Best HD video camera for under 200$ - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Best HD video camera for under 200$

Hey guys. Just looking for a HD video camera that will record sounds decently(as well as HF videos of course) and will be able to be used on my computer as a web cam(how would I got about doing that?).
Just wondering if you all have any opinions.
Is the Sony Webbie a good choice?
BTW, I'm talking under 200$ on ****, not brand new .

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 10:45 PM

Re: Best HD video camera for under 200$

I hear the sony's are nice. I really want one too but I can't decide and I have no $$$, thanks college! hhaha
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 02:22 AM

This is very interesting, I just went through 2 weeks of research about this very same subject.

For under $200 your best and main focus are pocket HD camcorders. The best out of all of these is undeniably the Mino Flip series. The mindHD($169 on amazon) or Ultra FlipHD($179) are the best ones of these. Check out youtube for videos of these products and videos recorded with the cameras.
If you want to go cheaper with only SLIGHT reduction in video quality, check out the Creative Labs VadoHD ($124 on amazon). There is such a slight difference in quality that it is almost indistinguishable. Though, it has more vivid colors compared to the Mino cameras, which some like and some don't.

Those are your 2 best choices for these pocket video cameras. They both have GREAT quality for the price ($150 or less). The kodaks seem to have hardware issues and quality is not up to par compared to the others. The new kodak, the zi8 has built in motion reduction, but from checking out samples on youtube its almost no even worth it to use it lol.
A lot of people mention that there are issues with blurring when you move the camera quickly.. but really.. how can that be a complaint given the lens size? Even with digital reduction you still can't fight it. Best solution is to either have a steady hand or record with a tri-pod.

What did I choose in the end? A digital camera. Yes.. a digital camera. Canon has this new camera out, the SD780is that records 720p video. I checked 10 videos out on youtube for the video quality and it performs great even in low light situations, and the image quality is fantastic, so its a 2 for 1 really. I got it for $219 on amazon. I wanted to upgrade my current digital camera anyways so it all worked out in the end for me.

Good luck, its a tough decision!

Watch in HD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5y0A9N1-E8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58pdrwGZAy4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Si_QMqtJlM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UltG_WUH9fk

Edit:
These cameras' microphones are really only made it record decent sound within 20 feet of the camera. Your best bet, if you wanted good quality audio, is to get the new kodak zi8 which actually has a mic-in port. You can carry around a shotgun mic or get one of those good quality clip on mics and attach it to a shirt.
For everyday stuff, the mics on all the cameras I mentioned would suffice, but if you were to really record guitar playing then I suggest micing your playing separately with a decent audio rig then syncing the video and audio later on.

Sony Webbie is the only one I heard of that can be used as a webcam, but reviews on the units are pretty bad. Really, just sang a logitech webcam on **** for $20 lol.

Last edited by Yousef; 09-23-2009 at 02:38 AM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 04:34 AM

Kodak Zi6.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 08:57 PM

Sony just made one like a Mino, it's cheaper too and I believe better. At least more space and it is 1080p
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 04:15 AM

zi8 1080p hd and mic-line in! i really want one
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much guys! I've decided on the Ultra FlipHD!. Hopefully it works great! anyone know of a decent tripod to buy for it?
THey say it works with any standard tripod
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 02:42 AM

Any Targus tripod is decent. You can get them on **** for $19.99. For ultra portability check out the gorillapod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode