sim is switched on.

These are rough (pardon my sloppy playing) but I hope they give you an idea of the sound:

Hopefully these links still work.

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Me..._000023103.mp3

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Me..._000023893.mp3
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:12 AM

they're DI boxes are the best. anything else from them sucks balls.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Well, I took a chance and ordered two GI100's (for guitar), a BDI21 (for bass), and ADI21 (for acoustic) this week... I figured they're worth a shot for the $$$ and the potential to simplify my recording setup (and knowing, of course, that if they did "suck balls", I could return 'em). The ADI21 is back-ordered, but I received my GI-100's and BDI21 already, and put them to use to record the following track (which is about as good as I can improvise on a Saturday morning with no coffee):

http://studio.naughtybutterspoon.com/behringerdi.mp3

The following setup was used for guitar:
PRS Custom 24 w/ Dragon II's -->
Sparkle Drive (for solo part) -->
RM4 preamp (Brown channel for part 1, Recto channel for part 2, Ultra Lead channel for solo part) -->
Intellifex in parallel loop (for light reverb, delays) -->
RT2/50 power amp (JJ 6L6's on left, JJ EL34's on right) -->
Behringer GI100's w/ cab sim enabled -->
ART Tube Channel preamps

So, what's worthy of note is that the GI100's are fed by the power amp speaker outs, which are panned hard left/right in the recording (so the 6L6 side is left and the EL34 side is right). All the guitar tones were generated by the GI100's--no mics were used.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the GI100. The GI100's speaker sim is decent (I do prefer it to the Microcab I recently sold); certainly good enough for demos and late-night recording when I don't want to keep the wife up. I could certainly foresee using it in combination with a couple of mics for a super thick recorded guitar tone... pan an SM57 hard left, pan an e609 hard right, and put a little GI100 dead center in the mix. I could also envision keeping one in my gig bag for when sound guys show up with cheap-o mics at gigs. I like the fact that it can run on phantom power when there are no 9V batteries around. Well worth the $35 for one, probably well worth the $70 for two.

-=-=-

Then I used the following setup for bass:
G&L Tribute L2500 -->
Horizon passive direct box -->
Behringer BDI21 (set for "Reggae" setting as described in the manual) -->
ART Tube Channel preamps

Then, similar to the guitars, the BDI21 bass signal is panned hard left and the passive direct box is panned hard right in the recording.

I'm extremely impressed by the BDI21... it warms up the direct tone of the bass considerably, and provides just enough EQ and gain to be useful but not overkill. I far prefer it to my Bass V-Amp, mostly for the sake of simplicity, but I think its analog nature contributes considerably to the tone. It'd be nice if it had a compressor, but for $30, how can I criticize? (May be a good excuse for me to pick up the Behringer bass limiter/exciter pedal for ~$20, which is supposed to be similar to the Boss LMB-3.) I can already tell that this will be used on every recording I make from here on out, most likely running the passive bass signal and BDI21 in parallel like I did on today's recording.

-=-=-

Still waiting for the ADI21 (acoustic direct box) to arrive, but now I'm pretty optimistic about the prospects of it as well. I'll probably use it in a parallel setup as well, where I run the pickup of the acoustic through the ADI21 then put a condenser mic on the acoustic, too.

--B

With the recent addition of the direct boxes, here's the latest studio setup:

Last edited by bduersch; 10-29-2005 at 10:12 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 11:14 AM

hey brent, i use the ultra di and di100. i also use the rapco passive di's. i must say that i love the ultra di line. for the money, you can't beat them.

my rig is setup like this:

line6 pods:
2 2.0 pods
1 bass pod

into ultra di's

into behringer mx3282a

bussed down to 8 for the delta 1010lt
sonar producer ed. 4

my yamaha dtx3 special kit goes into the ultra di100 as a stereo feed into the 3282.

tone kills.

from the main outs of the 3282, i run into a bbe sm 362, ab international 950a. then into 2 yamaha club 4 15" monitors and 2 peavey pv215s. loud as hell and sounds great. my mics are 3 sm58s and 1 sm57. condensors are akg and mxl. 3000 and 2000, 990 and 991. killer home setup. i have 2 bcf2000 controllers that i cannot get to work with my sonar yet. any tips?

rich

Tags
acoustic guitar , amp tone , condenser mic , power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode