Best pedal ever! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By FireEagle
  • 1 Post By Formerly Given To Fly
  • 1 Post By Formerly Given To Fly
  • 1 Post By Joshtsavo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Best pedal ever!

I've tried individual pedals and all-in-one processors trying to get that "sound" I hear in my head... Finally after all these years I bought a pedal I should have bought first... an EQ pedal! With all the controls to shape your sound on pedals, processors, and amps I always thought I didn't need one and spent the $$ on flashier things. Still had trouble getting rid of the muddiness when chugging that low E, brightening up the sound when on the neck pickup, etc... So I went to he local music store and bought a Boss GE-7. Wow! What a game changer... Wish I had bought one years ago! So easy to dial in your sound no matter what you need... With pedals or processor, no problem. Best money I ever spent on anything gear related!!

Just passing it on... If you play electric guitar and don't have one... Get one!
mike570 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:35 PM

Re: Best pedal ever!

Are you using it in front of your amp or in the FX Loop? There is a big difference...

Last edited by Formerly Given To Fly; 03-26-2019 at 05:46 PM. Reason: simplified
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Are you using it in front of your amp or in the FX Loop? There is a big difference...

Well... In the loop, sort of. Guitar - Boss ME-80 processor - EQ pedal - into the FX return on back of the amp.

I wasn't sure if I should go into the EQ first or what... What way do you suggest?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Well... In the loop, sort of. Guitar - Boss ME-80 processor - EQ pedal - into the FX return on back of the amp.

I wasn't sure if I should go into the EQ first or what... What way do you suggest?
Basically the way you are doing it. I am not sure how familiar you are with the Mesa Boogie Mark Series amplifiers but the built-in 5 band graphic EQ is between the preamp and power amp. The experience of engaging the EQ on Channel 3 of a Mark IV is like hearing a wall of roaring tigers and a choir of angels simultaneously. It is wonderful! The problem is when you turn it off, the tigers and angels go away too. (Those are technical terms by the way.
FireEagle likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Cool Re: Best pedal ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Basically the way you are doing it. I am not sure how familiar you are with the Mesa Boogie Mark Series amplifiers but the built-in 5 band graphic EQ is between the preamp and power amp. The experience of engaging the EQ on Channel 3 of a Mark IV is like hearing a wall of roaring tigers and a choir of angels simultaneously. It is wonderful! The problem is when you turn it off, the tigers and angels go away too. (Those are technical terms by the way.

Well good... I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. I hadn't really thought about it too much, but tried it in between the processor and fx return and it immediately woke up the entire setup. It was like the clouds parted and a sun beam illuminated the room! So I think I know what you mean regarding the tigers and angels... I started going through my favorite presets, switching guitars and pickups, etc... What an amazing little pedal! I've had a lot of pedals come and go in my search for a good versatile setup, but this was a total game-changer.

When using pedals into an amp I used to just put "time based" effects in the loop, like delay, flanger, etc. Would you still put the EQ in the FX loop in that instance?

No, I've never tried a Mark IV, but my daughter's boyfriend just bought a Roadster that I want to test drive...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Well good... I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. I hadn't really thought about it too much, but tried it in between the processor and fx return and it immediately woke up the entire setup. It was like the clouds parted and a sun beam illuminated the room! So I think I know what you mean regarding the tigers and angels... I started going through my favorite presets, switching guitars and pickups, etc... What an amazing little pedal! I've had a lot of pedals come and go in my search for a good versatile setup, but this was a total game-changer.

When using pedals into an amp I used to just put "time based" effects in the loop, like delay, flanger, etc. Would you still put the EQ in the FX loop in that instance?

No, I've never tried a Mark IV, but my daughter's boyfriend just bought a Roadster that I want to test drive...
Just to clarify, the graphic EQ sliders on the Mark Series need to be set in a "V" curve (scooped mids) to get the tigers and angels. This tone works as a heavy rhythm tone, effortless lead tone, and can always be heard. The point was how powerful an EQ can be when placed between the preamp and power amp but I am not accounting for many other factors that make the Mark Series amps sound good.

I would put the EQ in the FX Loop but before the time based FX.

The Roadster is a "great" amp!
FireEagle likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:23 AM

I've been there.
for once I thought the GE-7 helps me shaping the tone to my liking.
it can be use for volume booster as well.
but after a while, I realized I miss the warm and organic of the amp.
so at the end of the day, I'm better without it.

I use it on fx loops.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Right... it is nice to be able to switch it on and off. My brightest guitar is an old '89 540S and I find I don't need the pedal to brighten the sound as much as other guitars, especially ones with vintage output pickups. Nice to have it for a boost or treble boost for solos though.

Since I got the pedal I discovered something else. Did you know that most guitars have a tone knob? You know... that knob that you never touch that's down by the volume knob? Just kidding of course, but I never ever touched my tone knob until now. I can brighten the guitar enough that at times I actually roll off the highs a bit, during a verse, etc... I like the versatility the eq pedal adds to my setup.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:45 PM

I've got an EVH 5150III EL34 head and matching cab. It sounds amazing as is, but I can't play it anymore without my MXR 10 band in the loop. Its like taking a blanket off of the cab, opens is up SOO much more.

I've played a TON of high gain amps, have never found one that didn't need an EQ to really get it to open up and thrash.

Best pedal on my board, couldn't live without it.
FireEagle likes this.

Tags
eq pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode