"The best" distortion pedal of all time - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

"The best" distortion pedal of all time

I was thinking, alot of people have alot of different views on this, some prefer the metal zone while others say it is feeble and weak. Others say the Ds-1 is the best for overall distortion. There are alot of Distortion pedals out there but I dont think anyone or a group of people have defined one as "the best." There might be subcategories such as 70's rock pedals, or all out suffocated "balls on the wall" over the top distortion.
I think it would be cool if we could come up with maybe 3 or just one pedal that gets the vote.
Aslo is spending upwards of 1k justified just to get that sought after pantera type distortion or can it be done using a pedal?

Everyone comment so we can find the ultimate pedal!

It might also be cool to post soundclips so we can compare!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 06:33 PM

I'd have to say the Korg Hyper Distortion 104ds.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 06:59 PM

Electro Harmonix Big Muff, Ibanez TS-808 (TS-9 too, but the 808 predates it so it takes the cake)..... I think those are the big 2. Maybe the SD-1.....but IMHO I don't think anything from Boss should be considered "the greatest ever".....
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

The big muff is pretty cool, isnt it fuzz distortion? Does it work well in lead playing i know it is great for tuned down guitars! Ive heard that the Korg hyper distortion gives a great sound but at the price of reliability is this true?
Has anyone tried a Hughes & Kettner Warp Factor? or a Zoom tri-metal, its gotten rave reviews, and yes I know its a zoom but its as solid as a rock and all analogue circuitry, apparently it has more gain than anyone could use with a triple stage gain circuit!
Oh yeah and wot about these distortion pedals that have tubes in them are they any good?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 07:37 PM

for the old punch ya in the dick distortion I used to use a ProCo Rat not that new issue crap but and old school one..

I also have a Boss Metal Zone in the arsenal which provides the chunk I like..

Believe it or not the Danelectro Fabtone is also a cheap versatile pedal..

But none are ready to be called #1 especially the dano but they work for me and thats all that matters..
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 09:47 PM

For "Distortion", my votes (overdrive is another story):

Tonebone Hot British
Marshall Shredmaster
Marshall Guv'nor
Old small box Rat

...and somewhere in there: Zinky True Grit

Greg
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 10:42 PM

For distortion:
Original Rat
Metal Zone

For Overdrive:
Tube Screamer

My fave boxes aren't pedals, though. I love my DG Stomp and (don't laugh) my Rockman Sustainer.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 01:07 AM

My basic distortion tone comes from my Carvin X100-B head combined with a VooDoo Lab Sparkle Drive.

I have the Vol and Dist levels on the Sparkle Drive set fairly high at about 3 o'clock and the clean boost at about 12 o'clock. The clean boost feature creates a very full sound and really punches through the mix. It simulates having 2 amps - 1 distorted and 1 clean - both mixed together.

I also use a Boss DS-1 to "kick it up a notch" for metal sounds and distorted leads. The DS-1 is set with the Vol at 2 o'clock and Dist pretty low at 10 o'clock.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 03:23 AM

Z. Vex Fuzz Factory.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 03:42 AM

I'm with JESTER on this one. There are loads of distortion pedals I've never played, but of the ones I have, I have to say I like the

1. ProCo Rat (The cool thing about the Rat, I'm not saying it sounds HEAVENLY when you do this, but! You can plug it direct into the board, and it actually sounds eh... ok. Much better than most pedals. It has a bit of a "real amp" vibe to it.
2. Boss Metal Zone

and for overdrive, same thing

3. Ibanez Tubescreamer

For an honorable mention, there's a pedal I still to this day like, but I seem to be a minority of one. I like the DoD Grunge pedal. Heavy!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Wots the Dod death metal and grunge like? I think the zoom tri - metal gets my vote, it has more gain than you can use - which is very cool, and its virtually noisless with an amazing bottom end!, really tweakable. No more putting all buttons to the max to get a a good sound - extremely tweakable.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 08:36 AM

The Grunge pedal is like a flatulent elephant on steroids with a buzzsaw up its @ss. Whoa...
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

sweeeeet......
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 10:30 AM

well i duno if you can call it a dist pedal but it kinda is despite just being a pre amp.

i have to say the mesa v-twin pedal. im blown away by mine
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 10:38 AM

3 is a sensible number

I reckon the most famous coveted eeryone thinks is amazing - sell on ebay for stupid $ pedal is the TS-808 Thats number one.

But everyone knows that the real connoisseur uses and aodres the fulltone fulldrive. So I reckon thats number 2 on the list.

Thats 2 overdrives...so I'm guessing that I should really stick a distortion box on there...um the DS-1 is the most popular world over, but greatest?? I dont think so...

I'm more of an overdrive pedal guy myself, prefer to get my gain from the amp and then add some over-drive. So I cant add a distortion box to my list. But maybe the Fulltone Dist pro as that sounds schweet.

Track7

Tags
boss metal zone , death metal , distortion pedal , electro harmonix , les paul , marshall guv , mesa boogie , overdrive pedal , voodoo lab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode