Best 1x12 Combo Amp for around $1500 New - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Best 1x12 Combo Amp for around $1500 New

Hello-

I am going back to school this fall semester. Though im sure I would get away with my current head/2x12 setup again, hauling around with no car and plenty of stairs is just a great pain is the @ss. Im gonna keep it at home, and Im going to buy a combo amp. I was thinking about a 2x12, but that would take up way to much space and would really be redundant. I am also not looking at hybrid or solid-state amps...just tubes please!

What are your recomendations? I play shred/metal/hardcore/blues/jazz, ect. My big three are....Mesa Rectoverb Combo, Hughes and Kettner Dutone (a little pricey), and VHT Fifty/Twelve Combo...any yays, nays, or different suggestions?

Thanks!!!

-Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 06:52 PM

Take a good long look at everything Line6 has to offer. They're amazing, trust me on this, it just takes a bit to get past the useless factory presets and to get used to the controls.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 07:11 PM

Dude, RI said "just tubes please"... Line6 is pretty far from a tube amp.

Computers are nice in the office. But never take one to a gig. Unless you're a techno artist of some sort.
Yes. It is still the '50s technique that rules guitar tone: tubes. Why would you imitate when you can get the real stuff? But I digress...

Try Rivera stuff. They have a 50w 1x12 combo and a 30w 1x12 as well. They're quite portable and if they sound even slightly like my 100 duo 12, I think you'd be content with them. VHT is not a bad choice either.

What do those nice Bogner combos cost these days? I guess you'd be forced to look into the second hand market for them. Or Buddas?

Just put as many as you can in a row, turn 'em up and play long, long test drives through each amp in order to make your local music store staff happy. That's what they get paid for... Good luck for your hunt!
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 07:36 PM

If you've got ~$1500 and want to go all tube, take a look at the Mesa Mark IV 1x12. It's a super versatile amp--90 watts, 12" speaker (either Celestion or EV), 3 channels, footswitchable EQ, lots of knobs & switches. I've been playing one for about a year now, and I'm planning on selling my Nomad 45 1x12 to get a second Mark IV. I use it for jazz gigs, rock gigs (http://www.naughtybutterspoon.com), and home recording (generally heavy instrumentals), and it has never let me down.

The Mesa Nomad combos are pretty cool, too... I have a 45 1x12 and my bandmate has a 55 2x12. Equally versatile as the Mark IV, just slightly different tones. Definitely worth checking out if you've got time to spend at a Mesa shop.

--B
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Orange
Dude, RI said "just tubes please"... Line6 is pretty far from a tube amp.

Computers are nice in the office. But never take one to a gig. Unless you're a techno artist of some sort.
Yes. It is still the '50s technique that rules guitar tone: tubes. Why would you imitate when you can get the real stuff? But I digress...
And if you need a metal tone (or two), a few clean tones, a couple lead tones, and some nice blues-y tones...what then?

Line6 delivers. Period.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
And if you need a metal tone (or two), a few clean tones, a couple lead tones, and some nice blues-y tones...what then
Uh, a 3-channel Mesa Mark IV with footswitchable EQ and Simulclass/Class A operation. Gives you 12 different combinations of preamp tones, EQ shaping, and power amp configuration from a single footswitch bank. Sparkly clean, bluesy grind, deafening crunch, and searing solo--it's all in there. Takes some tweaking and fiddling to get right, but then again, pretty much anything that's tonally versatile takes a lot of tweaking and fiddling.

Believe me... I can't bash modeling amps... I went through the modeling amp craze for a couple years and was completely spoiled by the flexibility. Then one week my bandmate showed up to practice with a Mesa combo and blew me out of the water--superior tone and reasonable flexibility. I put my modeling amp up for sale the same day.

Any amp that's going to pull its weight in my post-modeling phase has to bring the tone, preferably, lots of them!

--B
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Ahhh Two Hands...hows work at Line6?

Seriously man, Line6 makes some good products...Im probably going to be investing in a POD XT this summer for recording and song writing. You can coax out some solid tones of all varietys using one, not to mention all the onboard effects....

...that said, they still cannot compete with a well built tube amp, IMO. Sure, I have heard the "well yeah, you can get 1 or 2 great tones from a tube amp, but 7.82 BILLION decent tones from a *insert computer name here*", and I have to disagree. With a lot of tweaking and a solid base to start from (ie, a good tube amp), you can get many awesome tones....lush, organic, *real* tones. Sure, you might not be able to call up every one of them via a memeory bank like a digi. But I really dont need 100 different tones at my feet during a set...4 max, with maybe the occasional added effect. The only modeling amp that I would even consider at this point is the Hughes and Kettner Zentera, but that is way out of my price range...and I still don't dig it enough to use as a main amp...

Line 6 commentary aside...thanks for the suggestions! Im really interested in a mark IV now...I thought they were out of my leauge price-wise, but I guess not. Bogner combos too...tell me more!

Thanks!

-Andrew
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 10:58 PM

A couple more thoughts on the Mark IV, then I'll go away

I think there are 6 configurations: 3 heads, 3 combos. All the combos are 1x12's. There's a widebody combo with a Celestion speaker, a narrowbody combo with a Celesion speaker, and a narrowbody combo with a 200w EV speaker. Each is voiced a little different, so if you have the means to try different ones out, try them all! (I currently use the widebody combo, but want to pick up a narrowbody with the EV just for variety's sake).

Also, if you go to test drive the Mark IV, take a look at the manual (available in PDF on the Mesa website) first. Better yet, print out the "suggested settings" pages and take them with you to the music store. There are so many knobs & switches on the Mark IV that it can take a while to find the right tone--having the sample settings to look at is a good starting point. (When I first got my Mark, I almost sold it because I couldn't find the tone I was looking for. Then I got wise, read the manual a couple times front-to-back, and was able to tweak it to perfection!) I know there are also some threads on Jemsite on good Mark IV settings that could be a helpful reference.

Good luck!
--B
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 01:47 AM

I'm gonna go with bduersch here and suggest the Mark IV. Had mine little over a year now and I still get that "damn, that's a nice amp" feeling you get when you've just got a new amp.

Since this amp realy is a tweakers dream it would be a REALY good idea to print the users manual before trying one out.

Other amps worth checking out might include Rivera, Engl, Laney and other Mesas.

Mikael
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 02:33 AM

When the versatility issue or multiple different tones are concerned, I prefer to take the simpler, non-patch, non-midi, non-programmed, non-whatchamacallit way. What I think a versatile amp should be able to do/have is:

1) A responsive distortion channel. Should deliver hi-gain sounds but still clean up nicely, not thinning out, when rolling down the vol knob on your guitar. Vol boost for rock solos would be nice as well.
2) Headroom. A wide dynamic range, controllable with your pick. I really dig having sort of a saxophone-like dynamic range, going from whisper to a shout in one phrase. Still working on that a bit...
3) A good clean channel. Thick, round, rich clean sound with some crunch on top if necessary. Wide, not thin.

With all that, you get pretty far regardless of your style.

Well, if you really need to sound like you have 15 amps onstage at once and don't have the money to spend on the real thing, then Line6 might be ok... although their stuff hasn't really convinced me in live situations. Their usefulness in project studios is a fact. But if you need lots of tones, get a good amp and use your head & hands instead of programming...

My Rivera delivers all the goods mentioned in the list above. The Mesa I had was tighter beyond all recognition, but didn't have much variety when tweaking the guitar's vol knob. I've heard lotsa good things about Mark IV, though.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 08:13 AM

I'm one of those guys that uses a dozen different tones on stage. Digital is good for me and the kind of music i'm playing right now, but i haven't drunk the Line 6 Kool-Aid like TwoHands has.

I've recently found a new appreciation for the sound of a good tube amp. As good as the digital modeling amps are these days, they still don't "breathe" the way a tube amp does. I played through a Dual Recto at a gig and fell in love with the clean channel... it really brought my digital patches to life. I took one for a pretty in-depth test drive and totally fell for it. But it seemed like a shame to spend all that money on a head and continue to rely primarily on my GT-6 for my sounds, and i'm not quite ready to chuck a year of programming my patches to start again.

One day i'm sure i'll want to simplify and just go straight into a nice amp with minimal effects. The Mark IV sounds awesome... i'll have to give one a try.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 10:46 AM

The Rectoverb is the only one I have played (from the amps you listed) and now I need to try the Mark IV.
The Rectoverb is a great combo for my personal taste. Mesa amps can get so many different sounds if you take the time to tweak the settings but I gotta try the Mark IV now!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 10:56 AM

I agree 100% with the last thing Mr Orange said. Having 10 thousand OK tones at your command doesnt make you any happier. It just gets you in a flexability craze when the real flexability is in your fingers. Getting a solid clean tone and a great lead tone that you really like is gonna do more for most people then anything Line6 will ever make. I was into the MIDI, racks, million different channels thing when I was a little younger and more novice. I was never happy. Someone said that same thing to me. Then I found that theres something inherently bad with your sound when trying to copy a million sounds in one gig. Having 1 or 2 truely great sounding tones is a far better feat. Every single time, without fail, that I see a band with the guitar player using a Line6 product, the guitar sound is just flat and dead. I can always tell when someones using one when I go to see another band.

Im glad theres so many people that can find Line6 satisfying. I wish I could. It would make my life easier. But remember, Line6 will never satisfy the discriminating people who's ears are sensative to the difference. Whenever someone has a post were they say "only tube" or "no digital" it always seems to become an argument about who thinks line6 is good and who doesnt.

RythmicIllusion, although the Mark IV is a very flexable amp, its still a high powered amp. In my experience playing one you need to reach high volumes with it for the high gain sounds to not sound buzzy/flabby. Moreso then most tube amps. If your fine with that you may like it. In a dorm or apartment I think youll find it tough. The Nomad is an awefull MkIV copy IMO.

Im not a fan of H&K but thier smaller, cheaper, 3 channel tube combos are what Id suggest. For what they are theres some really decent tone in them. Nothing earth shattering but practicality is your main concern right?

I dont find the cheaper smaller amps made by companies like Soldano to be any better then then many others.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 01:34 PM

Why don't you try the legacy combo? It is a great amp and may fit the styles of music you like. I know it's 2x12, but it's well within the price range and it's an all tube monster.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan D Mahnn
RythmicIllusion, although the Mark IV is a very flexable amp, its still a high powered amp. In my experience playing one you need to reach high volumes with it for the high gain sounds to not sound buzzy/flabby. Moreso then most tube amps. If your fine with that you may like it. In a dorm or apartment I think youll find it tough.
That was actually why it took me so long to get a tone I liked out of the Mark IV... it sounded great loud, but not enough gain at lower volumes. After a couple trips through the manual I learned a few tricks to get good high gain at low volumes:

1) Run the amp on tweed power instead of half power
2) Use class A instead of simul-class
3) Use triode mode instead of pentode mode for power amp
4) Pull the bright boost on the LD channel, and fat boosts on the R2 & LD channels

Doing the first three effectively lowers the wattage of the power amp from 85 watts to about 20 (I believe), so the amount of available gain is significantly increased. That's how I generally run mine for band rehearsals, and I rarely turn the master volume up past 3!

--B

Tags
amp tone , bogner shiva , clean tone , combo amp , dual recto , guitar port , local music store , mesa amps , mesa boogie , mesa mark , mesa nomad , mesa recto , music store , power amp , recto cab , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube combos , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode