Best pedal for H&K Tubemeister 18 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By therightjem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Best pedal for H&K Tubemeister 18

Hello, I own the tubemeister since 4 years ago. I really love it, but I can not get a really good hi-gain lead sound from it.

I am looking for an OD or DST pedal, with a good control of eq, to have a warm creamy lead tone.

I tried the Boss DS-1 but it did not the job.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:47 AM

Re: Best pedal for H&K Tubemeister 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronoS9 View Post
Hello, I own the tubemeister since 4 years ago. I really love it, but I can not get a really good hi-gain lead sound from it.

I am looking for an OD or DST pedal, with a good control of eq, to have a warm creamy lead tone.

I tried the Boss DS-1 but it did not the job.
Thank you!
Is it an amp or a combo? The speaker is very important to the overall sound and you must run it fairly loud to get more gain from the power stage.

You can get more pre-amp gain by simply using your DS-1 as a booster pedal, turn the distortion right down and the level right up, don't put it in the FX loop but straight into the amps face.

I think you're looking for saturation and sustain rather than distortion if you want a warm creamy sound, try using the pedal on the clean/crunch channel as well.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

It is an amp. I use it with a 2x12 Celestion V30 cab.
The lead is really bright and hi-end oriented, so I need a warm OD I think...
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
It is an amp. I use it with a 2x12 Celestion V30 cab.
The lead is really bright and hi-end oriented, so I need a warm OD I think...
It should sound great through a 2x12, I don't understand why you want to use a distortion pedal for EQ when you can tune it using the tone controls on the guitar and the amp?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
It should sound great through a 2x12, I don't understand why you want to use a distortion pedal for EQ when you can tune it using the tone controls on the guitar and the amp?
I think amp tone controls are not enough to get the hi-gain I am looking for!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I think amp tone controls are not enough to get the hi-gain I am looking for!
Ok, so you want METAL, not creamy, warm 70's stuff.
Try the new boss wazacraft metalzone, hard to beat for the money and a really powerful EQ. If you can afford more then get the Revv G3, it sounds incredible.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Ok, so you want METAL, not creamy, warm 70's stuff.
Try the new boss wazacraft metalzone, hard to beat for the money and a really powerful EQ. If you can afford more then get the Revv G3, it sounds incredible.
This sound is approximately what I am looking for:
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 12:05 AM

Reviews: 2

Weird. I have the same amp and find the lead channel kind of dark. I like the sound, but anymore I use it as a pedal platform amp. I have a Wampler Pinnacle. Works great in the clean channel, great warm lead tone and it's not bright and buzzy, like a DS1 can be at times into a clean channel. Also, check out the JHS AT (Andy Timmons). Nice, warm lead tones out if that, as well.
KronoS9 likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by therightjem View Post
Weird. I have the same amp and find the lead channel kind of dark. I like the sound, but anymore I use it as a pedal platform amp. I have a Wampler Pinnacle. Works great in the clean channel, great warm lead tone and it's not bright and buzzy, like a DS1 can be at times into a clean channel. Also, check out the JHS AT (Andy Timmons). Nice, warm lead tones out if that, as well.
Hello! Thank you for the advice.
One more question: do you have any pedal for vintage tones? I know this is a modern sounding amp, but I would like to get also a good british overdrive tone for rock and blues.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Hello! Thank you for the advice.
One more question: do you have any pedal for vintage tones? I know this is a modern sounding amp, but I would like to get also a good british overdrive tone for rock and blues.
I have a couple for those applications, actually. An Xotic BB Preamp and an Ibanez Tube Screamer. With these two, I typically run a compressor in front of them (in my case, an MXR Dyna Comp) for a little more sustain. The BB is great for blues to to rock, the TS I typically use for blues, it has that great mid-range hump that puts you in SRV territory. On the amp, I use the clean channel with the gain at 1 o'clock and the volume as desired. Keep in mind though, the higher the volume, the more the pedals will drive it. It's not a high headroom amp.

I'm out and about now, if I get a chance later, I'll post a picture of my board.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 05:05 PM

Xxxxxx

Last edited by therightjem; 12-10-2018 at 10:29 PM.

Tags
lead , pedal , tubemeister

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode