Best recommended Pickups - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Best recommended Pickups for Destroyer 2

Hey everyone,
Just have a quick question for anyone out there on pickups. I recently bought a 1996 Ibanez Destroyer 2- DT400 w/ stock QM1 & QM2 pickups.
I would like to swap them out for something a little newer. I was looking at Dimarzio and liked the EVO2(B) and either Liquifire or PAF Joe (N). I called and talked w/ someone at Dimarzio for recommendations and they were not very helpful. I play Alice n Chains-Soundgarden-VH-Def Leppard- little Boston, Foo Fighters, etc. any suggestions? thanks

Last edited by jimf; 08-25-2011 at 12:15 AM. Reason: add guitar type
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:54 AM

Re: Best recommended Pickups

Have you checked out DiMarzio's pickup grid that has a treble, middle and bass graph for each pickup?

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humb...ower?view=grid

Might help you decide what you are looking for, the PAF Pro is an awesome DiMarzio pickup for the neck by the way, but my fave neck pickup is probably the Seymour Duncan SH-2
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:27 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Best recommended Pickups for Destroyer 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimf View Post
I called and talked w/ someone at Dimarzio for recommendations and they were not very helpful.

They are not gonna be much help if you don't tell them the wood of your guitar and your specific taste. If I'm not wrong, must be basswood right? If is that kind of wood you should have no mayor problems with the pickups.
For the bridge my favorites are the evos and the super distortion (wich is gonna give your the whole metal from the 80's and 90's) and for the neck, I tried the paf pro (I liked unit I swapped for a fred) but now the pickup I liked most for the neck is the PAF DP103, really sweet sounding pickup, great sustain with great combination for clean or distorted sounds. I can hear the whole music from the past from my guitar with that pickup.
Anyway...
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 06:19 AM

If your open to other brands besides Dimarzios, a duncan JB in the bridge and a SH-2 in the neck would sound awesome...I use that combo in one of my axes and it sounds great.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone,
Just have a quick question for anyone out there on pickups. I recently bought a 1996 Ibanez Destroyer 2- DT400 w/ stock QM1 & QM2 pickups.
I would like to swap them out for something a little newer. I was looking at Dimarzio and liked the EVO2(B) and either Liquifire or PAF Joe (N). I called and talked w/ someone at Dimarzio for recommendations and they were not very helpful. I play Alice n Chains-Soundgarden-VH-Def Leppard- little Boston, Foo Fighters, etc. any suggestions? thanks
Evo 2 and Liquifire is the combo I have in my main guitar now. Compared to the Evo 2, the Liquifire is darker but sounds great in basswood. I love Evolutions, but the Liquifire works better in that guitar.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

I'm guessing that you have the Evo 2 in the Bridge and the Liqifire in the Neck........ After several days of pondering back and forth-----then back again, I am leaning toward the Evolution DP159 in the Bridge and the PAF Pro DP151 in the Neck position. But until i buy them, that isn't set in stone.......
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing that you have the Evo 2 in the Bridge and the Liqifire in the Neck........ After several days of pondering back and forth-----then back again, I am leaning toward the Evolution DP159 in the Bridge and the PAF Pro DP151 in the Neck position. But until i buy them, that isn't set in stone.......
Indeed. The Evo 2 in the neck position is good but trebly and a bit thin sounding to me.

PAF Pro in the neck is excellent. Go for it. PAF Joe is good too, excellent in basswood.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I've got a Super Distortion Bridge/PAF Pro neck in my DT-420. Awesome combo:

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. It really helps with the decision making. I think my choices' will be a good combo.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous_rob View Post
If your open to other brands besides Dimarzios, a duncan JB in the bridge and a SH-2 in the neck would sound awesome...I use that combo in one of my axes and it sounds great.
I'm really key on the JB Jazz combo it can really do any sound very well.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Reviews: 11

Tone zone/ air norton!!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Tone zone/ air norton!!
Not unless he does LonePhantom's "Taming The Tone Zone" mod--the body is mahogany. It will sound pretty dark if it's not "tamed."

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Not unless he does LonePhantom's "Taming The Tone Zone" mod--the body is mahogany. It will sound pretty dark if it's not "tamed."
And if his amp is a Mesa Mark series, it will sound dark and muddy.

Avoid at all costs.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone,
Alice n Chains-Soundgarden-VH-Def Leppard- little Boston, Foo Fighters, etc. any suggestions? thanks

Dimarzio Super Distortion, one of the best pickups from Dimarzio. And for that kind of sound, they are perfect.

Tags
destroyer , dimarzio , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode