Best bridge humbucker for a strat?! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Best bridge humbucker for a strat?!

Im considering two new guitars here:
The American Special Mahogany-bodied HSS Strat
and
The American Deluxe HSS Strat.
The first has (of course) a mahogany body, and the second (of course) has an alder body. Both will have (of course) maple necks, and rosewood fretboards.
The stock bridge humbuckers are ok, but not as good as a good ol' DiMarzio. I like a warm, fat, yet screaming tone, that can clean up when the volume on the guitar is rolled down.
I also love that DiMarzio "aw" sound.
I currently own a JS1000BP, and the Fred in the bridge is ok, I like its harmonics and "aw," but its just too Satch!
My amp is a Carvin V3 through an Avatar 2x12 with Vintage 30s.
For the mahogany strat, Im thinkin a Norton.
For the alder, Im thinkin a Tone Zone, Air Zone, or Breed.
Any suggestions? Thanks guys!
smitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 05:46 PM

Re: Best bridge humbucker for a strat?!

I'd say to go for the Tone Zone. Or maybe an Evolution, as they were developed for an alder-bodied guitar, as you probably already know. For the mahogany Strat, I'd suggest just about anything Seymour Duncan. Maybe a Custom or a Duncan Distortion?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 06:37 PM

I'd recommend a Seymour Duncan 59. I don't know how Breeds would sound in alder.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
I'd recommend a Seymour Duncan 59. I don't know how Breeds would sound in alder.
A '59? I really wouldn't use one of those in the bridge position. If you want vintage, maybe a Pearly Gates? Fender used to use a slightly hotter Pearly Gates in their SSH Strats.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 09:35 PM

If you go with alder, definitely go with the TZ. A year ago I put a TZ in my ash strat and haven't looked back.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, Im lookin for a vintage/modern tone. Thick, singing...beautiful, basiclly. Im not a SD fan AT ALL.
I like the Tone Zone idea. That sounds like id work quite well. Im listenin to "Get out of my yard" right now, and PG's tone with that pickup is awesome. But what about the Norton in the Mahogany? Thats probly gonna be my #1 axe, so....
I wanna get it right.
smitty
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Yeah, Im lookin for a vintage/modern tone. Thick, singing...beautiful, basiclly. Im not a SD fan AT ALL.
I like the Tone Zone idea. That sounds like id work quite well. Im listenin to "Get out of my yard" right now, and PG's tone with that pickup is awesome. But what about the Norton in the Mahogany? Thats probly gonna be my #1 axe, so....
I wanna get it right.
smitty
For mahogany, the Norton sounds like it might be good. The Air Zone would be pretty good, too. Have you tried DiMarzio's Pickup Picker?

Also, check out Bare Knuckles. They're a pickup brand in the UK, and on every guitar forum I've been to, I've heard nothing but good about them. They have several models, ranging from vintage to extremely over-the-top. They're handwound, as well. I've heard Elderly Instruments sells them over here in the US.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 02:30 AM

I know you said you're not a SD fan at all...but I've got an American Fender Double Fat Strat with two SDs in it...it's got a Pearly Gates Plus in the bridge position and it sings! Harmonics come really easily, it's a very full meaty sound, with plenty of clarity - it also cleans up very nicely when rolling down the volume...

just my .02
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
I think in the Mahogany Im gonna go Norton/Cruiser/Air Norton S.
In the Alder Im goin Air Zone/Cruiser/Pro Track.
I like the clarity that I get from medium powered pickups, but still I like a good amount of power. Those 2 seem like the highest power of the medium powers, if that makes sense, and thats exactly where I want to be.
Im also thinkin maybe Ill go the same p/ups in both guitars, and get the nice tones from the woods. Norton/Cruiser/Air Norton S (or Pro Track) in both. The Norton seems like it was made just for me. The low end and mids of the Tone Zone, plus some of the Fred overtones and harmonics? Thats perfect!
I have no idea why I don't like SD's, but everyone Ive played on has this...SD-ness that I just dont like yet cant put my finger on. But whatever, DiMarzio rules!
Thanks guys.
smitty
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 11:13 AM

duncan custom. works great in all woods. especially great for strats. in alder, the tone zone is great, too. i have the TZ in 2 alder guitars: old kramer baretta and frankenstein charvel/kramer super strat. i have the custom in 2 strat type axes: rt650 and custom ash jem. all of them sound phenomenal. the enhanced bass from both pickups make the trebly ash/alder sound bigger. i just went with the duncans in the ibanez's because i wanted more of a strat type tone from the neck positions, so i bought duncan stag mags for the neck and wanted matching bridge hums. amazing combo: stag mag and custom. thoroughly recommended.

rich
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, its now down to Air Zone or Tone Zone for alder, and Norton in Mahogany. But Im still considering doing the Norton in both.
smitty
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Well, now that Ive checked out a little about the SD Custom, it also sounds pretty cool. But does it have that DiMarzio trademark "aw" sound? I love that! And I know that SDs have that singing quality I talked about, but not always the "aw."
smitty
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:37 PM

Reviews: 2

Only Dimarzio has the "Aw" sound; Seymour Duncan usually has an "A" (or long vowel sound compaired to Dimarzios short vowel sound in the midrange)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Alrighty. I think whats what I found I dont like about SDs.
So one more question, cuz I think Ive actually decided on the Norton for both.
The Norton is under the "medium power" section, but not all of them are the exact same output, like how the Mo' Joe is higher output than the Fred. How high is the Norton's output compared to the Fred? thanks!
smitty
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 01:40 AM

I've tried all sorts of pups in my Alder Jackson and I finally swapped in an EVO just for kicks and it's friggin amazing! This pup absolutely rocks! Can't go wrong with a Tone Zone either.

Tags
air norton , alder body , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge position , double fat strat , duncan distortion , fat strat , fender double fat strat , kramer baretta , mahogany body , maple neck , maple necks , neck position , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , seymour duncan , super strat , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode