better recording program? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

better recording program?

Hi, Im interested into getting a recording program package and debating pro tools or cubase5. havent tryed pro tools but have tryed a cubase3 for a little bit. pro tools seems to be better b/c it comes with some equipment and software but i havent used it so...what do i know lol. anyone have suggestions on them? im useing cool edit 2.1 atm and its alright but the effects and stuff kinda blow.
thanks 4 your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: better recording program?

I haven't messed with computer-based multitracking for a few years, but I really liked Cakewalk. I also liked Acid.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 03:43 AM

try... Presonus studio one pro...its drag-n-drop...very easy & very fast to learn...Presonus has good/great hardware...i was a sonar pod.user...now...i like studio one pro..the program doesn't get in the way of my creativity...sounds great and offers options not found in other D.A.W.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:17 AM

Reviews: 13

I'm a heavy Cubase 5 user.
I've tested many DAWs in the past, but I always came back to the old and good Cubase.
Fast as a lightning, stable as a rock: I load TONS of heavy VSTs, and it never crashes.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:52 PM

Reviews: 2

I'm a Pro Tools guy. It's the professional standard for a reason. Of course it's also about a billion times more expense for a full HD setup than any of the other options.

What are you actually trying to do with it?

If you just want to record yourself shredding you'll want a different setup than something to record a full band live.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:45 PM

Its probably only a matter of time until someone says Reaper. May as well be me.

I personally like Cakewalk Guitar Tracks a lot,I also have Pro Tools but it is too much, and if i need midi and software instruments and the whole 9 yards i use Ableton LIve
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
I'm a Pro Tools guy. It's the professional standard for a reason. Of course it's also about a billion times more expense for a full HD setup than any of the other options.

What are you actually trying to do with it?

If you just want to record yourself shredding you'll want a different setup than something to record a full band live.

well i want something to record myself and live stuff aswell, cool edit is doesnt cut it.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 02:18 PM

Reviews: 59

Cakewalk, Cubase, Pro-Tools, it really doesn't matter. There is no difference when it comes to sound quality since all depend on your source, your mics, and your computer.
The only real difference is that Cubase and Cakewalk allow you more flexibility when it comes to hardware/interfaces while Pro-Tools requires that you get specific hardware to run their stuff.

All of them have a learning curve so expect to spend a little time getting used to the program but, once installed on your computer with updated drivers, none should require more than a few minutes of set-up to do regular audio recordings.

I myself use Cubase 5 and I've found it to be perfectly adequate for a home recording solution and I'd recommend the Essential version to the home hobbyist. If you're looking to get really deep into things, you might want to go with the studio version. I don't really see a need for anyone other than a professional using it for a living to own the full version of any of these.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Reviews: 13

I only have in-depth experience with Cubase 5 but I highly recommend it. Although I'm not a massive fan of its GuitarRig software.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I haven't messed with computer-based multitracking for a few years, but I really liked Cakewalk. I also liked Acid.
I use Cakwalk Producer series but like everyone else I thought it was complicated, I did and almost everyone else I know like Acid and Cubasefor their ease although Cubase can get a little hairy.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom24 View Post
I only have in-depth experience with Cubase 5 but I highly recommend it. Although I'm not a massive fan of its GuitarRig software.
Here here!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 01:33 PM

Reviews: 6

Reaper all the way for me
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanized View Post
Its probably only a matter of time until someone says Reaper. May as well be me.
For anyone working on a budget (read: almost everyone working at home) I don't see a reason to use anything else.

It's cheap - you can get a fully functional license for $60 for non-commercial use, and you can "try" a fully functional copy indefinitely with nothing disabled, save for a 5-second pause on startup. It's incredibly user-tweakable, from keyboard shortcuts to skins to some pretty obscenely powerful routing options (you can send anything to anything), so you can make it look and function like almost anything you want. Customer support is great - the folks at Reaper are very supportive to their community, and are constantly rolling out new updates with refinements suggested on their forums. It also has a very low CPU footprint, loads quickly, and has a number of very efficient plugings. And, a lot of them are just very good - ReaVerb is a fully-functional convolution 'verb that can also be used as a host for cabinet or amp impulses, ReaComp is the easiest compressor I've ever used to set up for sidechain compression, and ReaEQ is both very effective and VERY low-resource, so it's become my go-to EQ plugin.

It's really a great program, and even if cost was no object I don't know that I wouldn't prefer Reaper to anything else I've used.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 02:39 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: better recording program?

I use Cakewalks Sonar, and it's fantastic! I have 2 friends who both run the Sonar series and we all use "8" producers edition...

Most of the recording software has pros and cons...My one suggestion would be that if you have friends who record, get together and all use the same stuff! Reason behind this is it's easy to work on all the stuff if you do any collaborations. also if any of you have questions, or problems, you have other guys to bounce ideas and questions off of...

We all just started using the same systems years ago, and have helped each other grow!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I've used cakewalk, sonar, and logic pro. Cakewalk was buggy, sonar was pretty rock solid and easy to use, and logic pro is turning out to be pretty reliable and solid, though it took longer to figure out how to do some things with it. For logic I actually had to read the manual, which I try never to do

Despite being buggy, I used cakewalk to record two or three albums. But sonar was definitely better in a number of ways. You do get additional value from the more expensive packages.

Tags
cubase , pro tools , recording

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode