Which is the best noise reduction system? - Help me out!! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Which is the best noise reduction system? - Help me out!!

Hey, all--

Just looking for a good (and hopefully affordable) hush-type unit. *What do you all recommend? *I need to quiet down the hiss on my 5150. *I prefer floor-type units, but am open to any suggestions. *Also, will a noise gate/limiter do essentially the same thing? *I'm just curious if there are strict technical differences or if one company simply calls it something different than another.

Thanks,
mg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 01:32 PM

Which is the best noise reduction system?

I have a SIMPLE answer for you here : *SELL YOUR 5150 if you want SILENT PLAYING/RECORDING. * Especailly if you rely on your Amp Overdrive as your lead tone. *
* The Hush Unit is nice. Rack or Pedal version. *I use a Boss VF-1 Multi effects unit at the end of my chain for delay, reverb, and N/R. *for the price, its a fine N/R that works great live, even with heavy distortion. *
* *Try experimenting with less gain on the amp, *or the "vai method" which is used by many, and that is light overdrive on the amp, pushed even further with an overdrive pedal. *This may remove some hiss, since the gain is coming from a more silent pedal. *I havent really tried that with my rig yet (I can't find my DS-1! ARGH!) but many swear by this combination. *
* *The hissing of a 5150 is what you get from that much gain. *I sold mine and got a Sansamp PSA-1 and a 30 band EQ rack unit. *My tone is even sicker now, and Silent.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Greg!

Just one problem.....I'm too in love with my 5150!! *I just want to quiet down the hiss, and your pedal idea is soon coming into effect. *I just bought an SD-1 and am going to try it out tonight. *The main problem I'm having is that I want a true 3-channel system. *Clean, crunch, and lead. *Why in the hell couln't Peavey have done that for the 5150 in the first place?! *I guess I just need to get as good as Eddie and have someone tailor-make one for me, too. *Anyway, what I'm planning is to run the crunch side as clean as it will get, then using the lead side with the gain down far enough to get a decent thump out of it for rhythm, then using the BOSS SD-1 to send it over the edge for leads. *Think that'll work well? *Any and all advice is really appreciated.

Thanks again,
mg
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 01:55 PM

Slug:
Tell me how it works out. *
Out,
Gregory
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 01:58 PM

Trust me, I was madly in love with my 5150 tone. * It is becaus of my years with a 5150 combo that I hate the gain structure of Mesa/Boogie amps. ( i know I know, blasphemy, but yo, *for $1600, TRIPLE RECTIFIERS have no head room in Gain. *a T.R. on 10 is a 5150 on 6!!) *
* * Its the nature of the beast that the 5150 hisses and buzzes when cranked. *My final judgement on that amp has always been : GREAT Live amp, HORRIBLE recording amp. *
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 02:05 PM
rgr

EVH uses an old Scholz Rockman Noise Gate on his 5150s.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Hey, Gregory--

Last night I messed around with my effects setup and wound up with a very comfortable situation. *I ran the guitar (JEM7BSB and Hamer Californian) through the wah, then the SD-1, then through the Yamaha FX500 for chorus and a bit of reverb and delay. *I put only the Yamaha on the loop and put the gain on the rhythm channel on the 5150 at about 6 for rhythm and used the BOSS for leads. *It worked perfectly, and I actually think I'm going to abandon the lead channel. *It's just too hot and hissy for some of the stuff my band does. *I'm going to buy an EQ pedal, and I think I'll wind up backing the gain on the rhythm channel way off and pumping the drive on the SD-1 up a ways and using the EQ for a boost for leads. *I'm pretty happy with the Yamaha for the other effects, so I'm not going to dive off into a hundred pedals yet.

I'm finally getting happy with my tone!!

Hope I answered your question, and if anyone has any suggestions on mods for this setup feel free to let me know.

Later,
mg

Tags
overdrive pedal , sansamp psa , triple rectifier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode