Best amp for under £200? Will be used for pub/club gigs - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Best amp for under £200? Will be used for pub/club gigs

Ok , my setup consists of:
Stock Ibanez RG1550
Boss HM-2 distortion
Boss CE-3 chorus
(Will add a wah and Boss Delay in there at some point)

I need an amp for less than £200 that will be good enough for gigging pubs and clubs (preferably 2 channels on it)
I've looked at Peavey Bandit 112, Marshall Valvestates 65+80watt, but would like your guys opinions as this is my first time in a gigging band where I need my own amp and you guys are alot more experienced than me.
I play hard rock/metal, and don't want onboard effects other than reverb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 03:53 AM

you could have a look at the Laney TubeFusion amps, they are hybrid amps like the marshall valvestate amps(valve in the preamp, SS poweramp) but imo they sound much better.

alternativley, and probably a better idea, you could look at some nice 30-50 watt used valve amps. A Laney VC30 would be a good one to get.
The spec for the is here http://www.laney.co.uk/flash/frameset.htm

you could also save up a bit more than 200 and go for something else
Cornford MK50 head would probably suit you nicely
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 03:55 AM

oh yeah if your looking at SS or hybrid amps you will probably want more wattage, 50-100 should be about right i think
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

thanks for that. can't really stretch my budget for the laney valve amps.
So looking for a solid state/hybrid really for price/wattage concerns.

anybody else with some input?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 01:07 PM

Laney LC15R.. 15watts, all valve, EL84 power section.. sweet british tone out of a 1x10 speaker with reverb.. within your price range.

may lack a bit in volume but if u have a PA system u know how to use a microphone to mic you guitar up dont you? ;-)

far sweeter tone than the Valvestates.. I used to run a

Fender Contemporary Standard Strat w/ DiMarzio Paf Pro's
Boss MT-2
Laney LC15R

^^ great tone!! and I didnt mic up at band practices altho it wasnt an imparticularly loud band..

Tags
dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , marshall valvestate , paf pro , peavey bandit , valve amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode