Best Place to buy gear in Washington DC area???? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Best Place to buy gear in Washington DC area????

Help me out. I'm in the DC area for an extended period of time, and I need to know where to get gear. Any recommendations for music stores that might cary a good selection of used gear (like Ibanez????)? I've checked out the Guitar Centers, and they're pretty standard. I'm looking for those little hole-in-the-wall places that have a gold mine of cool gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 12:03 AM
Vendor

Chuck Levins WMC, but they don't carry much in the way of used.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I went by there too. Not a bad place, but you're right - no used gear. Lots of amps, lots of Gibson and Fender. Some new Ibanez gear, and really the prices weren't bad. Way under GC on the electronics stuff.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 03:40 AM

Victor Litz Music Center in Gaithersburg is a pretty cool shop and they offer a decent selection of used gear.

If you're brave enough to venture onto I95 north to the Baltimore area, Bill's Music in Catonsville is a great store to hang out in for an hour or so. They have a nice used gear area, and a few new Jems.

Where are you staying near DC? I'm in Pasadena, MD - about 10 miles south of Balt. - on the Chesapeake.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

I'm in College Park.

I'll check out Victor Litz and Bill's. Thanks!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 06:50 PM

pick up a phone book or search on Yahoo's Yellow Pages. There are all kinds of small shops around the area. I used to pass by half a dozen all of the time and didn't even realize it. I search the Yellow Pages and ventured out to several of the smaller mom and pop type shops a few years ago and found all kinds of wonderful used gear. I never bought any, but it's out there!

Anything specific you're looking for?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

I hit a couple I got out of the phone book, but no gold mines yet. I'll probably head up to Baltimore next weekend and see what's there.

I'm not looking for anything particular, other than Ibanez guitars of course.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 09:29 PM

OMG ! The used gear Mecca is right in your backyard ! Atomic Music is the only place to go for used stuff in College Park and the surrounding areas. Do a google or phone book search.

Bryan
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

I actually ran across Atomic the other day on accident. Great store. That's exactly what I was looking for - that type of store. They had a few Ibanez axes, and lots of amp/effects. Very cool. I would, however, recommend that if you're thinking of buying a Les Paul there, look it over VERY carefully before you spend your $1200.

Tags
ibanez guitars , les paul , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode