Best Amp for Black Metal? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Best Amp for Black Metal?

Hiho.

Wich would be the perfect amp for Black Metal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 09:28 PM

One that works (I'm not bashing black metal, I love black metal)

All you need to do is turn up the gain really high, boost the highs and turn the bottom off so it hurts to listen .

A lot of black metal guitarist use Peavy 5150's I think. You could also use a marshall or mesa or whatever with a metal zone. The most crucial detail is that the amp is loud and bright as hell, IT MUST HURT TO LISTEN TO!!!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 05:35 AM

thauht u boosted the highs, and lows, but scoooooooooooooped the middles!
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 11:06 AM

a randall ?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 01:02 PM

Quote:
thauht u boosted the highs, and lows, but scoooooooooooooped the middles!
But thats not painful . Black Metal isn't the same as death metal. Buy some Emperor albums, and you'll understand.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 01:56 PM

Crade of Filth used JCM900s in Russia

On rest of the European tour one guitarist used a Dual Rectifier and the other a Tri Axis and Rivera set up.

On the USA/Ozzfest tour it will be Mesa Dual Rectifiers for both
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealk

On rest of the European tour one guitarist used a Dual Rectifier and the other a Tri Axis and Rivera set up.

On the USA/Ozzfest tour it will be Mesa Dual Rectifiers for both
But i mean real bm bands like burzum, darkthrone, mayhem, dark funeral...
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 10:18 PM

Mesa Dual Recto on modern setting, etc. etc..

wil..
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 10:23 PM

For REAL black metal, I think the Mesa may be too.....modern(?) sounding? Perhaps too bassy with not enough mids (from my experience). I am familiar with Emperor and Darkthrone and the like, I think that a good high gain Marshall with an EQ would be fine. Possibly a later JCM900 model, the SLX maybe. Either way give things a try, but I think the Marshall/5150 route may be the one to go......
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 12:47 PM

Best amps for black metal? To be honest most of the early recordings feature a gvery bad production, one often mimicked in later recordings for that "authentic" black metal sound. Basically, I'd still go for a good valve amp, preferably one with clarity as you pick different strings as it tends to get messy and muddy otherwise, dial back the bass, up the mids treble and presence and slap gain on it. Personally I prefer using all tube gain, but if you really want that authentic type of sound then get a solid state distortion pedal so it sounds less than good. Otherwise, get a Peavey 5150 which should cover all your needs, or a dual rectifier. Old marshalls are good too. Something like that.

Quote:
Quote:

On the USA/Ozzfest tour it will be Mesa Dual Rectifiers for both...
I thought I'd been imagining things. This explains it all. Time to see the shrink.

Currently I think Mayhem's guitarist Blasphemer is using a Dual Rectifier. Other than that I don't know.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees
Quote:
Quote:

On the USA/Ozzfest tour it will be Mesa Dual Rectifiers for both...
I thought I'd been imagining things. This explains it all. Time to see the shrink.

Currently I think Mayhem's guitarist Blasphemer is using a Dual Rectifier. Other than that I don't know.
Saw Mayhem Live .. he uses 2 Dual Reticiferīs
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 04:57 PM

if you want Burzum tone, just buy a Metal Zone and go direct into whatever your recording into.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianboros
if you want Burzum tone, just buy a Metal Zone and go direct into whatever your recording into.
I have a Digitech Metal Master atmo.

i will buy a Marshall JCM800 with the Boss Metal Zone and/or ProCo Rat Distorion and a Rane GE130 EQ

i think that this setup is cool..
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 10:40 PM

Holy crap, I cant believe no one recommended the Randall Warhead. Or did they? I might of missed it. I saw someone say Randall. Anyway, the Warhead is a tubeless beast that kicks ass for any kind of metal. Trust me, I played one with an ESP Hammett model plugged into it and OMG......wild stuff man. Dimebag has it goin on. For metal, its one of the best amps out there, hands down.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by He4D
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianboros
I have a Digitech Metal Master atmo.

i will buy a Marshall JCM800 with the Boss Metal Zone and/or ProCo Rat Distorion and a Rane GE130 EQ

i think that this setup is cool..
Please... Don't use a metal zone... They are ****... Try and find an amp that will give you a sound without using pedals.

Tags
boss metal zone , death metal , distortion pedal , dual rectifier , dual rectifiers , dual recto , mesa dual , mesa dual rectifier , mesa dual rectifiers , mesa dual recto , mesa mark , peavey ultra , peavey ultra plus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode