Best Metal distortion pedal - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Best Metal distortion pedal

I have a Boss Metalzone and i can coax some pretty good sounds out of it with an eq, but its certainly not the best tones i have heard for metal.

what are your fav pedals for metal?
standalone analog pedals please

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 10:43 AM
Banned

I just picked up a Hughes and Kettner Warp pedal off The auction website that starts w/ E.
It is a kick butt little pedal. I have at least 40 different distortion pedals laying around, and this is definately up at the top of my list for "Best Metal Pedal"
Go check one out, I think you'll like it. It was designed to get super high gain with 7 string guitars, and not loose the bottom end.
Good luck,
Steve
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 12:35 PM

My 80's ProCo Turbo Rat.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 05:26 PM

Korg 104ds Hyper Distortion. Not made anymore but I got one from eBay for $50 and man, what great distortion plus it has "Cab Simulation" which is awesome. It has 2 channels so you can set up a rhythm & lead sound. Only bummer is the effect on is slightly quieter than the the bypass volume.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 12:26 AM

I had one of those Korgs once - at low volumes it sounded huge, but high volumes felt like a chainsaw going through my head.

It's easy to get a good sound out of a DOD Grunge, although it's pretty much always a very phat tone. The out of production Ibanez Fat Cat is also good (not really that fat, ironically, but great).
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 07:48 AM

I love the Marshall JH-1 JackHammer for heavy sounds, though I tend to use mine more as an overdrive pedal these days. I was given a Metal Zone by a friend, who was using it as a paperweight. I use it in front of my wah, where I can warp its fizzy tone into wild filter sweeps.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryangraye
I had one of those Korgs once - at low volumes it sounded huge, but high volumes felt like a chainsaw going through my head.
i've never tried it loud to tell you the truth. it's the perfect low volume practice pedal because like you said, it sounds huge.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:48 AM

Metal Zone? I used to use it before i got my Mesa, and dynamics aside, if you set it right it's a pretty solid tone. Try boosting the upper mids- i don't remember the exact settings i used to use, but i think the parametric control was between 1 and 4, generally... I know, you're supposed to CUT mids for a metal sound... but give it a go.

-Drew
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

yeah, on the metalzone i usually boost the uppermids a little on the pedal, then i boost them some more on the eq and cut a load of the high end and a little of the lower mids. im usually quite gentle with the bass.

set like that i gets rid of the buzzy high end and gives it a good modern sound that, surprisingly, cuts through quite well loud. Still not as good as an amp witha boost though
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 06:39 PM

Right now I'm using a Boss MD-2, Mega Distortion. It's got more gain than any pedal I've used earlier. It's got a great bottom register.
I'm not completely satisfied with the mid, but it might be my settings and I'm working on it.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 03:07 PM

i have a DOD fx86B Death Metal Distortion.
It is probably one of the most harsh sounding pedals in the world.
I put it through a Marshall JMP superBass100 head into a 2x12" and it sounds EXTREAMLY raw. Chainsaw Nutter style!
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 07:36 AM

3 words, Zoom Tri Metal.......it's true bypass and it's one of the best metal pedals out there today!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 08:07 AM

Go through a TC Electronic Booster/Line Driver/Distortion, and you'll get a transparent drive like no other, but you must have good amp distortion to start with.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 10:30 AM

Another Brisbane Aussie great

Dont get the (out of production now) Boss Heavy Metal Pedal - HM1, i think

I hated it.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 08:07 PM

Reviews: 30
Until I get a 4x12 for the Triple Rec. head, I'm using an Ibanez Smash Box ran to my H&K 1x12 combo and it sounds supprisingly good. Great crunch. Call me crazy, but I view this pedal as my fav. metal distortion. Next would be the Metal Zone. I'm really dying to try the H&K Warp pedal though.

Tags
amp distortion , death metal , distortion pedal , heavy metal , marshall jmp , mesa boogie , music store , overdrive pedal , power amp , stomp box , string guitars , super overdrive , tube power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode