Best compressor pedal? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Best compressor pedal?

Hi,

Been looking at getting a compressor to limit some of the volume spikes I occasionally get when playing a Music Man JP6 with piezos into a clean (acoustic guitar) amp. I know that some of this is down to occasional lapses in my technique, however I've tried a Boss CS-3 and that did help with a more 'produced' and even sound. Trouble was that its pretty noisy and messed with the beautiful piezo tone too much. Any other better quality compressors out there I should try? I've heard good things about the Maxon CP9+ but rarely see then in the UK, and there is the Keeley but thats very expensive and I'm not happy paying boutique prices just for a name.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 05:42 PM

Re: Best compressor pedal?

Well, when I read the title I was going to recommend the Keeley, but then I read the rest of your post

Seriously, the Keeley really is a very good pedal - you're not paying for a name, you're paying for a great compressor. I would highly recommend it.

With the two knob version if you leave the sustain at zero you then just have to set the level to your liking. No other controls to worry about. I use it on all clean tones for precisely the purpose you are looking for, to even the levels out. One of the best pedals I've ever bought (second only to the BB Preamp )

Jon
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

This is probably the best comp pedal(to my ears) i tried and I tried a lot.
It even has a VERY GOOD speaker simulator so you can record directly.
The whole X-series is very good and easy to sell if you want/need.
Digitech website has some good samples.
The bass version is awesome too.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 07:04 PM

Reviews: 9

Maxon CP101, excellent optical (quiet) compressor for 130 ish. I got offered a new one for 115 from a store in London.

It's great.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 07:44 PM

Despite owning and very much liking a Keeley compressor, I got my hands on an Analogman "CompROSSor" and ended up selling my Keeley a week later. They're kinda pricey but can be found between $130-160 used (I paid $150 shipped for mine and it's mint). Try thegearpage forum, they pop up from time to time.

The keeley was still a really good compressor though. And the 2-knob version is actually still a 4-knob, the other two knobs are just internal mini-pots This is the version I had as well and ended up selling it for $130 to give you an idea what you can find them for used.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 10:31 PM

Reviews: 1

If you really want a good compressor, not noisy, great compression that do not transform your sound like a "plastic" or adding a "fake" sound like others use to do... Well, this one rocks and would not screw up your tone like others.
The tone control is a great add to a marvelous compressor.

Anyway, it's 200 new and worth it 100%. For me, this is the best compressor pedal you can get and people who don't agree is because they have not tried this one. Some people who owns this compressor says things like "Perfection", and I agree 100%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa50qw9j5bc

I wish you luck finding something that sound like this one... lol

Last edited by Vintage_freak_forever; 06-02-2011 at 07:33 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:07 PM

Reviews: 120

Theres some pretty simple mods you can do to the CS-3 which will make it quiet(er) and give you a more natural sound. I modded mine, and posted about it on my blog.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Got the Digitech and a Maxon CP9Pro+ (the new one) on its way, got a week to check them out and I'll send one back, will report back tomorrow asssuming they arrive then.
Cheers for the info so far.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 08:03 AM

Reviews: 4

I believe the keeley 4-knob, works perfect for me for my djent tone.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 AM

Id recommend unreservedly the Rothwell Love Squeeze compressor pedal. Around 119 so not that expensive but some great boutique sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
Hi,

Been looking at getting a compressor to limit some of the volume spikes I occasionally get when playing a Music Man JP6 with piezos into a clean (acoustic guitar) amp. I know that some of this is down to occasional lapses in my technique, however I've tried a Boss CS-3 and that did help with a more 'produced' and even sound. Trouble was that its pretty noisy and messed with the beautiful piezo tone too much. Any other better quality compressors out there I should try? I've heard good things about the Maxon CP9+ but rarely see then in the UK, and there is the Keeley but thats very expensive and I'm not happy paying boutique prices just for a name.

Cheers!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 AM

Reviews: 57

I've tried a pile of them. Two standouts are the Diamond compressor and the Carl Martin Compressor/Limiter.

The Carl Martin was on my board for years. Didn't alter my tone one single bit, but did it's job. I hated the Keeley and modded Boss ones.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 02:29 PM

Reviews: 7

i would vote for MAXON, great compressor , most try it out.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 07:18 PM

As you might be able to tell from my account name, i LOVE my cp-9! its one of the original ibanez ones rather than maxon (same insides i belive). It might not be what some people are looking for as it can be a bit noisy with high gain (im sure there is a mod somewhere to fix that). and it adds a slight glassy top end shimmer; which i love, but some might not.

Tags
cs-3 , keeley compressor , maxon cp9

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode