Best pitch shifter/harmonist? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Best pitch shifter/harmonist?

I've been considering lately getting a pitch shifter/harmonist FX pedal, and I've narrowed it down to either the Boss PS-5 Super Shifter or the Digitech Whammy, but I can't decide between the two. Can anybody here describe to me the differences between them, the advantedges/disadvantedges for each, or make a recomendation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 11:44 PM

i havent tried the boss but the digitech is absolutly amazing! soo many crazy options, i guess theres alot of players that use it too, i havent heard too much about the boss. just go with whatever one u like best i guess.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 11:55 AM

Heard nothing about the Supershifter, but SO many artists use the Whammy, and say its a quality piece of kit...

Of course there's always and Evantide H-3000
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 01:44 PM

The whammy pedal is very good for certain things but you really cant beat the eventide. although the g-force is rite up there with the eventide.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 03:05 PM

let me relate my experience.

I was always looking for a pitch shifter but never wanted to spend the money all at once on an Eventide.

That being the case, I kept buying pedals and cheaper processors.
I tried the Boss PS5 super shifter, Boss HR2 Harmonist, Digitech whammy pedals, Zoom units, Digitech units, and a partridge in a pear tree.

in the end, I had spent more than a used H3000D/SX would have cost, and I still wasn't happy.

My recommendation, wait for an Eventide, if you have to have something now, The Whammy pedals I think are a bit more versatile, but the Boss PS5 is about the best sounding of all the pedals I found.

Just my 2 cents
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 03:58 PM

Anyone ever use an ADA Pitchtraq? Curious if it's good or not.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 05:24 PM

If you can't wait for an Eventide, your choice might be made for you depending on whether you need intelligent shifting or not. The Whammy sounds much better than the Boss, IMO, but it doesn't do intelligent shifting. The PS-5, if memory serves, does.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 09:35 AM

Btw, is there a pedal that only emulates the tremolo bar action? The Digitech whammy can do it only downwards (dive-bomb)..
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 10:35 AM

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri M
Btw, is there a pedal that only emulates the tremolo bar action? The Digitech whammy can do it only downwards (dive-bomb)..
If you have a delay unit that has a modulation control, you can use that, PG used to use that in lieu of a bar. The kewl thing with the modulated delay is it goes up and down and you choose the rate at which it does so.

The Whammy pedal goes up AND down BTW

Bamm
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
and a partridge in a pear tree.
I tried this one too. It's a good idea to take the partridge out of the pear tree before connecting it - especially if you're on stage. The harmonizing effect is a bit dissapointing. It basically creates squeek, squaak sounds only. The visual appearanze is better than all others. Just make sure that your jack is securily fastened or it tends to fly away.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 06:52 AM

Eventide hey,

well i really don't know much about these, everyone here seems to rate them.

Is it a rack type thing, or a stop box type thing?
Also what are general prices?
Any pics anywhere?

Cheers
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 08:55 PM

The eventide is a 2 rack space multi efx box. It is mostly known for its pitch shift which is the best hands down. It has also got every other effect you could think of . I'm suprised you are a guitar player and arent familiar with them. I've gotten familiar with them because evry one of my guitar heros has one. Go to vai's site and you can see them in his older racks. Better yet go to eventide.com
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 09:39 PM

Yeah it is a little strange i'm not familiar with them but i guess its just one of those things.

The name eventide harmonizer has always been around vai and those but just never looked into it hehehehe

Thanks for the feedback
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 01:03 AM

Hows about using all 3....
Eventide GTR4000, TC Electronics G Force, and a Whammy

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 01:11 AM

You make me sick. Why oh why couldn't I have more money.

Tags
digitech whammy , digitech whammy pedal , eventide gtr , expression pedal , pitch shifter , rack space , tremolo bar , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode