Best tube preamp pedal for ss amp - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2003, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Best tube preamp pedal for ss amp

Hi - i'm looking to pick up a tube preamp pedal as a second channel to my tech 21 trademark 10. Looking for something in the marshall vein, but not too expensive. So far, hughes kettner tubeman, mesa v-twin, tube works 901, tonebone classic/hot britsh come to mind but would like to have personal experience with these and others. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2003, 07:31 PM

It depends what sound you're after.
I can get a totally awesome blues sound when using a Boss OD-1 through my Jazzchorus but the OD-1 isn't exactly a tube preamp.
For Metal I'd rather go with a Mesa V-twin or bottlerocket.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 12:07 AM

The only tube preamp pedal that I own that sounds amazing is the Soldano Supercharger GTO.
http://www.soldano.com/new/newsite.html
You will get an amazing sound with this pedal. It will sound even better through a tube power amp.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 10:10 AM

The Mesa V-Twin does the best job BY FAR!!! of accurately giving you the sound the company is famous for. But I dont like the Dual Recto sound and if your looking for something british you may not either.

Stay away from the H&K. I tried the Soldano GTo and I dont really know how I feel about that. Im an SLO100 owner and it definitly doesnt make your amp sound anything like that. Its starts out sounding very nice with a mild overdrive. It seemed like the more gain you dialed in the more it sounded like dull, fuzzy solid state. Its also noisy and finicky.

The Tonebone seems to be the hyped up british type distortion pedal. To me its still very harsh. But many Marshalls are too. Id say if your into Slash's tone you may like this pedal. It doesnt sound exactly like a Marshall Silver Jubilee but it has much of the same character. Ive heard the Jubilee distortion described as sounding like a very subtle wah is on, half ****ed, as a filter. The Hot British is similair in that way.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for their comments..
Dan - interested in your thoughts on the h&K? Tubeman no good?
Soldano seems a bit steep in price for one channel, whereas the v-twin can be justified (2 channels versus 1).
The tonebone sounds interesting, but again >200 for one channel....i dunno.
Guess' i'm looking for the best bang for the buck BUT do not mind paying more if it's worth it.

jeff
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 01:44 PM

Um, for the price some of these things go for, you might be better looking into a second Trademark 10 and an A/B box... just a thought.

-D
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 02:28 PM

Ive had the H&K Replex and the Tube Rotosphere at different times. Although I liked both effects I feel there was a seriouse design flaw. They were both very unreliable. Sometime they wouldnt come on or would shut off or make weird noises, etc... Many people report the same thing.

It could be they were using a faulty component for a while and fixed it now (i wouldnt bet on it) or it could be a design flaw. Ive had many effects through the years and Ive owned plenty of faulty boxs. I know when somethings not right.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 02:31 PM

Hey you may like the V Twin alot.

Theres many more tube pedals then what youve mentioned.

Tags
distortion pedal , dual recto , power amp , tube power amp , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode